[SP3] Becoming dissatisfied with this product

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I got my surface pro 3, the day it was released, I've faced numerous issues. Pen issues, Wifi, type cover problems. And now, more recently, the screen. Of course, updates have fixed most of my problems, but there is just one thing that you can't easily fix, hardware issues. My surface came slightly warped, so the device actually caves inward slightly at the top. Now, the edges of the screen glow a faint green, and the left portion of my display is hindered with an annoying band of discolored pixels, colored a light orange on what is supposed to be a white.

I don't know what is happening, but my surface is slowly degrading in quality, and now I am actually starting to regret that I even bought this $1300 tablet.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if there's a hardware issue, then get it sorted out through warranty; that's what it's there for. With any luck, a replacement device might have slightly updated chips that could resolve other issues.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
My surface came slightly warped, so the device actually caves inward slightly at the top. Now, the edges of the screen glow a faint green, and the left portion of my display is hindered with an annoying band of discolored pixels, colored a light orange on what is supposed to be a white.

When you say the Surface "came slightly warped" do you mean it was like that when you bought it or it has warped *since* then? The warping will be the cause of the screen discolouration that you are seeing.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
When you say the Surface "came slightly warped" do you mean it was like that when you bought it or it has warped *since* then? The warping will be the cause of the screen discolouration that you are seeing.

I didn't notice it at first, but my surface did indeed come out of the box warped. I first noticed it when I saw the glass at the top of the device (near the front camera) wasn't flush with the magnesium chassis like the remaining three sides of the device were. I do occasionally carry it around, but I doubt that this warping could be a result of my own usage, I never put it under any physical strain that might cause bending.

I am certainly interested in sending it in, but I am not very clear of how the whole process works.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Get a replacement, i used the warranty service thing on their website, they pay for postage and all you need to do is wrap it up well (not in its original box and without the pen/powerbrick), didn't have to speak to anyone and had a brand new surface infront of me within a week of sending my original SP3 back. Overall i found the process extremely simple and second to none - Adam

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm just a bit concerned whether it will pass the inspection stage once it gets to Microsoft. The screen is being affected by this curving at the top of the device, but the curve is only slightly noticeable, it becomes more noticeable when you place a straight edge across the top or vertically across the back side. I just don't know what happens if your device is sent in and doesn't pass. I guess I'm worrying too much.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
The device i sent back worked flawlessly, the screen was also flawless but the glass on the screen bulged out at the top about 1mm causing the front cam to be off centre from the cutout hole in the black bezel as seen here... IMG_4182.jpg

As above they replaced it without question. I think if it doesn't pass for a free repair you have to reinburse them the delivery charge and get your unit back or pay both the delivery charge and repair fee and get a new unit back - Adam

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The device i sent back worked flawlessly, the screen was also flawless but the glass on the screen bulged out at the top about 1mm causing the front cam to be off centre from the cutout hole in the black bezel as seen here... View attachment 90625

As above they replaced it without question. I think if it doesn't pass for a free repair you have to reinburse them the delivery charge and get your unit back or pay both the delivery charge and repair fee and get a new unit back - Adam

Mine looks exactly like that, but I've also noticed this:
Capture.jpg
WP_20141210_002.jpg

Last edited:

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My only question is why you didn't replace it when you realized upon opening the box that the thing was messed up. Maybe the shiny-new-toy high got you to overlook it, but now Microsoft might have cause to say that you did it since you've been living with it for so long.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

That looks a bit worse than mine did, you have the exact same problem as mine did and im guessing its something to do with the glue. Providing you have not got any obvious drop damage on the corners they will replace it no doubt!. Mine also had a slight bow on the back much less than yours but i didnt even mention that as i felt it didnt really warrant a replacement.

To convince you even more, they even replaced mine and I had bought mine in the USA, taken it back home to the UK and sent in the service request over a month after i had bought the product. I also didn't notice until some time down the road into owning the device - Adam

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My only question is why you didn't replace it when you realized upon opening the box that the thing was messed up. Maybe the shiny-new-toy high got you to overlook it, but now Microsoft might have cause to say that you did it since you've been living with it for so long.

Well, its something that I didn't notice first off, I was too excited to turn the thing on than to inspect its physical condition. I am sending mine in with hope of a replacement device. I do wish that I had noticed it earlier and sent it in. There isn't really any damage to corners or anything that could suggest that I caused this. I dont think this could've been a result of carrying it in a bag, the bottom of the device is perfectly straight, the top is totally the opposite.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Becoming a bit concerned since my surface has a tiny scratch on the back of it as well, and I might just get the same damn device back.

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I think they all come warped because I've had two SP3s (one original, and one replaced) and they both were warped at the top.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it seems that the plastic part on the top of SP3 is not flat. It's a bit curved.

In surfaceforums, many people had this, and it might be by design. not defect.

However, anything other than that is not normal and you should ask for replacement. Especially if the metal body or the screen is curved.

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are all warped, I've seen some that aren't, I've heard that machining the metal as thin as it is can cause it to buckle (warp or bend).

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I looked at mine after Your post...
Mine screen is a 1mm of the body in one point at the top of the screen also.
Maybe it is because of the heat....the glue wears off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos