SP3 running windows 10

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Anyone rocking with windows 10 on their SP3? Not as a separate partition but full blown going the upgrade route. Any issues with it?

I'm kind of tempted to do this (I have the recovery partition and I'll be running a full backup thanks to Acronis). I have Win10 on its own partition currently but I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to resinstall all my apps and configure everything.

Thoughts/opinions on installing it on the SP3 on the main volume instead of its own distinct partition.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been running it as my daily driver since the first TP. It has some bugs and your battery life will be impacted. There is an inking bug when writing in the desktop version of OneNote where ink disappears after writing. It doesn't always successfully come out of Connected Standby which requires you power off via the Power Button.

Mostly the bugs are annoying. If your system is relatively clean using the Upgrade should be stable (ish). People who reset prior to updating seem to have the best results or do a Clean Install.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I ran Win10TP for a few days my SP3 i5/128 was getting quite a bit hotter than it was on 8.1. I went back to 8.1 until I could find more info about this.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone rocking with windows 10 on their SP3? Not as a separate partition but full blown going the upgrade route. Any issues with it?

I'm kind of tempted to do this (I have the recovery partition and I'll be running a full backup thanks to Acronis). I have Win10 on its own partition currently but I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to resinstall all my apps and configure everything.

Thoughts/opinions on installing it on the SP3 on the main volume instead of its own distinct partition.

I did. Kind of regret it. Pen doesn't work at all. Battery life isn't all that great either. I just got the Pro 3 and had no issues on my Ultrabook so I figured it would be the same and didn't make a backup. Actually considering buying 8.1. My advice from my experience? Don't even do it. However, if I could just get the pen to work I'd be more than content.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I was playing with its own partition and was running into issues with chrome, It had crashed a couple of times. I'm actually cooling to the idea. Battery life, running hotter, some app issues.

I may keep it on its own partition for a while, but I think I'll not touch my 8.1 partition.

Thanks for the info.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did. Kind of regret it. Pen doesn't work at all. Battery life isn't all that great either. I just got the Pro 3 and had no issues on my Ultrabook so I figured it would be the same and didn't make a backup. Actually considering buying 8.1. My advice from my experience? Don't even do it. However, if I could just get the pen to work I'd be more than content.

So oddly enough I was able to revert back, and I didn't even do a backup or anything. I didn't know that was possible...however, the pen still doesn't work, so it's probably an issue with the pen itself.

But I was going to just do a factory reset (reset 10 to see if that helped) and I noticed an option to restore Windows which I tried wondering if it would go back to 8.1. I doubted it, but tried anyway. It worked! I'm happy :)

cgavula

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what everyone else is saying. It works, but it's really rough around the edges. There are lots of graphic anomalies still. A lot of app problems (hulu plus has a lot of issues, for example), and games are a bit hit or miss in terms of working correctly. One Note desktop has issues, the pen doesn't launch One Note like before (it lost the customization). The battery life is poor and the device kicks on without warning sometimes. And it does run hot. The "tablet" features really aren't there yet. Using the SP3 as a desktop replacement isn't bad, but using it as a tablet leaves a lot to be desired yet - that part of the interface really isn't done yet in any useful way.

It will get there in time, but if you're on the fence (or if I had to do it again) I'd probably wait a bit yet. I tried the TP when it first came out an ended up rolling back to 8.1 (which was a pain). When the new preview came out a few weeks ago I rolled to 10TP again, but it still feels like it was too early - not enough is ready for tablets or the Surface in particular yet. I'm debating going through the pain of rolling back again until the build is a little more mature. This is still an early technical preview and there is quite a way to go before the platform is ready to be a daily driver. It will get there, but it's not there yet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium