Charging SP3 on a 12v system

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to charge the sp3 off the auxiliary on a motorcycle? I have USB outlets wired in, but don't know if that's possible.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
12v should be enough to get the charge going on the SP3. However since I have never known anyone to try this, I can't give you a valid answer. You are literally going where no man has gone before lol

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be on the road for a month or 2 in Central America. And ac power may not be readily available.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Your USB's will be 5V.
Microsoft sell a car charger for Surface. But it's specifically stated it's not for Surface Pro 3. I reckon if you check the specs of that charger against what's required for Surface Pro 3 you'll be able to work out if what it's lacking and find an alternative product.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There is a company Mikegyver (sp?) that makes a DC charger to plug into a 12VDC auto outlet, but it's $115 US. The cheapest option would be to purchase a DC-AC inverter in the 100 to 200 Watt range. The SP3 power supply is 36W. An inverter is added weight and space, especially to carry on a motorcycle, but can be used in the future with any AC device that doesn't require excessive power. I keep one in my ATV bag when out in the woods. Very useful for when someone forgets a DC charger for small electronics but has an AC one. I've seen them installed in a semi-permanent manner inside bike luggage but think loose storage offers more freedom. And always keep extra fuses in case too many devices are plugged in!

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Are you looking to charge while riding or parked? Some of the small inverters that are one-piece design, molded onto the DC male plug, are very compact and lightweight, no larger than a small adult fist, and can handle 36W. If 12V outlet location is a problem adding additional ones is easy. Marine shops sell quality sealed units.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You're right it is cool and is a tad on the expensive side. I was considering it, then realized that I don't spend enough time away from an AC power source enough to justify the cost. I live on an island after all.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Watts = Volts * Amps. The SP3 factory charger is 36W. 12*2.85=34.2W. Most 12V systems operate at 12.5V or above unless the battery is junk, so this charger should be right on par with the factory AC-DC block. Nice find!

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Got mine from Amazon today. Works great. It seems to charge the same as when plugged into AC so far, but I just tested it out for about 10 minutes, and wasn't using it (although it was powered on). The cord is somewhat shorter than expected, but long enough. It measures 44" not including either connector.

It seems solidly built, and I'm quite happy with it so far.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the fact that it works. I'm going to have to think about it. 34 watts is a pretty big draw on a bike's electrical system.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
On your bike, make sure that the female plug is wired to your battery, and has a proper inline fuse. Also, you may not want to charge while the bike is just sitting, but while you're actually riding. I know that sounds weird, but with the engine running at operational RPM, that's when you get the most current.

I've got the same issue on my bike. I learned the hard way, not to charge while taking a rest, with having a depleted battery when I wanted to get back on the road. Trying to push start a fully loaded bike isn't easy.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a minor issue really. I've switched to all led lighting, including the headlights, upgraded the stator and rectifier, and nodded some of the wiring to increase the efficiency. I think I might have issues while running the heated clothing, but other than that, it shouldn't be an issue.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Lot's of 12v charging options are available. From cables to plug into battery packs to power supplies that work from cigarette sockets. Amazon is a good source of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon