My Surface Pro 3 Docking Station just arrived

taiohnokami

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
speaking of protective skins, does anyone know if the surface pro 3 with a protective skin will affect it being docked in the docking station at all? when i had a surface pro 2, i put a skinomi clear skin on it, and it made it so it did not fit in with the sp2 docking station as well, and as a result scratched up my ports. did anyone encounter this at all with the surface pro 3? i put a protective skin on mine and am afraid that my ports will get scratched up.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
You're not the only one - and swapping it out may not help. Check out the ongoing conversation here...

Make sure you've applied the firmware update that came out last week(or was it two weeks). That seems to solve the issue per Microsoft's support forums.

I had already applied it to my Surface and the dock display port works fine.

sixstringsteve

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine just arrived today too. Everything works, except it's overheating with simple tasks. It doesn't overheat when it's outside the dock, but I've got the thermometer icon after 3 minutes of use. Not good.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine just arrived today too. Everything works, except it's overheating with simple tasks. It doesn't overheat when it's outside the dock, but I've got the thermometer icon after 3 minutes of use. Not good.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Which SP3 model are you using (i3, i5, i7)? What are you accessing when this happens? Can you hear the fans turn on? I have the i5 model and have run it for hours in the dock with no issues. In fact I'm still waiting to hear my fans turn on. The only time I feel heat on my SP3 is when I undock it, it might be a little warm where the charging port is.

Fallen Cpt Jack

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you've applied the firmware update that came out last week(or was it two weeks). That seems to solve the issue per Microsoft's support forums.

I had already applied it to my Surface and the dock display port works fine.

No dice. Per the support forums link I posted, it works for some but not for others. I'm one of the others.

sixstringsteve

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I've got the i7, but I found the problem. The software I was running (rocksmith 2014) didn't like using the docking station for audio. I guess that software has a known issue with usb-based audio peripherals. However, once I unplugged the 1/8" stereo audio jack from the docking station, everything worked fine. In fact, it has no problems sending audio through the mini display port. It hasn't overheated since. I'll keep this thread updated if anything changes.

farskija

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the speakers on the Surface while it is docked? It seems like the sound does not work when I have it docked (I left my speakers back home and I'm in school, a far distance away from where my speakers are)...

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the speakers on the Surface while it is docked? It seems like the sound does not work when I have it docked (I left my speakers back home and I'm in school, a far distance away from where my speakers are)...

You can change the output device. Easiest way to access this is by right clicking on the speaker icon in the task bar notification area, choose Playback Devices, find the internal SP3 speakers in the list and set as Default Device. This setting will be remembered so you'll have to change it back if you want audio to go out through the dock in the future.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just got my docking station this weekend, and boy does it make a difference. Instead of setting down my PC and plugging in a DP monitor, a USB hub (which already has keyboard and another monitor hooked to it), and a speaker plug, and having to move my mouse receiver from the USB in the PC to the USB hub, I set it into the docking station and that's it. I leave the Arc Touch Mouse receiver right in the PC, so I won't ever forget it again. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6