12-01-2017 10:11 AM
65 123
tools
    Interesting.
    Perdu Perduan likes this.
    01-31-2015 02:25 PM
    I reported this problem back in November. it's a bug. It started after the Nov firmware update. If you want it fixed, rollback to pre-Nov firmware and wait for the fix.
    JetFixxxer likes this.
    02-04-2015 02:59 AM
    If you want it fixed, rollback to pre-Nov firmware and wait for the fix.
    Can you please tell us how to roll back a firmware update?? I thought that it is imposible
    02-04-2015 10:45 AM
    Well, I can confirm it is a keyboard firmware issue.

I popped up to my MS store last weekend and started experimenting with all their surfaces and their keyboards. Half of them had restart issues with the keyboard folded under.

The ones that did NOT have an issue, I put those keyboards on to my SP3 and it restarted properly without any delay.
    The ones that did have issues, I put those keyboards on my SP3 and those had issues with delayed restarts.

After playing around I looked at the time and realized I was going to be late to another appointment and had to leave. I didn't get a chance to look at firmware revisions in detail, but I did notice those that worked hadn't had the most current updates, or grab a tech and ask for a new keyboard to experiment with.
    Last edited by Guzzler3; 02-04-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    02-04-2015 01:14 PM
    Well, I can confirm it is a keyboard firmware issue.

I popped up to my MS store last weekend and started experimenting with all their surfaces and their keyboards. Half of them had restart issues with the keyboard folded under.

The ones that did NOT have an issue, I put those keyboards on to my SP3 and it restarted properly without any delay.
    The ones that did have issues, I put those keyboards on my SP3 and those had issues with delayed restarts.

After playing around I looked at the time and realized I was going to be late to another appointment and had to leave. I didn't get a chance to look at firmware revisions in detail, but I did notice those that worked hadn't had the most current updates, or grab a tech and ask for a new keyboard to experiment with.
    I refreshed my Surface Pro 3, and reinstalled all of the updates. The issue with the splash screen being frozen seemed to be gone. When I folded my keyboard under, the issue came back. It over 2 minutes for my device to reboot. When I tried it again with the keyboard out, it booted up within 10-15 seconds.
    02-04-2015 11:08 PM
    I had fun at the second MS store in my area today. Went in to see if they would be willing to spend time to bounce any different ideas on this issue. First they were disbelieving of the issue, till of course I pulled out my SP3 and showed them. Had 3 employees standing around watching my demo, they all were "Wow!!" They scheduled me to be the next available time for a tech (15 minutes).

The tech came out and at first was, "Ok.. show me this weird issue with the keyboard that you have." With a complete disbelief on his face, till I showed him. Then it got serious. We spent over an hour experimenting with various things. Swapping keyboards, SP3 and SP2's. Trying all the locations in the O/S to restart (start screen, charm bar, command prompt). Verify updates were clean, went through the system logs, etc.

We did find another weird quirk though. If you keep the keyboard in the passive position (folded back) at all times, you can restart repeatedly without issues. But, once you flip it into active, then back to passive, and restart, you get the dreaded delay.

He's going to keep digging with his contacts in the company, and took my existing MS case number to add that it has been a verified issue.

He was bummed that we couldn't figure it out and remarked at the end "I hadn't seen, nor heard about this before. But now that you've shown me, I have a feeling I'll be seeing this issue more."

So, I would recommend anyone with this issue, please contact Microsoft so they might be able to keep track and tally up the number of people having this issue. And maybe light a fire under them to find a solution.
    cdf3 and florabel01 like this.
    02-05-2015 11:32 PM
    Yes, I have the same problem. The bug surfaced itself from the Nov firmware update and I reported this to Microsoft last year but no fixes yet.
    02-10-2015 05:21 PM
    The Directory he most likely cleared out is the Windows Update directory. %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\downloads.
    04-29-2015 10:35 AM
    Like I said, it's been confirmed as a firmware bug, and MS is being slow to fix it.

So... if you have encountered this issue, PLEASE contact MS support and report it. If enough people report it, maybe it will get fixed sooner.
    04-29-2015 10:54 AM
    I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Sorry I have less than 10 posts to be able to post an actual link....
    09-20-2015 01:05 AM
    Woo Hoo!!!!

The 9/28/2015 firmware update FINALLY fixes the issue!!!
    09-30-2015 11:37 AM
    I've found this works for me: Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 4:

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.

Source: microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10

Thanks!!! This did it! Works again :)
    mattcald likes this.
    10-13-2015 04:54 AM

Step 4:

This didn't work for me. I'm still stuck at the "Surface" screen. I will leave it on the charger a bit more and see what happens.
    10-18-2015 10:47 AM
    Have you installed the latest firmware, “System Firmware Update – 9/29/2015”? This took care of the delayed boot up for me, and others.
    10-18-2015 12:38 PM
    I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.
    Many thanks. Worked for me.
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-03-2015 10:18 AM
    Thanks for posting this series of button presses, it was the only method that got me back up and running!!
    My issue began with the keyboard not responding regardless of what position it was in. I updated to Win10 about a month ago. I can only assume the November Win10 update was automatically applied via Windows Update - this is the core of the issue I believe.
    Then the boot logo issue occurred.
    I should mention that following this series of button pushes the spinning circle appeared, and immediately the windows update pink splash dos screen said 100% completing updates, then applied another update before booting into Windows.
    Everything seems to be working now including the keyboard.

thank you
    11-20-2015 03:14 PM
    This worked for me. Surface Pro 3 Dec 22, 2015
    12-22-2015 03:01 PM
    I want to buy you a beer. Thank you.
    12-22-2015 04:29 PM

Step 4:

This is the post that saved the day. Specifically, step 2.
    12-31-2015 10:31 AM
    I have just had this happen a third time on a SP3, the first time I was able to use a bootable USB media to get in and repair the files.
    The last twice the machines would not boot onto any USB recovery media. No diagnostic information at BIOS level, very poor.
    Microsoft's solution is just to ship another to me, what a waste of time. They don't even bother questioning you on the helpdesk, ship another out. Make sure your backup is up to date.
    I have been using Win 8.1 Enterprise, I shall convert to 10 now our corporate standards have caught up with the outside world.
    wp_20160111_09_41_53_pro.jpg
    01-11-2016 04:48 AM
    OMG this full shutdown method actually worked!!! Thank you so much you are the best!
    01-13-2016 02:55 AM
    In case anyone else has run into this problem I was able to resolve by holding down power and vol up buttons. That then took me into the bios where I disabled secure boot. After doing that it asked for my bitlocker recovery key which I supplied at which point it then booted up. After that I went back into the bios and re-enabled secure boot and was able to boot back in with no issues. Hope this helps someone else.
    01-19-2016 09:56 AM
    Thanks. Ran into the same problem on my surface 3 pro. Your procedure worked for me as well.
    02-20-2016 10:59 AM
    I had the same problem where the screen was locked at the Surface Logo with no spinning wheel. I let it sit there for 3+ hours and it never changed. I tried the key series that were supplied later in this thread, but either I did them wrong or they simply did not work. Being the experimenting type, I then tried this. When the system was locked at the surface screen, I held the power and -Volume keys at the same time (about 30 seconds.) The screen flickered and started booting and has worked ever since.

I've not had the problem again, so I can't verify this solution, but I'll post again if it happens again.

-Ray
    02-22-2016 11:03 AM
    Note that a lot of the issues with windows devices booting up have a lot to do with UEFI secure boot failing to initialize properly. If you turn secure boot off, you'll notice that it will boot past the Surface logo just fine, the only problem is that you won't have low-level protection against rootkits as it will rely on legacy (BIOS) to load the operating system. To disable UEFI, hold the power button and volume + for 10 seconds from a powered down state, an option will be present to disable secure boot. Once you attempt to restart the Surface screen will be Red, indicating that UEFI has been disabled and it should initialize. I'm not sure Microsoft even knows how to rectify the current secure boot issues so I'm not surprised they weren't any help. EDIT: That last part isn't an insult to Microsoft Technicians (I am one, so of course I wouldn't insult them.) just stating that UEFI is rather new and imperfect.
    Last edited by Druidlogic; 02-24-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    02-24-2016 12:28 PM
65 123