DecalGirl skin versus Skinit skin

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, now that I have a Surface RT, Surface 2, and Surface Pro 2, I can talk about DecalGirl and Skinit skins as I bought one for each device.

On the Surface RT was my first skin from Skinit. The fit is fantastic. It goes right up to the edge like it's supposed to and very important because of the kickstand. It's a glossy finish (though not too glossy). However, color reproduction was not that great. It was okay but not true to the original submitted image.

On my Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, I bought skins from DecalGirl. Color reproduction with DecalGirl is much better than Skinit. DecalGirl also has matte and glossy options. For the S2 and SP2, I opted for the matte. For the DecalGirl skins, the fit is not nearly as good as with Skinit. It wouldn't have been as noticeable if it was a solo piece (for something like an iPad), but because of the hinge area, gaps are noticeable. Also, the skins are thinner for DecalGirl. I'm not sure this was because of glossy (Skinit) versus matte (DecalGirl). So the DecalGirl skin is more prone to stretching. So be more careful applying the DecalGirl skin.

If I had to pick one versus the other, I'd go with DecalGirl because of the matte finish and the better color reproduction. However, I like how Skinit fits better edge-to-edge and is a thicker material. DecalGirl is also cheaper.

I think skins are definitely worth it to protect the body of your Surface. I'm not sure how durable the Surface 2 is as I just got it. It's got that gray body and a textured feel to it, both of which may aid in hiding scratches. I know the Surface RT and Surface Pro 2 are charcoal black and both of mine have gotten scratched up noticeably while in my bags (yes, I use my Surfaces a lot).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12