Battery in my pen exploded...!!!

Infiniteey

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I've only had it 3 days.. What the hell....

Just testing the pen out in OneNote when suddenly I feel and hear a loud pop from inside the pen.
I test the pen and it still works on the Surface. I think to myself that I might be imagining it but open it up just in case.
Unscrew the pen and drop the battery into my bin. I can hear the battery popping like rice crispies.
I look at the pen and can see battery acid on the plastic tag. See picture.
The bin is now outside on my driveway.
Not impressed. Who should I be contacting about this? :angry:

IMG_20140901_215736.jpg

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The tag I don't think should be removed because it has important information on it (ie don't throw in bin) and doesnt look like its combustible.

So, it certainly is a bit of a worry that exploding battery caused by some sort of short circuiting. Did you get it wet? Could be just a case of leaking battery.

Either way, probably best to speak to Microsoft and let us know if the tag should be removed or not!

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm from the UK but the SP3 was bought in the US but I suppose I will try the UK division first and see what they say.

Just get onto Microsoft support, they will sort you out with a replacement. I bought mine in the US and the its still covered by the warranty over here in the UK - Adam

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
As for the tag, I was chatting with a microsoft rep a while back about the pen and mentioned the tag. They specifically instructed me to leave the tag in the pen. I don't think it will hurt pen performance or anything to remove it, but it does have useful information on it as tweedie mentioned above.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Someone posted a picture somewhere that the battery that came with the pen in their SP3 had an expiration date of 2013. Microsoft shipped the tablet with expired batteries. I hope they got a deal on them!

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Someone posted a picture somewhere that the battery that came with the pen in their SP3 had an expiration date of 2013. Microsoft shipped the tablet with expired batteries. I hope they got a deal on them!

Correct me if I'm wrong but did they mistake the manufacturing date (stamped) for the exp date, heres mine...

FWy8xk0.jpg

- Adam

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wait they use a battery on the pen? I didn't know that.... What's the battery for?

The pen has two sets of batteries, the AAAA and 2xcell batteries.

The AAAA only powers the only powers writing, right-click and erasing and the 2xcell batteries power the bluetooth connection. Otherwise it wouldn't function if you unscrewed it as you can't fit a AAAA battery in where the bluetooth is housed.

Source:

Sean Ong's Surface pro 3 videos.

Also this should help, did a quick bing search.

Microsoft Surface Pen for Surface Pro 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans