Rebooted, then stuck at SURFACE logo

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Arrrgghhh.

Bad timing. I rebooted my SP3 then it was stuck at the SURFACE logo. No racetrack dots, nothing. I could button combo press to get into the firmware (wow, never been in it before and it really has limited options compared to other computers I've worked on in the past), but just couldn't get it to boot up.

Fortunately I had done a data backup a couple of days before and still had my recovery USB. The recovery USB would only work if I repartitioned the hard drive. Even a command prompt to try out the diskpart util didn't help. Repartitioning the drive and recovery did work (using my SP3 right now).

I hadn't been to any questionable web site, hadn't installed any questionable software, nothing. Now I'm wondering if I should take it back to the MS store and have them check it out (after my finals this week).

Anyone else run into this?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Follow up:

I took my SP3 to the MS Store last night. I was able to recreate the problem in front of a tech. They replaced the SP3. I got home did all the updates, and now the new SP3 is doing the same thing.

PLEASE, has anyone else run into this? Go to the start screen, press the power button next to your account, select "restart" and see if the SP3 restarts cleaning, consistently.

I have made another appointment to go back and try to figure out the issue tonight.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
can't say I am having the same problem as you, but weird that its happening to your second sp3.

All I can think off, if you connecting any devices, is perhaps you have a fault usb/keyboard connected to it and/or conflicting drivers?

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine, just pressed the power button for 30 seconds and released it to press it again one time without holding it. After that, my sp3 started normally..

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine, just pressed the power button for 30 seconds and released it to press it again one time without holding it. After that, my sp3 started normally..

I'll be horrified if MS Store didn't know that trick! Will have to remember that one in case it happens to me.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh, we know about the long press. That's the only way I get it to reboot after selecting "restart". Or just do a shutdown, then press the power button.

I'll work with the MS tech at the store, I have a feeling that I might have to start over as a "new PC" when prompted after setting my MS account just to make sure there isn't something in my profile that is messing things up (I doubt it, but who knows).

The one thing I did notice on the updates, was that there was a WD Disk firmware this time, along with the normal firmware.

I just find it odd that happening on the second SP3, and was wondering if anyone else has run into this.

P.S.
They also gave me a new keyboard. Mainly because my pen loop was on my the SP3 itself, and they didn't have extras pen loops and the only way to get one was with a new keyboard. Their loss, my gain.

P.P.S.
It's also intermittent, meaning it doesn't happen on every restart/reboot.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Arrrgghhh.

Bad timing. I rebooted my SP3 then it was stuck at the SURFACE logo. No racetrack dots, nothing. I could button combo press to get into the firmware (wow, never been in it before and it really has limited options compared to other computers I've worked on in the past), but just couldn't get it to boot up.

Fortunately I had done a data backup a couple of days before and still had my recovery USB. The recovery USB would only work if I repartitioned the hard drive. Even a command prompt to try out the diskpart util didn't help. Repartitioning the drive and recovery did work (using my SP3 right now).

I hadn't been to any questionable web site, hadn't installed any questionable software, nothing. Now I'm wondering if I should take it back to the MS store and have them check it out (after my finals this week).

Anyone else run into this?

Which SP3 model; how long did you leave it on the Surface logo; and was the type cover attached? There first one sounds like a drive or motherboard failure given the hoops you needed to jump to get it to reinstall. Beyond that though there has also been a problem on some machines since the last firmware upgrade where if you reboot with the cover folded back (or in any position other than keyboard style) it will appear to freeze on the Surface logo but will eventually restart after several minutes. It can take anywhere from 90 seconds to five minutes in my experience (possibly longer) - had the problem on two SP3 that were replaced for other reasons and the current one as well. If the problem happens with the type cover attached, disconnect it and then try a reboot without it to see if it starts normally. If it does, check device manager to see if there are any driver error issues. Assuming there are not, there is probably nothing physically wrong with the device but it will remain a problem until Microsoft acknowledges there is a problem with the 11/18 firmware updates.

BTW, if that is the problem the type cover is not faulty. You can hook any number of them and it was still happen. It is something that is related to a firmware or driver upgrade. Keep in mind as well that if the type cover issue is the culprit, if it is attached at any point during the boot cycle in anything other than keyboard position, simply disconnecting it or flipping forward will not expedite the boot. Once the slow boot starts it will languish for however long it takes to finish the start up cycle.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I got back from the MS store. Their lead tech fixed it. Apparently there were several firmware updates that didn't take (Remember that the latest "firmware update" actually has several individual firmware patches in it). I tried to watch the commands that he executed to reset the windows update, it wasn't the normal DISM commands that I knew. He went directory deleting, invoked windows update from the command line with extra switches, removed a couple devices from device manager, reinstalled them, etc..

He went fast. It reminded me of myself 10 years ago fixing Windows servers. The kicker was he cleaned his tracks when he was done, so I couldn't go back in history to see what he did!!! I tried to press him on the commands and such, but he wouldn't give up the information. Most of the stuff I could see (he did well to turn the screen away from me, so it was really difficult to see everything) was normal stuff, but the secret sauce was a particular directory and it's contents he deleted, and the command line switch to kick off windows update.

But in the end, firmware updates were reapplied, and my SP3 is working just fine, for now.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaa crap. It's back.

With the keyboard attached, unattached, folded, unfolded. Changing the boot priorities (Network, USB, SSD to SSD only). I've done several refreshes, resets (hidden partition, USB), with the included image, and the latest downloadable from MS. Tried setting it up as a new PC, restore the settings from OneDrive, etc. I've done it with power connected, and on battery. When it happens it will just sit there till I do a long press on the power button to power down, then power button again to start.

It's frustrating and unnerving when it happens, especially when updates initiate the reboot, and the SP3 just sits at the Surface logo.

It would be nice to be able to disable the splash screen and see the boot diag's like the old days. Just to see if there was anything causing the issue. I have tomorrow off, and will initiate a call to MS tech support to see if they have suggestions.

Perdu Perduan

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have already called MS here in France and they told me that they know about this FIRMWARE issue and they will provide some patches for that. But they have no idea when it will be available.
Anayway, I am waiting the answer that you will have.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to call today. My "to do" took longer than expected, and I still haven' finished some of the items.

Hopefully tomorrow. But, if MS France knows about it, then I'm sure I'll get the same answer.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope, different answer. They were unaware of this issue. I am doing a write-up to send to MS so they can investigate it further.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Started happening to me after one of the older W10 previews, happens just about every time whether from W8 or W10 (dual booting), so that's what i blame it on. Possibly having BitLocker disabled has something to do with it.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
We've (the internet) has narrowed it down to the touch keyboard. If you have it folded back, the SP3 will hang on restart, or just take time. Removing or keeping the keyboard extended out, the system restarts quickly, normally.

AND, I found that it happens after you reset your SP3. Straight from the factory it doesn't exhibit this issue.

I'm letting MS look into this, as I've spent way to much time and effort to try to find the root cause.

Perdu Perduan

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
WTF!! Just contacted the MS here in France to know when we will have the update to solve this problem, and they told me that they know NO THING ABOUT THIS ISSUE. It really depends on the assistance that we have when calling them!!!!!!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I had this happen to me the other day. Freaked me out. What ended up working for me was a two button shutdown. Turn it on - when you get stuck with just the Surface logo, press and hold the Volume Up + the Power button for at least 15 seconds. My screen shut off almost instantly - however, it vibrated about 10 seconds later. Then wait 30 seconds and press the Power button to start it back up.

SpiDe1500

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You just have to wait 2-3 Minutes..it doesnt stuck, just needs some time to install updates. Be more patient! Had the same...DO NOT reset withthe power button!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12