I dropped my Surface Pro 3 and cracked the display. :(

alimaslam

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my surface pro 3 and cracked the corner of the display. :unhappy: Will be taking it to the MS Store in October.

What will they do..? Will they change/service the cracked screen or replace it.?

Please share your experience with MS Store support. Thx

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have Microsoft Complete Plan. Brought it for 149$ at the time of purchase.

So, If I give 50$ more, they will give me a New Surface in exchange...?

I think Complete needs to be done via customer service and not through a MS store.. I could be wrong though.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Complete needs to be done via customer service and not through a MS store.. I could be wrong though.
Nope. You can go to a MS store and have them take care of it for you. I grilled the rep about it when I bought my SP3 and added the complete care package. "Anything goes wrong, just bring it in. For cracked screens, you get 2 replacements at $50 each." The cracked screen policy is well worth the price of the complete care, as tablets are more susceptible to cracked screens than laptops.

The only "gotcha" is if they replace the device, and you want them to transfer the data from the old to the new, it's extra. So, backup your stuff before go!!!!!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking for a backup solution and you have a second computer or a network drive, look into Windows File History. It is simply amazing!
As it will detect your network drive (or shared folder/drive from a computer), or external storage which you connect via USB, Windows will execute a backup of your personal files. It can do a backup once a day, down to every 10min. The way it works, is that it stores only the bits that has changed form the original file, so that you can you go back in time on them, but also keep the last version as a copy of the file, so that you can access the file for recovery purposes on any systems. If you re-install Windows, or change device (say a new Surface Pro 3, as the old one broke), all you have to do is turn back on File History, and Windows will detect everything and resume the baclup process form where it left off. You can also recover all your files from the backup drive, to get your stuff back. You just browse to the location get your files and transfer them back to your system, as the last version is stored there.

And of course, you have OneDrive, but you can't go back in time on all files, only on office documents, via the web, but it syncs with all your system.

For a limited time, in the case you didn't hear the news, if you have not yet use the Camera Roll feature, Microsoft gives you 15GB more to your current 15GB of free storage, for a total of 30GB. If you are using the camera roll feature, then you are automatically upgraded.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
For a limited time, in the case you didn't hear the news, if you have not yet use the Camera Roll feature, Microsoft gives you 15GB more to your current 15GB of free storage, for a total of 30GB. If you are using the camera roll feature, then you are automatically upgraded.
Off Topic: I still haven't gotten that to work (the extra 15GB). But I already have 1,174.5 GB of OneDrive space. An extra 15 GB isn't much extra.

blast_v0rt3x

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I was on the patio and had my 8 day old SP3 core i7 512GB sitting on a side table.
Sadly I was fiddling with a bluetooth speaker that I had plugged into the USB slot for charging.
One very small tug on said wire and WHAM . . . SP3 falls all of 16 inches onto the cement patio.
One chunk of metal missing on the corner and a completely shattered screen.
I had MS Complete (thank god) and was in and out of the MSFT store with a brand new device in about 5 minutes.
They did not charge me anything, and in fact, gave me the whole box (meaning now I have another charger and pen)
This is the first device I have EVER broken.
I was sick about it.
I was pretty surprised that a fall from 16 inches did so much damage.
My advice is to get the MSFT Complete care and BE CAREFUL, these suckers are fragile as hell.

I will NOT be having this issue again.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's a drag. Yes, very fragile. Especially be careful around the speaker and microphone cutouts in the glass. These are "weak spots" and if pressure is applied can shatter.

Ian Mace

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, I just cracked my Surface pro 3 in front of a client. The surface was sitting on my office desk to my right, switched on, with the side stand open at a normal viewing angle. I reached out placed my left hand thumb at the top left hand corner of the surface with my four fingers behind, while grabbing the keyboard with my right hand at the bottom right hand corner of the keyboard...
Get this, as I picked this up we heard a click and as I looked closely the top left hand corner beneath my thumb print was pushed in...Unbelievable!!!
The surface has been lovingly owned and well looked after and I don?t have the heavy hands of a giant?Why would my thumb break the screen? Unless there is a weak point there!
Taken it straight to the place it was purchased only 4 months ago?
Watch this space!!!

Ian

will304

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I know what You mean I droped mine 10cm On to carpet the whole screen cracked and they will only replace the whole computer not just the screen.Never buying one again.
Ps they only replace it once if you do it again you have to buy a whole new computer

Ann J

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I must agree that the Surface Pro 3 is entirely too fragile for the price. I have owned touchscreen devices for close to 15 years and have never cracked a screen. I would consider myself to be an expert at gadgets...and this one was one of my favorites. The screen was cracked not by my hand or a fall but by the type cover. I absolutely, positively do not recommend transporting this device with the type cover on because the area between the keys and the magnet has a hump with an edge that is a crack asking to happen. I was unfortunate enough to purchase mine from Best Buy where they only offer the Geek Squad protection for double...and I had no idea that there was any Microsoft plan. Microsoft should be standing behind these their name and replacing these faulty devices at no charge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss