What improvements are you expecting in the Surface Pro 4?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My wishlist:

• Higher resolution screen (216 ppi is a little low for a device that can be used as a tablet IMHO)
  • Better trackpad (bigger trackpad surface and hopefully approaching the performance, repeatability and reliability of MacBook trackpads)
  • Better battery life (Intel Broadwell should certainly help here)
  • Two different sizes
  • Thinner and lighter (as always)

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
For me the device itself is pretty much perfect. The resolution is plenty high enough - the DPI could be higher.

Main issues for me are with Win 8.1 bugs. Hopefully some sorted in Win 10.

Lighter and thinner = less room for battery, heat sink?

Oh, should come with keyboard as standard. I would move the headphone socket to the bottom and some sort of area to store pen - but just being picky really.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You know that higher resolution leads to decreased battery life and worse scaling issues right? 216 PPI is honestly enough. It's a great compromise between quality and battery life
As for thickness, I think the device at 9.1mm is just fine. Sure they could lower it but that would cost battery life. I'd rather them focusing on lowering weight a bit more. The device is quite heavy for tablet-in-hand use.
Honestly for the pro 4 I just want longer battery life, further improved type cover, and cooler CPU when under load

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
For me the device itself is pretty much perfect. The resolution is plenty high enough - the DPI could be higher.

Main issues for me are with Win 8.1 bugs. Hopefully some sorted in Win 10.

Lighter and thinner = less room for battery, heat sink?

Oh, should come with keyboard as standard. I would move the headphone socket to the bottom and some sort of area to store pen - but just being picky really.

I agree. Same weight, our even slightly habitat would be fine if it could resolve the heat issues and store the pen in the body.

I would also like a smart cover without a keyboard.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
You know that higher resolution leads to decreased battery life and worse scaling issues right? 216 PPI is honestly enough. It's a great compromise between quality and battery life
As for thickness, I think the device at 9.1mm is just fine. Sure they could lower it but that would cost battery life. I'd rather them focusing on lowering weight a bit more. The device is quite heavy for tablet-in-hand use.
Honestly for the pro 4 I just want longer battery life, further improved type cover, and cooler CPU when under load

Is it heavy??? I feel like its feather light. Feels lighter than my venue 11 pro.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Better screen. At least 14 inches. I really cannot deal with the small screen for app development..

I think that might be more than pushing it for a tablet/hybrid.

Something else is probably better suited for you, the 14" ThinkPad Yoga comes to mind. (I'd probably consider that if it had a stylus option :/)

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, you're right about the LTE. I had the Surface 2, before the pro 3 came out, and I loved having LTE on the go. That was my main complaint when getting the pro 3. I guess I've gotten used to living without it but that would definitely make the device special.

Bolimomo

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
You know there is a difference between what you are "expecting" and what you would like (or wish) to have, right? If these are what you are expecting, you may not buy a Surface Pro (some version number) any time soon. Microsoft does what it does to optimize on their revenue, as it made many management decisions on the design of Surface Pro 3.

There will always be lighter, smaller or bigger, longer battery life kind of requests. For me, the GPS and LTE will come in very handy but I have decided not to wait. I sacrifice the occasionally used feature for something I can have in my hands now. Most likely I won't buy a SP4 just to have an upgrade like some Apple I-phone users. Maybe I will buy a SP6.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
  • fanless design
  • slightly thinner stylus with a reasonable option for transporting it with the Surface Pro
  • better trackpad
  • higher quality device drivers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb