Any way to switch users without having to put in password?

smalba

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
So I was able to get rid of having to input the password when unlocking the device but me and my wife both use the surface pro 3 and when I hand it off to her and she switches to her profile it will ask for her password. And same when I go to switch to my profile later.

Any way to get rid of that so we can switch back and forth without a password?

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried a PIN or picture password? I do not understand the mentality of bypassing simple security features for convenience; that mentality is exactly how people's personal info, accounts, and data get compromised.

If you're using Microsoft accounts to log onto your Surface, I do not think what you want is possible. If you're using local accounts you should be able to just remove the password from both accounts and you should get the functionality you desire.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So I was able to get rid of having to input the password when unlocking the device but me and my wife both use the surface pro 3 and when I hand it off to her and she switches to her profile it will ask for her password. And same when I go to switch to my profile later.

Any way to get rid of that so we can switch back and forth without a password?

Yes, there are ways to remove password protection. Just do a search on "remove login password windows 8.1" for the options. Since I think it is a terrible idea though, I will leave it up to you to get the steps. Breaking an essential security feature on a mobile (and easily stolen) device to save less than five seconds is simply not something I can advocate.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried a PIN or picture password? I do not understand the mentality of bypassing simple security features for convenience; that mentality is exactly how people's personal info, accounts, and data get compromised.

If you're using Microsoft accounts to log onto your Surface, I do not think what you want is possible. If you're using local accounts you should be able to just remove the password from both accounts and you should get the functionality you desire.

A Microsoft account requires a password and cannot be removed.

If you they are local accounts, then you can remove the password. They will not be able to sign in to those email account in the Mail app since it requires a Microsoft account, but they could sign in to them online though.

Personally, it would be a security risk not having and passwords for the user accounts. Anyone could have full access.

Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8 - Page 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon