I've read lots of posts about the pros and cons of waiting for the next generation of Surface Pro, assuming it will get Broadwell. Most comments involve intensive use such as gaming or graphics. Here's my situation:

I plan on replacing my old netbook with a Surface Pro in the next six months or so. I don't do heavy gaming, graphics, or CPU-dependent work. I do a lot of ordinary browsing, Word, and email-type stuff so CPU power isn't the main issue.

It sounds like the battery life benefit of Broadwell, however, makes it worth waiting for. I'm interested in the range of opinions on this decision.
    08-05-2014 11:43 PM
    I've read lots of posts about the pros and cons of waiting for the next generation of Surface Pro, assuming it will get Broadwell. Most comments involve intensive use such as gaming or graphics. Here's my situation:

I plan on replacing my old netbook with a Surface Pro in the next six months or so. I don't do heavy gaming, graphics, or CPU-dependent work. I do a lot of ordinary browsing, Word, and email-type stuff so CPU power isn't the main issue.

It sounds like the battery life benefit of Broadwell, however, makes it worth waiting for. I'm interested in the range of opinions on this decision.
    Comeback and ask when you are ready to buy. Hypothetical questions tend to get hypothetical answers. One thing is for sure, when Broadwell is released forum pundits will be posting No! Wait for cannonlake it's the bomb. My point is buy when you need, because there is always something new in the future.
    08-06-2014 08:32 AM
    No. Its only worth waiting for Broadwell if you have applications/games that require sustained cpu/gpu power.

For general use, any of the sp3 variants will work fine. There will likely be some battery life savings with broadwell but I don't think it will be massive.
    08-06-2014 05:42 PM