Overheating issues poll

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just treated myself to a SP3 - still waiting for it to arrive and slightly concerned about these overheating issues!!

However, from what I am reading on here, it sounds like it may only be affecting certain models.

Lets do a poll and find out...

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Unless you mess around with hyper-v and the power management profiles, the alleged overheating problem is way overblown. Get the SP3 and enjoy it. Don't worry about excessive heat or fan operation. That is not a widespread problem.

hollywould

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had mine about a week and a half now, and am noticing quite a bit of overheating. If I use it for anything even just browsing the web or playing casual games, the fan starts up gets very loud and hot if I use it for more than 20 minutes at a time. It cools back off fairly quickly if I put it to sleep for a few minutes, but I am a bit concerned if I need to work for long periods of time, or if I want to do anything mildly intensive for more than a half hour. Hopefully the fix Microsoft was gonna be pushing comes to my device soon. I have a 256GB Core i5 by the way.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Great, another overheating thread.

...and your point? Are you the designated post police? This is probably the first post I have seen where a person has simply asked a question -no rants or tantrums attached. If you don't like such threads don't read them. Otherwise answer the question and move on.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just treated myself to a SP3 - still waiting for it to arrive and slightly concerned about these overheating issues!!

However, from what I am reading on here, it sounds like it may only be affecting certain models.

Lets do a poll and find out...

FWIW, I think the issue has been blown completely out of proportion. If you have one of the rare units that overheats you will know it. At that point, you can choose to replace it under warranty since it is defective or join the crowd either whining (while keeping their defective device) or showing up here to ask total strangers what to do (instead of replacing the defective device).

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine about a week and a half now, and am noticing quite a bit of overheating. If I use it for anything even just browsing the web or playing casual games, the fan starts up gets very loud and hot if I use it for more than 20 minutes at a time. It cools back off fairly quickly if I put it to sleep for a few minutes, but I am a bit concerned if I need to work for long periods of time, or if I want to do anything mildly intensive for more than a half hour. Hopefully the fix Microsoft was gonna be pushing comes to my device soon. I have a 256GB Core i5 by the way.
It is still mind boggling that people will have a defective device and rather than getting it replaced hold on to it waiting for some mythical fix. There really is a need for a reality check on this subject. This is not a problem affecting all devices, nor even a sizeable number. As such, there will be no fix pushed to everyone. It is not a defect in a product line, just an unfortunate defect in some units. If your unit is defective, call Surface support and get it replaced. They are quite friendly and really don't bite. In fifteen minutes (and a express package) your problem can be resolved.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for making the poll, I wish these polls would show up on tapatalk :( I rarely visit the forum via Safaria/IE.

I have a 128Gig I5 SP3: I am not seeing the overheating at all, a few times the fan as come on, the computer has gotten a little warm at times but that is understandable.

Now the Power Supply gets really hot, extremely hot when charging, not hot enough to burn you but pretty close.

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well it's looking pretty positive, certainly for 256gb i5 buyers at least. I'll keep this thread running for some long term views... bound to be a lot of googlers searching this.

Worth bearing in mind as well (in the UK certainly) you are always entitled to a refund if you find any products not "fit for purpose" (if preferred over a replacement or fix).

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
From that overview it becomes clear that more recent i7's have little issue, and that mostly devices from lot 1433# seem to be severely impacted.

Thanks for the link, although it seems lot #1429 (with #1428 close behind) is the really problematic one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss