Battery Drains Overnight?

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is normal, but my surface pro 3 seems to drain overnight when I am not using it. If I lock the screen on the surface pro 3, and even at 50% battery life, it will just drain overnight. This seems really odd, and I am not sure why it is doing this.

littlegreenbob

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any apps running in the background that may be using a broadcast receiver or other listening services? Take it to where you got it from and see if it is a battery problem. If it isn't, try systematically uninstalling apps or even do a reset and start over

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that too. But I'm in the habit of keeping it plugged when not in use now.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too. But I'm in the habit of keeping it plugged when not in use now.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

That is good to know then. So then it seems like a problem with the surface itself. What I do is shut it off at night, and it seems to fix the problem. It is a workaround but it tends to do the job.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
OK...here is my experience of today. It is now 11:08PM at my location and I just turned on my SP3. The battery meter reads 92%. I took the SP3 off the mains at exactly 11:00AM today at which time the battery meter was at 100%. I carried it around in its sleeve all day. I expected that I would work on it, but I did not. So the SP3 remained in the sleeve and it was in Sleep mode between the hours mentioned above. The SP3 was not in airplane mode and all radios (WIFI and BT) were on. There were no apps running in the background though. When I say no apps in the background, I mean none of the apps that I was using before 11:00 AM were running because before I took it off the mains, I closed them all down (pulling the apps to the bottom of the screen and waiting for the tile to flip over).

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You might be having an issue with Windows Update getting stuck checking for updates. It's really good at running only when you're not using the computer, but if it's having issues, it will use up CPU, RAM, and Disk resources like there is no tomorrow. Because of that, it will kill your battery faster than you can spit.

The first thing to try is the Microsoft Update trouble shooter (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262). As soon as it is finished, select close, and go to the control panel, windows update, and check for updates.

If that doesn't work, try from an elevated command prompt (i.e. Command Prompt (Admin)):
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Then if that still doesn't work, try it again while booted in Safe Mode with Networking.

And if that doesn't work, backup your data (twice) and reset back to factory. But make sure you have your battery fully charged, and have the power adapter plugged in. After the reset, make sure you have all your windows store apps re-installed and run at least once, reboot. Then start the windows update processes and finish every update possible (keep going back and check for updates, You might get a firmware update or two, again). After all the updates are installed, reboot one more time, then re-install your desktop programs (Office, Quicken, PhotoShop, etc.).

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I did a little test last night.

At precisely 00:35, I shutdown (not sleep!) my Surface Pro 3, with 53% charge remaining. When I checked this morning at 09:30 (so about 9 hours later) battery was down to 49%.

Does 4% discharge over 9 hours in shutdown state seem reasonable for a 1 week old SP3?

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So I did a little test last night.

At precisely 00:35, I shutdown (not sleep!) my Surface Pro 3, with 53% charge remaining. When I checked this morning at 09:30 (so about 9 hours later) battery was down to 49%.

Does 4% discharge over 9 hours in shutdown state seem reasonable for a 1 week old SP3?

I suspect so. I'd say the battery meter has +/- 5% accuracy.

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue but it seems to have stopped after the first few updates over the summer. It now properly goes into the deep sleep which preserves battery life tremendously and doesn't cause the overnight battery drain (at least for me).

That said, still not a fan of deep sleep since it's a 5-10 second process to fully wake up. Doesn't sound like a lot but it is somewhat annoying given all the other devices out there (like phones, other computers, tablets, etc.) that always have instant wake-up.

For instance, my Macbook Air doesn't need a deep sleep, loses 0% overnight and wakes up instantly. If Apple can do it (and has been for years), still not sure why Microsoft can't do the same thing with the SP3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss