Are you happy with your Surface Pro 3? Thinking of buying one, but...

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Surface Pro 3, but I'm a little worried, given page after page of complaints with various problems/issues/defects. I understand that a forum is likely to be populated mostly with complaints, and people looking for help from others to solve problems. However, I'm concerned because I haven't seen much in the way of positive posts (I suppose people happy with their devices are just out there using the).

Anyway, are you happy with the Surface Pro 3? Reliability, battery, screen, speed and responsiveness, etc? From a hardware and OS perspective, the Surface Pro 3 would be a great device for how I want to use it. I just want to make sure I'm not buying into something that isn't quite ready for prime time. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

BTW, I'm looking at the i5 model with 256GB of space and 8GB of RAM. $1299 compared to the 128GB iPad Air that I was previously considering ($799.99).

I want to use it mostly as a tablet, but also fewer times as a laptop replacement. Weight an issue when using as a tablet?

​--Chris

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Surface Pro 3, but I'm a little worried, given page after page of complaints with various problems/issues/defects. I understand that a forum is likely to be populated mostly with complaints, and people looking for help from others to solve problems. However, I'm concerned because I haven't seen much in the way of positive posts (I suppose people happy with their devices are just out there using the).

Anyway, are you happy with the Surface Pro 3? Reliability, battery, screen, speed and responsiveness, etc? From a hardware and OS perspective, the Surface Pro 3 would be a great device for how I want to use it. I just want to make sure I'm not buying into something that isn't quite ready for prime time. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

BTW, I'm looking at the i5 model with 256GB of space and 8GB of RAM. $1299 compared to the 128GB iPad Air that I was previously considering ($799.99).

I want to use it mostly as a tablet, but also fewer times as a laptop replacement. Weight an issue when using as a tablet?

​--Chris

I have the exact model you are looking at and got it on launch day. Love the device. Very fast, screen is amazing, battery life is good for the power (6-7 hours at about 80% brightness).

I have had two issues.

1. Keyboard was acting weird and cursor was just randomly jumping around. Last Firmware seemed to take care of it .
2. 2 days ago, a yellow streak effect can be seen down the left side of the machine. Annoying and covered under warranty so rather than ***** about it just getting a new one. No one else has really mentioned this problem so don't think it happens often.

I have not had any overheating issues or even fan noise at all.

I switched from MacAir 2013 edition so I am 100% happy and would buy another or recommend it to anyone.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact model you are looking at and got it on launch day. Love the device. Very fast, screen is amazing, battery life is good for the power (6-7 hours at about 80% brightness).

I have had two issues.

1. Keyboard was acting weird and cursor was just randomly jumping around. Last Firmware seemed to take care of it .
2. 2 days ago, a yellow streak effect can be seen down the left side of the machine. Annoying and covered under warranty so rather than ***** about it just getting a new one. No one else has really mentioned this problem so don't think it happens often.

I have not had any overheating issues or even fan noise at all.

I switched from MacAir 2013 edition so I am 100% happy and would buy another or recommend it to anyone.

Perfect - just the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the 128 gig version.

I have no issues, and the curser issue was with my hand sliding across the track pad on the type cover 3.

I would say it is 100% worth it.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Do a search for defects on any other computer and you'll find just as many complaints. Having worked in manufacturing, a certain percentage of defective products is acceptable. What that percentage is depends on the industry, and I don't know what it is for computers, but I know that defects happen.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the 4GB/ 128GB version, which I bought on the day the SP3 was released in North America. I have not had a problem since...no heating problem, no wifi problem, no yellow line problems...touchwood! Personally, I think this is the dream machine I have been waiting for.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I've replaced my i7 MacBook Pro with the i5/256/8GB model and I couldn't be happier. I travel a lot so the portability aspect is huge, with excellent performance and features at my fingertips. When I'm at home I have it hooked up to a 24 inch monitor and a USB hub which has all my extra gadgets connected, making it an excellent desktop and laptop replacement.

I've yet to experience any negatives, at least not yet. My unit gets warm when playing games like Diablo and StarCraft but standard/average day to day use there is no heating issues. The screen is incredibly responsive and the new keyboard covers are very easy and useful to use.

The biggest negative is the price, but it looks like MS is reducing all models, and with discounts (if they apply) it'll be over 200 less then what people paid for during the first two months of release. My advice, hold onto your current device, purchase a SP3 from MS/Staples or BB and demo within their return periods. This will let you compare side by side and see if it fits your lifestyle and wallet.

anon(66956)

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

​--Chris

The kickstand makes the SP3 easy to use as a tablet. I rarely ever hold my SP3. I just kick back and adjust the kickstand so that it props up on my lap or legs when I use it as a tablet. It is a wonderful feature and design.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact model you're looking at and got in late June or early July. It has replaced my work laptop, work desktop, and personal tablet. I love the device and my dock just came in today! The SP3 can do far, far more than the iPad Air can; simply put there is no comparing the two.

I haven't had any real issues with it for the most part. I am having an issue with the pen not working as well as I remember it did before I went on vacation. I've yet to look into it - might be the new screen protector I put on or it might be the pen or a software issue. Hardware wise no complaints. Software wise just a few, but they are Windows 8.1 specific and not specific to the Surface Pro 3 (ie I have the same complaint on my desktop too).

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine since the week after roll out and haven't had ANY issues. It replaced my SP1, which replaced a 17" laptop and Samsung Note 10.1. My 7 year old daughter loves it too. She can practice handwriting in OneNote. Also, because of traffic, commute times can be a bear here in HI, so I turn on the WiFi on my phone and let her work on any online school work while driving home.

The only thing I haven't done with it yet, is any heavy image or video editing. Which I will give a try eventually. If it works well enough, it may replace my desktop as well. We'll see.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite happy with mine so far. The MS sales rep suggested I get the i3 64gb model if all I am using it for is MS Office and surfing. I slipped in an SD card, and connected my external drive to my WiFi router. It's a great device.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up an i5 256 for my wife. Absolutely love it makes me want to get rid of all the other tablets and IPad and just have an SP3.
Its so much nicer in real life, bugger me getting an Android Tablet a few months ago.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
After getting my SP3 last month i can confirm i will never buy any other tablet ever again. Its awesome and runs everything i would ever want it to - Adam

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of getting one as well. But this news spoilt it all.
HP Envy x2 2-in-1 tablets with Broadwell chips outed a bit early - Liliputing

HP Envy x2 2-in-1 tablets with Broadwell chips outed a bit early
It looks like HP may be preparing to launch a new line of 2-in-1 tablets that become notebooks with the aid of tablet docks. German website WinFuture spotted a few retail listings for unannounced products called the HP Envy 13 x2 and HP Envy 15 x2.

Both computers seem to be Windows machines with full HD displays and Intel Core 5y10 M Broadwell processors.

ziggy3055

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I like mine. It does a good job with normal tasks but I'm not going to replace my desktop for intensive tasks like games and stuff just due to the Intel graphics. It gets a bit warm in the right corner on the back when watching streams or movies in full screen but nothing extreme, it's doing a lot of work during that after all. The fan comes on but is pretty descrete. Good laptop replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss