Only red keyboard working - SP3

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Here is a weird one. Did some googling/binging found nothing.

Coworker bought a used SP3 online. Works great. Came with a red type keyboard. He didn't really like the red so he bought a black keyboard. That keyboard did not work. The touchpad worked, but not the keys.

We are doing some SP3 testing so we tried 5 other SP3 Type keyboards... all black. None of them worked. Only the red one works.

He did the volume up/Power thing to reset it and go into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS the black keyboard worked... Once he leaves there, it stops working again.

Weird, eh? This does not make sense to me. :)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is a weird one. Did some googling/binging found nothing.

Coworker bought a used SP3 online. Works great. Came with a red type keyboard. He didn't really like the red so he bought a black keyboard. That keyboard did not work. The touchpad worked, but not the keys.

We are doing some SP3 testing so we tried 5 other SP3 Type keyboards... all black. None of them worked. Only the red one works.

He did the volume up/Power thing to reset it and go into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS the black keyboard worked... Once he leaves there, it stops working again.

Weird, eh? This does not make sense to me. :)

It is not too weird. Had the opposite problem with the trackpad not working on a SP2. It was traced back to being driver corruption. After deleting all the drivers at a Microsoft store did not work, the options were to do a clean reset or an exchange (it was within a week of purchase). Since the corruption seemed to originate in the recovery partition, I simply did an exchange. Long and short of it is they can try deleting the drivers in device manager, reboot, and see if it picks it up correctly, or just do a clean reset with the preferred keyboard attached. They may, however, also want to download the recovery partition from Surface support and replace the one on the machine....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb