What improvements are you expecting in the Surface Pro 4?

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
IMHO the Surface Pro 3 is close to perfection. There are just a few minor things that would make the SP4 even better than the SP3 IMHO:

-Little bit more durable kickstand. A couple of months after using my SP3 a lot, the kickstand is getting a little bit out of shape. Not a big deal, but if they can improve that a bit with the SP4, then why not.
-Little bit more durable fan. A couple of months after using my SP3 i3/64GB a lot, the fan sounds a bit more noisy like a car engine. The fan doesn't kick in that much so it's not a big deal, but when it's definitely a tad more noisy than it was before. So if they can improve that a bit with the SP4, then why not.
-A second USB 3.0 port. Either by default or as a configurable option. I don't use USB all that much, but when I do, a second port would come in handy. Not too mention the fact that the tech reviewers on YouTube would be happy about that as well which'll generate even more positive buzz for the SP4 ;)

And sure, Type Cover Pro by default would be nice to have as well. Speaking of which, the Type Cover Pro is also nearly perfect for me. What it does need though:

-The felt on the back of the cover is nice, but hard to clean. This has been an issue ever since the first gen. Would be nice if it was easier to clean.
-Better pen holder. I have had to replace it once 'cause it just didn't wanna stick to the cover anymore. It's also a little bit of a hassle to slide the pen back in sometimes and sometimes the pen wobbles on my desk when typing. I don't need a pen holder in the SP4 (if they wanna do so, then fine with me but not per se needed for me), but a better holder (in whatever kind of way) for the cover would be great to have.
-Optionally, it would be nice to have a button or two for increasing/decreasing screen brightness.

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
1) Lowest priced Pro 4 should be i3, 128GB (No more 64GB storage)
2) Shoot for 1.2-LB vs current 1.76LB
3) Make it slightly thinner from current 0.4inches to 0.3inches (might need to use smaller usb vs full usp port)
4) Increase battery life from current 9hrs to 12hrs
5) Make room for pen in the device
6) Change Kick stand design by making it circular base at the center of the device, and let hinge (using currently hinge mechanism) from there with a rotative flap in Portrait and landscape direction. Note: These rotating flaps are housed neatly as current kickstand flap. see rough diagram
SP4_Kickstand_ASoyemi_24Feb15.JPG
7) Sell the Keyboard with it as a bundle. ($80 more versus current separate $130)

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
5) Make room for pen in the device

I've owned my SP3 for maybe 3 hours, and i can see me losing the pen soon. I wish there was a slot or something in the body of the device to slide the pen in, or at least something for the clip on the pen to go into...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've owned my SP3 for maybe 3 hours, and i can see me losing the pen soon. I wish there was a slot or something in the body of the device to slide the pen in, or at least something for the clip on the pen to go into...

Have you attached the pen holder that comes with the keyboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you attached the pen holder that comes with the keyboard?

I didn't get the type Cover yet. I need to wait till next week to get one. So until then I might just not use the pen and keep it with the box, just so I'm sure I won;t lose it... lol...

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Once you get the keyboard it wont be a problem. Also, some Surface cases come with a pen holder, I just picked up an Incipio. Definitely get a case

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea, noticed that it's a VERY big piece of glass... lol.. needs protection...

Maybe case wasn't the best word, think I really meant sleeve. That said, the keyboard covers the glass. The sleeve I picked up actually is big enough for the surface and keyboard cover as well

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe case wasn't the best word, think I really meant sleeve. That said, the keyboard covers the glass. The sleeve I picked up actually is big enough for the surface and keyboard cover as well

Ahh, true. So if I may ask, what do use? I see so much out there, I'd rather get info from a real person than a picture on a web site...

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't feel the need for a sleeve. The keyboard cover provides adequate protection for the glass. And if I drop it and it breaks, that's why I bought the insurance. Keeping it ultra light and convenient is the whole purpose for me.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, true. So if I may ask, what do use? I see so much out there, I'd rather get info from a real person than a picture on a web site...

I picked up an Incipio ORD sleeve from Amazon for ~$30. Has a pen holder similar to the keyboard holder and is big enough for the Surface+keyboard cover to fit in

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I picked up an Incipio ORD sleeve from Amazon for ~$30. Has a pen holder similar to the keyboard holder and is big enough for the Surface+keyboard cover to fit in

I use the Incipio as well
the side pocket can take the charger and lead, but instead of using the pen holder on the bottom of the sleeve (where it is a bit more exposed) I just leave the side pocket unzipped a bit and slide the pen in there

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Funny... I was looking on the Microsoft Store web site today, looking for the Type Cover, and I saw that I could get a free case with purchase of a Surface. So I went to the Store that I got my Surface at today, to get the Type Cover, and told them about the free case. They agreed, of course, so I got a free case. It's the Hex case with the zipper in front, black. Not too bad I guess, but not bad for free. Not sure I'd pay for it if I had to, so I'll use it for now. The front zipper pocket is so tight that I doubt I'd fit the charger in there, maybe just some paper.

And now I need to figure out where to stick the pen holder that comes with the Type Cover, so it doesn't get in the way when putting in/out of the case...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss