[SOLVED] Surface Pro 3 docking station won't ouput video even w/same cables that worked on SP2 dock!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140821_16_57_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20140821_16_57_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140821_17_24_21_Pro.jpg

If you're paying real close attention, you'll notice my MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter is plugged into the side of my SP3 instead of in the docking station itself... and that's because it doesn't seem to be working any other way.

The weird thing is that these are all the same connections I used on my Surface Pro 2 docking station and I never got a single problem out of it... but on SP3 it gives me all the device connected sound while my monitor reads "no signal" shortly before going into power saving. I go into resolution settings to assure it's seeing my monitor and it is - it picks up as a Acer G236HL and shows me that it is outputting at the recommended 1080p resolution.

Even tried a couple other 16:9 resolutions... but the video output absolutely does not seem to work when plugged into the docking station. What could I be overlooking here?

Last edited:

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: My docking station came in... having a weird problem with video output.

My brother is having the same problem with his. He has tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. Right now he has been able to get to work every once in awhile. But most of the time the monitor says no signal. I tried my surface pro 3 with the dock and it works perfectly every time. So in my brother's case it isn't the dock itself that is the issue. It is either the driver or possibly the connection on his surface. He has talked with Microsoft they wanted my brother to restore his surface and try again. But with school starting he decided not to. They told him that they are looking into the issue and that he isn't the only one having this problem. So hopefully an updated driver will fix the issue! You might try calling Microsoft yourself and see what you find out. Hope this was helpful!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I think I figured it out. It turns out that the SP3 dock doesn't actually work the same way the SP2 dock did.

First off, it's worth mentioning that the mDP port on the Surface Pro, SP2 and SP3 are capable of active conversion, so they'll handle the dirty work if someone decides to buy a non-active conversion cable

The SP/SP2 dock's video output was essentially an extension of the mDP built into the mDP on the SP/SP2 so my non-active mDP to DVI adapter worked. Obviously, the connection between SP3 and dock don't physically touch the mDP at all - it has an entirely different means of connection that isn't capable of active conversion, so in order for it to work right consistently on the SP3, an *active* mDP to DVI adapter was needed. I don't have one, but I did have an active mDP to HDMI adapter laying around, as well as a DVI to HDMI so I'm doing that instead. Convoluted, but it works...

For people wanting to avoid the same issue, they'll have to make sure they're purchasing *active* adapters that convert from mDP to another interface (VGA, DVI, HDMI) because it must be active in order to be capable of actual conversion.

So Here's Some Links to Active Adapters:
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Active Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Active Adapter

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

Just a heads up... the Apple mDP to DVI doesn't work with the docking station but I found the Insignia branded one does... go figure... lol.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Brilliant, worked for my friend. I think you just solved the problem for all those who couldn't get their SP3 dock's mDP to work.

John Loiacono

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

While I am not 100% sure that this will be helpful, I thought I would post it anyway for those who might have the same problem.

My problem and setup (which I believe is similar to Chalker2's, who started this thread:, consists of the following: I have a SP3 with dock and a Samsung S32D850 monitor. I am connecting the dock's mDP to the DP on the Samsung. The cable is a standard DP to DP, and their is a small mDP to DP adapter on one end. I can connect the monitor to the mDP port on the SP3 with no problems, but I cannot get the SP3 to recognize the monitor in anyway, if I plug in to the mDP port on the dock.

Possible Solution: I spoke with MS Surface Support, and they asked for the S/N of my dock (located on the bottom of the unit) and did a check to see if it had any known problems. Turns it that it does, and their internal database for such things, specifically describes the mDP port being defective. The tech is shipping me a new dock, free of charge, and not even asking for the old one back. For a minute there, I thought I was talking to the Apple Store guys. ;-) I say this is a "possible solution," as I have not received the new dock yet, and therefore cannot confirm that this is indeed the problem. I will report back once I know.

Nimlokltd

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello

After reading your post i have found myself in the interesting position of rolling out 15 surface 3's with docks to my sales team.
One of these has the issue that the adaptor only works via the surface and not the dock as explained above. However due to having so many of these i was able to swap parts round to test but unfortunately regardless of the dock, adaptor or screen used with this surface none worked. All however worked on all of the other surfaces. I am thinking this must be a software bug related to the surface its self.

No further progress has been made with this one tablet and the user now only uses the surface based port.

The adaptors are nothing special, Gray label and cheap but work with the other 14 without issue.

Eric Chapman UNC

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar issue with the new Microsoft Surface Dock (the block style that docks via a cable instead of sliding into a cradle). The first monitor works via Mini Display Port (mDP), but the second monitor says signal out of range no matter what I tried. That monitor does work if plugged directly into the mDP port on the laptop. Unfortunately, the mDP port is partially covered by the docking station cable, so both cannot be plugged in at the same time.

SOLUTION - I went old school - I used a VGA cable to mDP adapter for the second monitor port on the Microsoft Surface Dock. Both monitors are now working as expected at the highest possible resolution. Old reliable VGA for the win!

I left the DVI cable plugged into the back of the monitor. If Microsoft ever fixes the issue via a patch, I can easily plug it back in.

huff1013

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Here's what MS Support had me do when my keyboard/cover stopped working. (no backlight, no keys, no touchpad, anything else weird)
This just worked for my docking station's mDP port, too! (2nd time 1/25/2016)
The problem never was in the keyboard, or in the docking station, it's in the SP3...
I'm using a Startech Multistream Adapter (mDP to 2 DP) Part# MSTMDP122DP.
I hope this helps y'all, too!
Huff

IMPORTANT: Don?t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.
Step 1: Go to Start, and select Power, then Shut down.
(If you can?t shut down your SP3 normally, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.)
Step 2: After your SP3 turns off, Press/HOLD the Volume-Up button AND the Power button, at the same time, 15+ seconds, then release both.
(The screen may flash the Surface Logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.)
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds...
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.
Your keyboard/cover should light up and work normally. (As well as your Docking Station mDP Port, too!)

E s a

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site

jj0583

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I used to be able to connect my surface pro 3 through an adapter (mini-HDMI) to my TV, but now, for some reason, I can only use my dock (the new one). I use the same adapter and cable but it reads no signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos