Is my surface 3 actually sleeping - mark 2

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I posted this in questions and answers hoping for a quick fix.

Is it just me or does everyone's surface stay warm in sleep mode....

I have tried putting it into sleep mode by...
Pressing the off button,
shutting the case
and also going to sleep from the start menu.

If I do this and then put it into its case comes out red hot...

I thought that sleep would be like my laptop.... powered down ... definitely not producing heat...
or like pressing off on an Ipad.

I am not game to put it into its Waterfield case in case it thermally over loads.

Does the Surface 3 need to be completely Powered down before going into the case??????????????

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh I did try shutting all the programs down ..... left it on the front seat of the car and drove home from work after putting it in sleep mode.... was warm to the touch 1 hour later.

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
One more thing.

I have sleep on shutting the cover enabled.

I shut it last night and went to bed..... 8 hours later it is totally dead.....

I think that my surface has Insomnia!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You've got a run away process somewhere.

Hate to say it but the easiest way to fix is to backup your stuff, and do a factory reset. Then do all the updates. But don't check the unchecked ones till last, then do the recommended. After all the O/S updates, do the app updates, then reinstall the extra apps. Then your desktop programs, and finally restore your data.

It is a bit drawn out process, but that is what MS will recommend you do before sending it back in for warranty work. It isn't that hard, just time consuming.

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Well if the surface shuts down in sleep mode and effectively stops the CPU then how come pushing the button on the pen wakes it up again...... seems to me that something is still running for that to occur.....

Or is this only happening with my week old Surface 3 I5???

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello
Sorry to read about your distress.
I too have a brand new sp3 i5. All I have done with it since I got it less than a week ago, is get all the updates and put on onenote desktop. I haven't tweaked any settings. The only thing I did was to make a recovery drive on a usb stick.
Im in the habit of just walking away from the sp3 when im not using it. I don't click on anything to make it go to sleep. The screen goes black. When I want to use it again, I either touch the mouse track pad on the touch cover keyboard or else I press the power button switch. If I press the power button switch it doesn't do a reboot, it just come back to life (so it obviously hasn't shutdown, but has either gone into sleep/standby/whatever its called. At no time, so far, have I come back to the sp3 after leaving it alone for a while, to find that it was warm or hot.
From what I have read of your post, all I can say is that if it were me, I would take it back and ask for either a replacement or an explanation of whats wrong with it to put your mind to rest. I think that as its only a week old, it is completely unreasonable to expect you to be troubleshooting and doing diagnostics.
I found with mine, that when I charge it on the docking station it heats up too much for my peace of mind, so I don't use the mega expensive docking station anymore, and just use the regular charger that came in the box.
I hope that you are able to get this sorted out.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
There are actually now 2 distinct modes of "sleep" for a PC.

Previously, when you told a computer to sleep, it would basically halt everything, and put itself into a very low power saving mode. Nothing could happen in the background, it was almost like turning the PC off.

The Surface Pro 3 is one of the first and few devices that are capable of sleeping the way that a smartphone or tablet would sleep (called InstantGo or Connected Standby). Meaning that the screen would turn off and the device conserves power, but it is still possible for applications and background tasks to operate and perform actions. Things like having your music still play while the screen is off, or the ability for the system's alarm to properly go off. By default, the Surface Pro 3 uses InstantGo as its sleep mode.

As someone else mentioned, you probably have something running in the background that shouldn't be. Check the task manager.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro