Why is my Surface Pro 3 overheating?

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 overheating

I bought a SP3 about a week ago and love it.. But tonight it started to get real hot.. I was just surfing and reading emails... The only thing I did differently was I download Norton 360 Protection Suite...Could that be the problem?

Has anyone else had an overheating issue?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 overheating

Overheating in my book would mean shutting down because the machine realized it was too hot or if it got so hot it ruined the hardware. I have had my surface become very hot to the touch several times when playing games. Since it was being pushed to do a bigger work load. Also my fan sometime kicks in when my Anti-virus software does a scan. So it is very possible for you Surface to become hot to the touch. I haven't heard of any i5 or i3 models shutting down from getting too hot. I have only heard of i7 models doing so. What model do you have? I have i5/256GB with 8GB RAM.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Overheating in my book would mean shutting down because the machine realized it was too hot or if it got so hot it ruined the hardware. I have had my surface become very hot to the touch several times when playing games. Since it was being pushed to do a bigger work load. Also my fan sometime kicks in when my Anti-virus software does a scan. So it is very possible for you Surface to become hot to the touch. I haven't heard of any i5 or i3 models shutting down from getting too hot. I have only heard of i7 models doing so. What model do you have? I have i5/256GB with 8GB RAM.

I have the I5 and YES I was running an Anti-Virus scan at the time.... It was the only time it got hot and it was the first time it got hot... That was probably it!!

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Scans turn on the fan for most equipped mobile devices. This isn't limited to the Surface. At least you don't have to do a full scan every day unless you have to cater to any tech OCD (of which I do suffer :confused:).

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I have the I5 and YES I was running an Anti-Virus scan at the time.... It was the only time it got hot and it was the first time it got hot... That was probably it!!

Marketing claims aside, Norton has never been at the forefront of efficient resource utilization so it is a pretty good bet you identified the source of the problem....

murix

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The only good av is a free av and even that doesn't work well. I'd seriously just stick to the included MS security.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs