Firmware Update 9/9/14

Danielo290881

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The following updates will be listed as ?System Firmware Update ? 9/9/2014? within the Windows Update History.

- Surface Pro UEFI update (v 3.10.250.0) improves system experience and enhances overall system stability, including Wi-Fi.
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update (v 38.6.50.0) enhanced support for system performance and user experience, including thermostat icon on boot.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware update (v 3.9.350.0) increases the overall system reliability and compatibility with a Surface cover.
- Surface Integration driver update (v 2.0.1102.0) enhances user experience, including Wi-Fi stability.
- Surface Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver update (v 15.68.3055.107) improves Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth reliability and system stability, and significantly enhances the user experience.

Note When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't seem to fix my wifi issue when coming back from standby. It appears to be connected, but says that I am not on internet. Have to turn wifi off then back on again.
:crying:

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Performed updates about 4 times inch firmware update 9/9/14, restarted pc a few times today.

Just compared ipconfig between states - it appears after starting pc, the Marvell wireless AC has no ip address nor any gateway, yet, according to my taskbar, its connected to my network.

Still unreliable WiFi.

Is the problem with WiFi experienced by anyone including what appears to be connected to my WiFi net after start up pc (whether its completed start from cold or from standby) but seems to have no internet access?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought I lost my SP3 just now, when doing the updates, as I got a thermal shutdown while doing the firmware update :shocked:

I just let it sit to cool down, hit the power button. It did boot up. Went back to the WU to check the history and it showed that the firmware was still pending restart. Aaaa crap... this is going to suck. Did another restart, then it took like an eternity for it to do the firmware. During that time, I said to myself "I should really remember to backup my data before doing firmware updates, for just in case." and "Ok, this is taking longer than it should... When can I get time to go up to the Microsoft Store..." just then it rebooted a couple of times and came back to life.

I have the i7/256/8 btw and haven't had any WiFi issues. They've been rock solid and fast, even after sleep, hibernation, etc.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought I lost my SP3 just now, when doing the updates, as I got a thermal shutdown while doing the firmware update :shocked:

I just let it sit to cool down, hit the power button. It did boot up. Went back to the WU to check the history and it showed that the firmware was still pending restart. Aaaa crap... this is going to suck. Did another restart, then it took like an eternity for it to do the firmware. During that time, I said to myself "I should really remember to backup my data before doing firmware updates, for just in case." and "Ok, this is taking longer than it should... When can I get time to go up to the Microsoft Store..." just then it rebooted a couple of times and came back to life.

I have the i7/256/8 btw and haven't had any WiFi issues. They've been rock solid and fast, even after sleep, hibernation, etc.
Do you by any chance have visual studio installed? I believe it changes something so just wondered if that WiFi instability of mine is cause by vs

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I am still having issues afterwards and I have Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate installed. I also have SQL Server 2014 installed and a few other development tools. I have almost the same software installed on my desktop and my other laptop and neither of them have issues.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you by any chance have visual studio installed? I believe it changes something so just wondered if that WiFi instability of mine is cause by vs
Why, yes, I have Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate installed for my programming class. But I haven't installed anything that enabled HyperV, since I knew that would mess up connected standby.

batboris

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't seem to fix my wifi issue when coming back from standby. It appears to be connected, but says that I am not on internet. Have to turn wifi off then back on again.
:crying:

I don't think this is firmware related, since I have the exact same problem on my laptop. Strangly enough, I don't have it on my desktop PC.
So, I'm guessing this is somehow driver related.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this is firmware related, since I have the exact same problem on my laptop. Strangly enough, I don't have it on my desktop PC.
So, I'm guessing this is somehow driver related.

I completely agree, I have had it come a go on my SP3, Laptop and Desktop - Adam

austen0316

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did this firmware update fix the overheating issue? My i5 doesn't seem to be getting hot enough for the fan to kick on. Just browsing the web made it overheat before.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft just pushed out a second version of the 9/9/2014 firmware update. My history now shows a firmware update on the 9th and one today on the 12th. About to test and see if it helped. Stay tuned. (Have SP3 i5 w/ 256GBs of HD space, for reference).

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I spent the last twenty minutes testing and resting this and unfortunately it still isn't quite fixed. The good news is, however, that it does seem to be close. Prior to this update I was having issues even fixing the problem. I would often have situations where turning the wifi off would break my wifi and I would have to shut down. That doesn't seem to happen now. Once I resume from standby and get into windows, the time to resolve this (by toggling wifi on and back off) seems to be improved. It also seems to redetect my available networks faster now.

I am going to play with my power settings a little bit to see if any of that matters. If you don't hear back from me, it didn't help. Question - how does Microsoft want us to provide feedback on this? I heard they wanted feedback but I'm not sure how to provide it.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Update - FIXED (Possibly)- I contacted Microsoft and they had me to a reset on my device. I reset the SP3 back to factory and updated immediately to the latest updates. I installed no other software. The problem appears to be fixed with a fresh build. I will do further testing and verify this.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Update (again) - After installing my first piece of software, Webroot, it still worked fine. No Wifi issues. I then installed Microsoft Office 2013. No issues. I updated Office 2013. No issues. I installed Visual Studio 2013 - wifi is broken again. There you have it. :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What features did you install with Visual Studio 2013? Personally, since I'm a newbie with VS2013 Ultimate, I unchecked all the extra features and just did a base install. I haven't had any Wi-Fi issues, that I've noticed.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Initially I installed everything just to eliminate or focus on Visual Studio 2013. I reset once again and followed the same procedures (skipping Office). This time I left off the Windows Phone and Windows App Store tools. NOT installing those allowed Visual Studio 2013 to work and have NO Wifi issues. I'm about to install those and see if it happens after installing only those components. I also have a theory as to why they are causing the issue as well as a fix. I'll let you guys know. Sorry for so many posts - I just really want to do my part in finding out what is wrong.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, I thought it was common knowledge about Hyper-V messing things up on the SP3.

I'm hoping MS creates a fix for it by the time I learn enough C# to start writing WP and WS apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos