Windows 10 Preview on SP3

anders.ostling

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So onenote Does work but not the pen button? How about the rest of Office 2013? That is *my* dealbreaker. Otherwise all comments looks very promising.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I haven't installed this yet, but am thinking about it!
Couple of questions - did you guys just install over the top of win8.1 and keep all installed programs? or did you need to reinstall everything?
If I set it to start via the metro start screen (I quite like this screen!), when I open an app, will it then switch to the desktop and open the app in an app window?
Can you make the apps go 'full screen' and lose the header bar and the task bar in desktop mode?

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You can just install it on top of 8.1 and lose nothing. That's what I did.
Dunno on second question as I hate Metro (actually Modern technically) screen.
Metro apps can go full screen sorta by clicking the ... at the top left of the status bar and choosing "full screen". However, they do not cover the task bar at this time.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't have Office 2013 but Office 2007 works fine. Since OneNote 2013 (which I do have) works without issue I'm assuming all of Office 2013 does.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Can you make the apps go 'full screen' and lose the header bar and the task bar in desktop mode?

This seems to actually depend on the app right now, the netflix app goes full fullscreen. For the record i also just installed on top of 8.1 and everything went fine - Adam

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Office 2013 works great in Win 10 although until they update more on the "touch/modern" side I would not load it on a tablet or convertible. Those devices are not the target for this preview.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
If your SP3 isn't your main workhorse i would absolutely install windows10. I can totally live with the minor glitches as its worth it to me to be part of the development process for what will become one of the best (if not the best) windows platform ever. My SP3 is pretty much my toy and ideal for something like this - Adam

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Instaled in a VM but removed it, my usage is primarily touch based so this build didnt really suit me. I'll reinstall when they update with touch improvements.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Touch is fine here. I don't find anything lacking.

Just because I have a tablet doesn't mean I always want everything full screen. This version finally addressed that glaring oversight. After all, it is called Windows for a reason. If all you could do is run a few apps full screen or side by side, that's not very window-like is it?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Can you please elaborate a bit, what "touch components" are not working as expected?

Its unfinished so I don't expect perfection and this is my perspective but I don't use the desktop primarily and don't like modern apps opening there showing the taskbar and not being full screen when launched. Just personal preference, I'm sure later builds will have touch better implemented but just doesn't suit me at this stage.

Agreed. Touch is fine here. I don't find anything lacking.

Just because I have a tablet doesn't mean I always want everything full screen. This version finally addressed that glaring oversight. After all, it is called Windows for a reason. If all you could do is run a few apps full screen or side by side, that's not very window-like is it?

Your preference, mine is different, I quite like the way Windows 8 works. Nothing more than that.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't have Office 2013 but Office 2007 works fine. Since OneNote 2013 (which I do have) works without issue I'm assuming all of Office 2013 does.

All of office works, the only thing with the pen that doesn't is the launching of one note when you press the purple butto

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
** Also good idea to turn off automatic Windows updates and do that manually for now. Only install things like Defender Updates, etc. Don't install any system updates for now. I did that on my first W10 install and it broke the boot sequence.

I've left windows update as it was when I installed W10 (automatic), its installed 2 system updates since (one just now) and have had no issues at all - Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss