I'm getting terrible battery life on Surface plus I think my kickstand is too flimsy: please help.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
So today I was doing a battery drain test, I switched to firefox instead of chrome for it. In two hours (19:45 - 21:45) whilst using 15 firefox tabs, onenote, about 30 minutes worth of debugging in VS professional, skype, hexchat, outlook 2013 and some metro apps in the background, I'm down to 58%.

That means that continuing with my current usage I would get 4 hours in total, which is 5 less than microsoft claims.

2. The kickstand works fine, but I find it a bit stiffer to get to 22 degrees than the Surface RT, also when it is between 22 degrees and 150 degrees, I can shake the kickstand and it wobbles a lot but doesnt move because of the friction hinge. Also at some angles when I put it down on a surface like my bed or lap the kickstand moves slightly

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Might be because between the left and right sides there is some give so they may be slightly misaligned.

I noticed this yesterday, i thought my replacement sp3 had a wonky kickstand. It helps if you pull out the kickstand with a hand on each side as opposed to just pulling it out from one side - Adam

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft never said 9 hours of battery life for everything. If you go to the Microsoft store webpage and look at tech specs. It states "Up to 9 hours of battery life for web browsing. Battery life for other uses will vary." Visual studios can be demanding. And I from what I have heard firefox can be somewhat demanding with many tabs open. But if you are doing what you said all at the same time of course you can expect your battery life to be lower than 9. Something to keep in mind in the future don't expect any machine to get what the manufacturer says is the battery life because there is usually a catch and everyone uses a PC differently.

Also on the kickstand what everyone else said is true. There is another thread about it as well. There is also a thread for a loose kickstand or a kickstand that gives way if you search as well.

Hope this is helpful!

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
That is normal. Mine does it and I've never had a problem with the kickstand. It isn't going to be as stiff as previous models because it isn't a fixed kickstand it is fully adjustable. As for the battery life? Microsoft never said 9 hours under heavy multi tasking. They said 9 hours web browsing. Vast difference.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
That is normal. Mine does it and I've never had a problem with the kickstand. It isn't going to be as stiff as previous models because it isn't a fixed kickstand it is fully adjustable. As for the battery life? Microsoft never said 9 hours under heavy multi tasking. They said 9 hours web browsing. Vast difference.

It is normal? Thanks, thats a relief. And ok about the battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett