Which Surface?

Clancy Weeks

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
My current desktop setup is a Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM and standard disk drives... nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done. I'm looking to replace the big cat and laptop with a single Surface 3 Pro solution. My question is which one will give me the greatest jump in performance at the lowest price?

In other words, will I be happy with the performance difference between my current desktop and a new SP3 for more than a year? I have a feeling that the jump will be noticeable even with an i5 with 4GB of RAM, but I have no experience with the new SP3's.

Anyone out there made a change from a system such as mine recently? I'm currently running Adobe CS on this beast, and am hoping a SP3 and docking station will be a good solution.

Last edited:

canonuevo

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven't made a change from it recently but the i5 you should notice a difference significantly. You should go into a microsoft store if possible to try one out.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest the i5 256/8gb, due to my job I also have a crazy spec laptop and desktop and am still amazed at how well my SP3 performs! - Adam

Clancy Weeks

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, but want to make sure I am satisfied for at least two years. I would prefer to spend as little as possible, but I think the jump from 4GB to 8GB is also a necessity. I've also got two large monitors and will need some sort of docking station, I think.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an 8/256 SP 2 to be my Toshiba Porteg? replacement, mostly because of its superior portability, though I am fully satisfied with its performance, and there are plenty of videos out there illustrating the SP2's ability to run CS and even more demanding software well.

But, I still like/need my i7 Fujitsu Q910-based PC and 27" HD monitor for various even-not-so-heavy-duty tasks and functions. I'm evaluating and deciding this week whether to trade up to an SP 3, btw; but as of today, I'm inclined to save and keep the SP2.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You've got to remember that the i7 in the SP3 is not like an i7 in your desktop. It is only 2 cores. You really won't see much improvement over the i5 in most daily tasks, but you will get more heat .

I had an i7 Yoga 2 Pro with 8 GB of ram before I bought this SP3 i5 with 4 GB ram and to be honest, the i7 felt no faster at all.

Clancy Weeks

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know! I know that I will be able to do all the same work I'm currently doing, I just don't want to have buyer's remorse six months from now because I don't feel enough of an improvement in performance. Of course, I'm pretty sure I will because my current laptop (also core 2 with 4GB of RAM) is now faster than my desktop because I recently upgraded the RAM and installed an SSD. Those two things alone make the laptop about 200% more efficient in terms of time spent in front of a computer. I now only use the desktop for tasks that require the large monitors and a wired Ethernet.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The price you pay extra for the i7 is not at all worth the performance increase. The i5, both quad and dual core configurations, are without a doubt best bang for your buck when it comes to processors!

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. The price you pay extra for the i7 is not at all worth the performance increase. The i5, both quad and dual core configurations, are without a doubt best bang for your buck when it comes to processors!

Yes, unless you are doing memory intensive tasks such as video decoding, large Photoshop files, etc, you will rarely have demands for 8 GB ram or an i7. The i5 128 is truly the sweet spot for the SP3 IMHO. I run a free app in the background called "CleanMem" that keeps my ram usage at a minimum and I think it helps.

Clancy Weeks

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Actually, Photoshop, InDesign, occasional video encoding, and music production are the most common uses of the desktop. Like I said, I get it done with a dual core and 4GB, albeit slowly, so I think even the i5 128 could give me some performance improvements. i5 256 would be even better... just not sure the extra $300 is worth it. Sadly, budget is an issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett