Surface Pro 3 cracked screen

jsouth117

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a used Surface Pro 3 with a cracked screen (digitizer, the lcd is fine), so I want to know what to expect when I get it.

What are your results with using a Surface Pro 3 with a cracked (digitizer) screen? Has anyone cracked their screen and still have touch working? I was also curious if pen input still works?

Has anyone successfully replaced the screen assembly?

Last edited:

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by cracked screen, if it is so cracked that it no longer produces a display, or the digitizer does not work... I have used several laptops, with cracked screens as servers (headless), with a Surface Pro 3, (docking station or without), you can connect an external Display Port screen, or USB to Screen, and it can run Windows 8.1, and I am sure you can get Windows Server 2012 R2 to install (although I do not own a Surface Pro 3 to know/test that on)...

But as a tablet/laptop having a screen non-functional would kind of make it non-usable... YMMV...

jsouth117

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I meant the digitizer specifically. I know I can connect to an external display. But I want to know if I will still be able to use the pen even with a broken digitizer. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12