Review: MIME Glass Screen Protector for SP3

katmandoo122

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick review of the Mime Tempered Glass Screen Protector...since I've put a tempered glass protector on my Galaxy S5, I've become a huge fan of the technology. It already saved my S5 screen and is a lot cheaper than a replacement screen while being nearly unnoticeable.

Unfortunately, for the SP3, the options are a lot more expensive. Best Buy sells a Zagg version for around ~$55. Mime sells theirs for about $50, so I figured I'd try the cheaper version. First thing I would note is that I ordered it on a Sunday morning and got a shipment notification that afternoon. Clearly Mime is a small and well responsive company!

When it arrived three days later, it was a pretty slick package that included the screen, a dust catcher, and a microfiber cloth.

20140814_140603.jpg

It's hard to see, but the dust catcher thing is the shiny sheet under the package. It looks and acts like a cheap screen protector but what you do is after cleaning the screen, you peel the catcher's paper back, place it on your screen, pull it off, and it removes any dust particles remaining. Anyone that has installed a screen understands the importance of removing all dust particles before installation.

As you can see here, the screen itself is very opaque before installation since it has sheets adhered to either side.
20140814_140627.jpg

Full instructions are included in the sleeve that holds the protector:
20140814_140652.jpg

After cleaning my screen, I removed one side of the protector's backing and lines it up on my screen. Here, you can see it begin to adhere itself to the screen. This is a completely dry installation so what you are seeing is the air escaping from under the screen.
20140814_141540.jpg

The protector lines up very well with the SP3's screen and has all appropriate openings for the camera and sensors. After it is on, you remove the outer layer and the screen protector disappears. It took me an extra 60 seconds to get a couple bubbles out and now I cannot tell it's there.
20140814_144822.jpg

It does not interfere with the pen and I doubt it will wear the pen down like some protectors. It also does not interfere with the Type Cover's magnet. However, I will say that it does not appear to do much if anything to mitigate fingerprints as they are just as evident post installation on the protector as they were on the original screen.

Overall, 4 stars. Very very nice if a bit expensive relative to typical, non glass protectors (minus 1/2 star) and although they don't promise it, those looking for preventing fingerprint smudges must look elsewhere (minus 1/2 star).

Still, I would absolutely recommend it if you do not mind paying $50. Easy installation and it literally looks like you've put nothing on your screen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice review!

I like how you added pictures too.

This will be helpful to folks considering screen protectors for their SP3s.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The glass looks pretty thick. There is another screen protector company which I reviewed. Phantom Glass, which is pretty much a Gorilla Glass that you put on top of your Surface or device, and is only 0.2mm thick.
Was Linus right? Phantom Glass Mini-Review - Member Reviews - Linus Tech Tips. I wonder how it compares
I was told by the company that the Surface Pro 3 screen protector isn't edge top edge cut, but close, but the reason for that, it is so that it doesn't interfere with the dock station. After communicating with the company about the Pro 2 which was smaller in size by a bit (covered in my review), they said that they regroup the legacy products together. They won't do a Pro 2 specifically, due that it is now not sold anymore, but they have a Pro 3.
I wonder if your screen protector interferes with the dock station.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786