My Surface Pro 3 Docking Station just arrived

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
UPS just delivered my SP3 Docking Station. I really like the magnet built into the left side. It is really strong and secures the pen well. It is even easier to dock/undock than my old SP2 Docking Station. I'm a student and a veteran; so both discounts were the same through the Microsoft store.
This is my current setup (taken with a Lumia 1520): (Hard to believe not too long ago everything I owned had an apple on it)
WP_20140815_14_44_17_Pro.jpgWP_20140815_14_44_44_Pro.jpgWP_20140815_14_44_01_Pro.jpg

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Too much awesomeness in one picture! :D

If I wouldn't need a desktop for the occasional gaming I still do on it (mostly WoW) and I wouldn't be limited in budget, I would get a bit more powerful Surface Pro 3 and the docking station and just replace my desktop with it. But since for probably a few years more my desktop is capable and I still game a bit on it, I ended up just getting an i3 config SP3 to replace my aging first gen RT. Not to mention the dock is quite expensive too :p

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How are you able to set up a 2nd monitor? Any special adapters you need to do say 2 monitors plus the sp3 screen?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
How are you able to set up a 2nd monitor? Any special adapters you need to do say 2 monitors plus the sp3 screen?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

This Docking Station has a Mini DisplayPort built into the back of it. The design of the Docking Station also leaves the SP3's Mini DisplayPort exposed. I use HDMI to connect to my external monitor. To connect via HDMI you would need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (about $25; I'm using an Insignia), and of course a HDMI cord.
To connect 2 monitors and use the SP3's screen you would need 2 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters and 2 HDMI cords. One set would be plugged directly into the SP3 Docking Station Mini DisplayPort to the first monitor, and the other set would be plugged directly into the actual SP3's Mini DisplayPort to the second monitor. You would then need to configure the setup of each monitor under Settings/PC and devices/Display.

They also sell Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cords, but the ones I encountered where more expensive than the adapter and too long for my needs. I also already had spare HDMI cords.

I hope this helps. Daniel posted a link earlier in his post about the SP3 Docking Station now being available, but I don't have link posting permissions yet.

Xboxonthego2

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Surface Pro 3 Docking Station as well, but Mini Display Port on the Docking Station not working for me. I tested the Docking with my brothers SP3 and works fine. Looks like call Microsoft.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nice set up! Which version of the SP3 are you using? i3, i5, or i7? I do a lot of photography and some video editing, so I'm still not sure if would want to dump my desktop for my SP3 entirely. I have the i5 128GB with 4GB RAM, my desktop is an older Dell Studio 540 with 16GB of RAM and 2 x 1TB drives in RAID 1 configuration, internal DVD and Blue-Ray drives, and a 27in monitor.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine came today as well. Quite happy with it. I've got my i5/8/256 installed in it now...

I set the system to display only on the external monitor and it feels just like a desktop. I have it connected to a Dell 30" 3008FWP 2560x1600 display via DisplayPort (standard-to-mini cable), the USB hub in the monitor connected to a full-sized keyboard and the monitor's memory card readers, and to a gigabit ethernet cable.

And I must say, the gigabit ethernet port on it is full-speed -- not like some USB "gigabit" ethernet adapters. I did a 65GB data transfer (Surface system backup) and I saw peaks of near 920Mbit with sustained speeds of 750Mbit.

With the Surface in the dock, the built-in screen off and the keyboard folded up, I'd swear I was using a desktop machine. Color me satisfied.

Add to that, I'm liking very much the Surface Edition Arc mouse. Love how it folds flat to turn off for storing in a case and pairs instantly with the Surface as soon as you turn it on.

I know Microsoft has been having troubles gaining traction with their Surface offerings, but I gotta say the Surface Pro 3 and the accessories they've created for them are pretty much as close to a home run as one can get in the tech business. It's a great piece of hardware and I hope sales are enough to push MS to continue.

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Nice set up! Which version of the SP3 are you using? i3, i5, or i7? I do a lot of photography and some video editing, so I'm still not sure if would want to dump my desktop for my SP3 entirely. I have the i5 128GB with 4GB RAM, my desktop is an older Dell Studio 540 with 16GB of RAM and 2 x 1TB drives in RAID 1 configuration, internal DVD and Blue-Ray drives, and a 27in monitor.

I'm using the same; i5, 4GB, 128GB with an added 64 GB microSD. It has solely replaced the 13" MacBook Air, iPad Mini, and 27" iMac that I used to have in my life. I even replaced my iPhone 5s with a Lumia 1520. So far I haven't encountered anything I haven't been able to accomplish. I am still amazed how I can go from a desktop, to a laptop, to a tablet, and then back in seconds with little-to-no effort.

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine came today as well. Quite happy with it. I've got my i5/8/256 installed in it now...

I set the system to display only on the external monitor and it feels just like a desktop. I have it connected to a Dell 30" 3008FWP 2560x1600 display via DisplayPort (standard-to-mini cable), the USB hub in the monitor connected to a full-sized keyboard and the monitor's memory card readers, and to a gigabit ethernet cable.

And I must say, the gigabit ethernet port on it is full-speed -- not like some USB "gigabit" ethernet adapters. I did a 65GB data transfer (Surface system backup) and I saw peaks of near 920Mbit with sustained speeds of 750Mbit.

With the Surface in the dock, the built-in screen off and the keyboard folded up, I'd swear I was using a desktop machine. Color me satisfied.

Add to that, I'm liking very much the Surface Edition Arc mouse. Love how it folds flat to turn off for storing in a case and pairs instantly with the Surface as soon as you turn it on.

I know Microsoft has been having troubles gaining traction with their Surface offerings, but I gotta say the Surface Pro 3 and the accessories they've created for them are pretty much as close to a home run as one can get in the tech business. It's a great piece of hardware and I hope sales are enough to push MS to continue.

I am contemplating getting the Surface Edition Arc mouse. I currently have the Sculpt Comfort mouse and it works great. I am not sure if I would ever really use a mouse out and about though; especially since the SP3 Type Cover's touch pad is so nice. It is a major improvement over the previous models.

Cutesy_Things

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
heyy check out this skin that i got for my SP3 from stickerboy. just thought it would add an extra touch to my pro 3 and avoid getting scratches.:grin::excited::evil:WP_20140707_23_19_27_Pro.jpg
i have been ordering skins from them for a while now and honestly, they are great. the last time i ordered a skin for my macbook and i messed up on the keyboard, they sent me a new one within a week. they gave me a discount code to use for my orders since im a frequent buyer. the code "Decal" gave me 10% off my entire order. but not for nothing, i love how my surface pro looks now. i think the skin enhanced its appearance :cool:

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
heyy check out this skin that i got for my SP3 from stickerboy. just thought it would add an extra touch to my pro 3 and avoid getting scratches.:grin::excited::evil:View attachment 76942
i have been ordering skins from them for a while now and honestly, they are great. the last time i ordered a skin for my macbook and i messed up on the keyboard, they sent me a new one within a week. they gave me a discount code to use for my orders since im a frequent buyer. the code "Decal" gave me 10% off my entire order. but not for nothing, i love how my surface pro looks now. i think the skin enhanced its appearance :cool:
That looks real good, though if I tried to install it would be about 30 degrees off with bubbles.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
nice, is that textured like it looks or just an effect? in other words does it feel like sandpaper/grip tape?

heyy check out this skin that i got for my SP3 from stickerboy. just thought it would add an extra touch to my pro 3 and avoid getting scratches.:grin::excited::evil:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
heyy check out this skin that i got for my SP3 from stickerboy. just thought it would add an extra touch to my pro 3 and avoid getting scratches.:grin::excited::evil:View attachment 76942

I checked a video of them applying some Royal Primavera skin on the SP3, they made it look so easy and the end result looked pretty sweet, but I'm still sorta against skins myself, the device is beautiful as it is :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05