What is this yellowing effect?

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
About 2 hours ago, I noticed this yellowing effect on my SP3 screen. Can only see it when screen is why but it's getting more noticeable. It's only down the left side of the screen. Attached is a screenshot I took which you can clearly see. Any ideas as to what has happened here? Unreal. Just using it as normal and this happens.

Screenshot.jpg

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
About 2 hours ago, I noticed this yellowing effect on my SP3 screen. Can only see it when screen is why but it's getting more noticeable. It's only down the left side of the screen. Attached is a screenshot I took which you can clearly see. Any ideas as to what has happened here? Unreal. Just using it as normal and this happens.

View attachment 78389

Perhaps I'm stupid but I cant see anything???

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I just realized that I can only see it from my screen capture. I did a little more research and found I am not the only one. Sending it back for replacement as apparently others have had the same issue. Frustrating given that it just actually appeared out of nowhere. I was reading a PDF file and there it was. Thought it was my glasses. Asked 2 others if they can see it and they both said "oh yeah". It's not highlighter yellow but enough where it is noticeable. Rather than take a wait and see approach, given the cost, I don't want to see if it gets worse over time.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that I can only see it from my screen capture. I did a little more research and found I am not the only one. Sending it back for replacement as apparently others have had the same issue. Frustrating given that it just actually appeared out of nowhere. I was reading a PDF file and there it was. Thought it was my glasses. Asked 2 others if they can see it and they both said "oh yeah". It's not highlighter yellow but enough where it is noticeable. Rather than take a wait and see approach, given the cost, I don't want to see if it gets worse over time.
Seems like the only practical solution in this case. I obviously can't see it in the image but what you are describing would certainly have a hardware origin and the fix is to replace the hardware. Even if sent in to Microsoft all they would do is send you a refurbished replacement anyway since they don't really service the devices. It has always amazed me when people come on here or another forum with an obvious hardware defect and then ask what they should do. Nice to see someone actually do the practical thing up front instead of encouraging a debate....

rcenker

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Glad I'm not going crazy. I had the faint yellow ribbon down the left side of my sp3. Called Microsoft and they happily sent me a new device. It just arrived and guess what.. there's the faint yellow band down the left side of the replacement unit! Particularly noticeable if you use a medium gray background as the desktop. Not sure what to do now???

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Glad I'm not going crazy. I had the faint yellow ribbon down the left side of my sp3. Called Microsoft and they happily sent me a new device. It just arrived and guess what.. there's the faint yellow band down the left side of the replacement unit! Particularly noticeable if you use a medium gray background as the desktop. Not sure what to do now???
Call them back and explain the situation.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Received my replacement unit.

Booted up, got all settings set up, and guess what?

There's that yellow band, AGAIN.

It's not as noticeable this time, but still there. Unreal.

I don't want to continue this process. I gave them my CCARD so that they would send me the new unit right away but I'm not going to do that again and have them but yet another hold on my card of $1200. This is ridiculous.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with my SP1, it only appeared after about 8 months. I got it replaced and the new one seemed fine. But now with people having this issue again with the SP3 I'm concerned that it's just going to be something we have to live with. Apparently the retina iPads and MacBook Pros have similar issues and people say it might be related to the high DPI displays or the optical bonding process they use.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Had a similar issue with a Lenovo yoga pro 2. I bought it when it was first released - it was something to do with the yield on the screens, these ultra high def screens can have issues. Make sure you all get replacements and don't put up with it. It's symptomatic of getting these things out fast, for a release. That said I have two i5s and an i7 that are currently not displaying this behaviour. Maybe it's a batch thing, or perhaps a regional issue. Hope my devices won't follow suit :/

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, after 10days of ownership, I too have noticed a yellow band down the left hand side of my screen. :(
Gutted.

Will leave it for a bit and see if it gets worse, but will need to get it sorted at some point.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Three months and no yellow for me. Hopefully it'll stay that way. At least gives hope that not all units are affected.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
This is a well known and documented problem with some SP3 screens. My theory is that this results from improperly applied glue at the factory. I replaced my original unit which had this and the new unit does not.

If you are unable to replace your unit, simply place your taskbar over the yellow streak and you will never see it. Lame solution for a problem which should not exist, but it does solve the problem at least visually.

azskygod

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Moved my icons from the left side of my screen and behold the yellow line. Never noticed it before. I will be returning soon. Thanks for sharing your defect.
i7 512.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Will leave it for a bit and see if it gets worse, but will need to get it sorted at some point.
I lasted a month before finally giving in to getting this sorted.
I've opted for the 'enhanced' support - where they debit your card (put funds on hold), and ship you a new unit immediately... then I can swap over my stuff and ship the defective unit back, then they'll return my held money (hopefully!!).

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What's the best way to test for this? I think I see a 1/4 inch yellow haze on my screen, but this may be from reading this thread, to be honest. Is there a specific color/website I can view which highlights this issue?

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Open up "paint" or similar, set to an all white screen and it should be really obvious!
Despite raising my case 4 days ago, I've yet to hear anything back from MS on this at all :(

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
and ship you a new unit immediately...
Finally turned up yesterday - and that was only after I contacted surface to ask where it was!
So... the Enhanced warranty process was a complete waste of time, and now I've had a ?1000 hold on my card for 2 weeks instead of a few days.
Anyway, fingers crossed this one behaves itself!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos