Simple "Modern App" Games (i5 and i7)

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
EDIT: I don't know how to edit the poll, the question was cut off, my intent was to ask "Does your SP3 get "Hot" and your fan kicks in to "high" when running "modern app" 2d games?" Really, I'm talking about something like an Age of Empires or Cloud Raiders....but not like an Asphalt or Modern Combat. I'm also noticing the behavior within 1 minute of run time.
----------------------------------------

I finally caved and purchased an i7 (256gb). I'm really enjoying the form factor, and it seems to absolutely fly. The device got really hot and the fans were at full during windows updates, but I read enough online before hand that this was typical.

It seems to remain cool and quite during normal web browsing and basic activities (it was even fine in a brief test in Netflix). What's strange to me is that the fan cranks up to full and the tablet gets hot in about 30secs-1min of running "Age of Empires: Castle Siege" which seems like a pretty basic 2d mobile game to me (My Lumia 830 with a snapdragon 400 and a Toshiba Encore 8" tablet has no issues with it). I guess I'm just confused why this is...I fully expected the fan noise and heat if I tried a more cpu/graphics intensive game. I was not expecting it with these lightweight mobile games...

Does anyone else have the same experience?

In opening up task manager, I notice that the CPU is running at only about 10-30% utilization, but at 2.3ghz. This seems weird to me that it clocks that high so unnecessarily...I've tried some other modern app games, and get the same result.

I will be trying out Lightroom shortly, I'm expecting some stress on the system during import and rendering previews, but I expect it will perform nicely overall. So while the games are not the primary use for the device, it's annoying enough, that I'm considering either a drop to the i5/256gb, or a full return and going with a separate laptop and small 8" form factor tablet instead.

Last edited:

Saibot 2011

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, when I bought my SP3 i7 I did not expect it to fully crack up the fan when playing modern app-games...
It also gets very loud when playing flash games...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos