Microsoft Store Experience: Need help

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I am a long time Mac fan that has been watching in awe as the SP3 v Macbook Air commercials drew me in.

So I paid a visit to the Paramus, NJ Garden State Plaza Microsoft store yesterday. After playing with the i5 128 device for a while I decided to purchase it with the $450 bundle deal which included the keyboard, case, two year warranty and a few lessons.

Being in sales for my entire career, I should have known right form the start the sales girl had no clue how to troubleshoot. Yes, she had the basic talking points and "basic" setup; but, when she ran into issues setting up my device, she asked another clueless associate to help.

For some reason the both of them could not get my MS account to register, She installed a new version of Office 365 which came with the bundle using my MS account but could not register it on my SP3. Her colleague decide to create a "local" account; but used his name. We eventually got the unit registered in my name with my MS account; but, now every time I want to save a file locally to documents, it says users/john/documents. My name is not John.

How can I change the local name to my name? I've tried all settings but have a feeling it is a system reinstall. Help.

I really like the SP3 so far. I can see it easily replacing my Air as I learn how to power use it.

Pete

Last edited:

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I would call Microsoft technical support. You need to make sure your login is the admin account and change the default saving locations and priorities. It is pretty easy to do, but it will be easier if someone walks you through it. I have found MS customer support to be great. It's a shame your local staff was not good. Mine has been great, so far.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
This may not be of much help, but Iwas in the Microsoft store and the employees were AMAZING... not pushy, friendly, knowledgeable... It was a great experience... They are obviously copying the Apple store.. which is a brilliant move....

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
This may not be of much help, but Iwas in the Microsoft store and the employees were AMAZING... not pushy, friendly, knowledgeable... It was a great experience... They are obviously copying the Apple store.. which is a brilliant move....

It was very much an "Apple-like" experience except for the errors made by the staff. Ultimately I'd give them a 4/5 since everything else was great. It bothers me about the wrong user name. Will try to contact MS support. Details to follow

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, this will take a bit. But it's do-able. I ran into this after doing a factory reset on my SP3.

Go to www.office.com
Login
Verify that Office 365 is associated with your Microsoft account.
Log out of www.office.com
Uninstall Office 365
Delete the local account and all its files.
Reboot.
Go back to www.office.com
Login
Go to "My Account"
Find your computer in the Install information.
Deactivate the install.
Log out of www.office.com
Reboot
Go back to www.office.com (use IE desktop)
Next to the address bar in IE, there might be a little blue circle with a line through it, click it and click on "unblock content" (this is what the sales associate missed in setting up Office 365. I had to work with MS through online chat support to find out)
Select My Account
Select Install

Now you're good to go.

P.S.
The reason for all the reboots? To kill time and give the servers time to sync things up.

hifi810515

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The 'users/john/documents' is directory name. It was built when you created user account.
If you want to change it, so you can try this way.
Firstly,you should recreate user account with right name.
Secondly,you log in with new account and delete old directory name on 'c:\users\'.(new account should have Administrator permissions)
I wish this way can help you.
Good luck.:smile:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Mistake #1 is letting anyone setup your PC for you. Even if you don't know much, odds are you know more than a store clerk. They may work at a Microsoft Store, but they're not exactly the people who built the software. In my experience with MS Stores is that the sales people know basic stuff and the employees who are there for the technical stuff know a bit more but yet they never know as much as myself. I've always had that issue with any store, the geek squad is one of the worst. I wouldn't know about apple store employees, because that's the last place you'll ever find me.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Mistake #1 is letting anyone setup your PC for you. Even if you don't know much, odds are you know more than a store clerk. They may work at a Microsoft Store, but they're not exactly the people who built the software. In my experience with MS Stores is that the sales people know basic stuff and the employees who are there for the technical stuff know a bit more but yet they never know as much as myself. I've always had that issue with any store, the geek squad is one of the worst. I wouldn't know about apple store employees, because that's the last place you'll ever find me.

I think that it is funny even thinking about the store setting my PC. One of my favorite parts of getting a new machine is taking it out of the box and setting it up. I learn about it and enjoy the process....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If its not too much of an inconvenience you can book an appointment with the MS store for some troubleshooting and training. Kind of strange they couldn't set it up correctly, my stores nearby both have really good tech guys who would set it up if required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)