Surface Pro 3 issue I haven't seen described elsewhere

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay gang, I've got one that I haven't seen ANYWHERE online, and this struck me as the place to go for advice.

I noticed this on Tuesday after I had installed the new set of updates. It's possible it was there before because it's subtle, but annoying. I haven't really talked with Microsoft customer service yet mainly because I'm between apartments at the moment and I have bigger fish to fry.

If I look carefully at the edge of my Surface Pro 3 (i5 128 GB, bought on launch day), I see what I can only describe as static. It is a waving line of white pixels that is most visible on a dark background but is apparently always there (except against a white background, naturally). Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I tried a refresh because Netflix (Windows 8 app) and X-Box Video both have black borders that make it insanely obvious, and I started seeing the screen flash white every so often (only while streaming video in Metro apps). This is most obvious at the base of the screen, though I can see some of it at the top and sides. It varies between the bezel looking like it's fluctuating to a flash of a white line across the bottom of the screen that is there, and then gone.

This is severely annoying on a device that I use as my main web browser and video watcher. Is this just something that screens do that I've never noticed before (and I have to go back to unnoticing)? Has anyone else encountered this? Since I only noticed it after the most recent update, is it possible that this was a software issue, or is it a creeping hardware problem that only just arose? And are there any solutions short of a swap out?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, if the pixels are flickering white (if I interpreted correctly), and it isn't an on-going thing, it most likely is a software issue. In fact, I had ONE instance of that last night. I swiped up to see my apps list, and for a split second right in the middle of the screen was a thin pink and white streak of pixels. So, I kinda saw the problem you were having. Therefore, I wouldn't fret, as it's probably related to the August update.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I hate to contradict the other person but this is almost certainly a hardware defect. I have never seen that on any Surface device (have owned and/set up them all) but have seen versions on other touchscreen devices. With a Dell XPS 12 it was the early warning of a loose connector between the screen and board. In that case, Dell could open it up and reattach but that is not an option with any Surface device. It is entirely possible that some change in the August update has made the problem more visible but it is typically sourced back to a hardware problem. I would strongly suggest contacting Microsoft Surface support rather than entertaining opinions here or you may find yourself with a major crash before getting a replacement in the pipeline. They may suggest doing a reset but if you describe the steps you have already taken they tend to move things along quickly.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Stephen. The symptoms point to a hardware problem. Of course, to truly rule out hardware you would need to do a hard reset. If the static comes back, then it's hardware. If no static appears, then re-install ALL of your apps one by one, starting with the ones you think are suspect until the static returns. If the static doesn't return then it could have been a corrupted install either with the OS or an app(s).

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I hate to contradict the other person but this is almost certainly a hardware defect. I have never seen that on any Surface device (have owned and/set up them all) but have seen versions on other touchscreen devices. With a Dell XPS 12 it was the early warning of a loose connector between the screen and board. In that case, Dell could open it up and reattach but that is not an option with any Surface device. It is entirely possible that some change in the August update has made the problem more visible but it is typically sourced back to a hardware problem. I would strongly suggest contacting Microsoft Surface support rather than entertaining opinions here or you may find yourself with a major crash before getting a replacement in the pipeline. They may suggest doing a reset but if you describe the steps you have already taken they tend to move things along quickly.

Please, contradict. That's what the forums are for, after all. Besides, I'm not one of those people who brings you down and demeans your opinions/statements, because personally, that's flat out stupid. Everyone is entitled to say whatever he/she wants. 😊

Luke Praeuner

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If I'm interpreting your issue correctly, I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. I only notice it when I'm watching fullscreen videos in metro and I'm pretty certain that is the only time that it actually happens. For me, its just a few rows of pixels at the bottom of the screen that will flash white. Mine is also accompanied by a slight audio glitch. It happens once or twice per 30 minute episode on mine. This definitely didn't happen on my surface 2, but I didn't find it to be a big enough problem to go to support (your opinion may vary.) Just thought I would inform you that youre not alone!

(sorry for poor sentence structure, recovering from altitude sickness from hiking trip in the rockies and Im a bit loopy)

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Glad I'm not alone. I've decided that it isn't a big enough issue to go to support over until it becomes more than a minor annoyance.

I almost wonder if it did happen on other Surfaces, but it wasn't noticeable because they had a 16:9 ration and thus had no letterboxing? Random thought, but an interesting one.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. That could be the issue. Based on what you two have said, I tried to recreate the issue, and couldn't. I watched two different videos; one was a high quality Blu-Ray rip and the other was a DVD rip and neither one caused the problem mentioned. Does it happen to ALL videos you play, or just certain ones? I may be a video quality problem and not a problem with the SP3.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
It apparently isn't a video thing. To attempt to recreate it, find or create something that will make the entire screen black. Look at the bottom edge of the screen. Every so often, sometimes more than others, I get a very thin white line that will appear across the very bottom of the screen. I first noticed it in Netflix and X-Box Video because those apps have the black borders. I have also seen it in Kindle for the same reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro