Storage questions

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So I'm a civil engineering student and next semester I had planned on buying this sweet sexy tablet. I was planning on getting the i3 version because that's more than enough power for my needs and apparently this version doesn't get as hot as the i5/i7 versions from what I've read. But will 64Gb of data suffice? I plan on having AutoCAD and some few other engineering programs installed on it, I'll probably get a micro SD card for media and use OneDrive for general document storage though. Should I splurge on the 128gb i5 version or will that be too much? Oh and I also play some light gaming, no heavy stuff like Destiny or that, just puzzlers and rpg's. So yeah any suggestions?

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Making a purchase like this - I would always go with the most HD space I could afford - if that means waiting a month to double the storage, heck ya im waiting :) especially if your keeping this awhile, get more SSD upfront. youll regret it later.

also consider portable drives as well, but then you have something else to carry :

you can also save space with OneDrive - 100GB free for a year with Bing rewards :)

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have the i3 version and use it for my business management classes. I will say that I wish I went with the upper model just for the extra storage, because only media can be saved to the micro sd card. Actual programs must be on the SSD. The processor and RAM are fine, however. Basically, get the i3, then install all the programs you want and see if there's still space leftover. If not, get the i5.
Hope that helped.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was in your same boat. I'm an aeronautical engineering student. I went with the i5 128GB version. I'm really glad I did. I have solidworks installed, tons of apps, and quite a bit of music on there too. I think it would all fit (barely) on the 64GB version but it's nice to have the extra space. I'd go with the i5.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I was in your same boat. I'm an aeronautical engineering student. I went with the i5 128GB version. I'm really glad I did. I have solidworks installed, tons of apps, and quite a bit of music on there too. I think it would all fit (barely) on the 64GB version but it's nice to have the extra space. I'd go with the i5.

I was planning on getting it next semester in hopes that prices would go down, but I think that, either way, I'll wait til the i5 one goes down in price. I don't want to have to carry around an external drive or uninstall/reinstall programs to save space. Have you guys experienced any troubles on your Surfaces?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786