SP3 i7/256 Fans...

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So I had a SP3 i5/128, but had the chance to swap out to a i7/256 version, and I'm just using it for the first time, and I notice the fans are running a lot. I have it sitting on my desk with the Metro tile screen loaded, and it's not doing anything but that, and the fans seem to run a LOT. The only programs I have loaded are Office 2013 and Lightroom, both of which are not running.

Is this normal due to the fact that it's an i7? It is normal at all?

EDIT: It is on my desk propped up by the kickstand, with the Type cover attached...

Last edited:

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same version, do not have any issues, and I have Autodesk software, Creative Suite, etc. Sketchup, Rhino, all installed. You have to install all Windows Updates, including all optional updates.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes on a fresh system, after you copy back all your data the search/indexing background process will kick in the fans. It should eventually quiet down.

Or, you have a run-away process that is eating up CPU, Memory, or Disk activity. The task manager, showing the processes will help you determine what program is the culprit.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
yea, especially when you have it plugged in it will run background maintenance which will spin up the fans.

I would assume this...

It's a brand new SP3, and I don't have much installed yet, just Office 2013, Lightroom and Firefox, all of which weren't running. And it does seem quieter not plugged in...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
My 256/i7 rarely kicks in the fans, even when using Autodesk Inventor. Video streaming for me is the most often way to kick in the fans.

But, if you are on power, the system senses that and bumps up the capabilities, performance, which will kick in the fan.

Again, you might have a run away process. Do a refresh (which keeps your files, not a reset which wipes out everything) and see if that helps. You will have to reinstall any desktop programs though.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I would think its the plugged-in part. Being that it's brand new, and all I have installed is Lightroom, Office 2013 and Firefox, I doubt I have any runaway processes yet. No biggie. And I did notice that it is much quieter unplugged.

Thanks for the reply.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Now I am having fan running constantly issues. Only thing to make it stop is ending the task that's taking all the memory. This is new, I never had these issues before, I installed the optional updates, and now this is happening. I have a crap load of software installed, an and don't want to refresh. I guess ill hold out til the windows 10 update and hope that fixes it

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Its typically one of 3 different things:
Rundll32
Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
Print Host (? something like this)

They all take up 25-40% CPU, and the fan goes nuts until I end the task

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a i7/256 and i7/512. Mainly used for Lightroom/Photoshop and Office. The only time the fans really work hard are during updates.

First few days of getting each machine, the fans seemed like they were going all the time, Firmware and lot's of software updates. Since then all quiet. Apart from during updates and only when connected to power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar