Is refurbished worth it?

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay well I was looking around eBay for type covers when I found the listing for the refurbished surface pro 3 i5 at $850 with a type cover. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it, I mean it's direct from Microsoft so it should be in excellent condition and at what, $230 less than new why not, but I'm worried about warranty. Like can I put a refurbished model under complete? If not then is there a similar option? Idk about Square Trade or about any other option. I'm usually really careful with my stuff, but I still have butterfingers so that's my main worry.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
The SP3 is extremely difficult to strip down (even for Microsoft) - see ifixit articles.

This means potential weak points once re-assembled. Personally I would stay away from a refurbished SP3's, mobiles, or other 'almost' solid state devices. But that's just me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think refurbished units here were rebuilt.
I think they're somewhere between returned stock and repaired units.

I'd avoid any Pros if DIY repair is wanted to be an option.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
FWIW my Dell 10 tablet was bought refurbished and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new one. I have had no issues with it either since purchasing it a year or so ago.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
FWIW my Dell 10 tablet was bought refurbished and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new one. I have had no issues with it either since purchasing it a year or so ago.

Most Dell systems sold as refurbished are just returns. They are checked in, verified for functionality, and then resold. I have also never gotten a bad Dell via their outlet and, when I buy Dells, it is my preferred option. Having cycled through multiple SP3 warranty exchanges due to defects and system failures, which were all classified as refurbished units, I would never consider buying a refurbished SP3.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Okay well I was looking around eBay for type covers when I found the listing for the refurbished surface pro 3 i5 at $850 with a type cover. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it, I mean it's direct from Microsoft so it should be in excellent condition and at what, $230 less than new why not, but I'm worried about warranty. Like can I put a refurbished model under complete? If not then is there a similar option? Idk about Square Trade or about any other option. I'm usually really careful with my stuff, but I still have butterfingers so that's my main worry.

As per my other post, I would run the other way from a SP3 refurbished unit. Third parties cannot refurbish since they are closed systems. All they can do is verify functionality, wipe, and sell. What you would be buying is a used device and, if it had problems, they may still be present. Even Microsoft doesn't really refurbish. Their support program (again) tests returns and then either stocks them for exchanges or recycles. In my experience they also do a lousy job since I have gone through multiple exchanges (all with problems, including two with identical issues) and the current one is starting to be a bit erratic.

Quite frankly, any savings is not worth the headache and a squaretrade warranty is not as good as some people seem to think. If you read the terms you will see, like all such warranties, it is weighted in their favor and an leave you without a machine for stretches if something is not working properly. How they can try to a repair a device first when it is not serviceable before going the replacement route is a good question to ask yourself. Flawed though it may be, a Surface warranty gives you the option of advanced exchange to minimize downtime and once you walk through the diagnostics with a technician on the phone they simply do a swap.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I just saw the same thing, and was/am thinking about pulling the trigger. At $850 it is almost $300 off. I now that Apple refurbs are pretty good deals and are pretty solid. (I bought a Touch. Shoot me). If Microsoft does it like they do I would have no problem with it. The thing came from China and was like new.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just saw the same thing, and was/am thinking about pulling the trigger. At $850 it is almost $300 off. I now that Apple refurbs are pretty good deals and are pretty solid. (I bought a Touch. Shoot me). If Microsoft does it like they do I would have no problem with it. The thing came from China and was like new.
Well yeah, but Microsoft doesn't publish what "refurbished "means, unlike Apple. Plus the old store and the new store are hired companies not Microsoft. I emailed them with questions about changing the warranty date to match purchase date and was told that.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh, well I bought it so I'll keep an eye out for any problems and if any arise I have thirty days to return it, if I have to return it then I'll wait till I can get enough to buy it new with complete, if not then I'll probably stick with it for the long run, or until Microsoft releases the pro 4 and offers a trade back program like they've been doing til now.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, well I bought it so I'll keep an eye out for any problems and if any arise I have thirty days to return it, if I have to return it then I'll wait till I can get enough to buy it new with complete, if not then I'll probably stick with it for the long run, or until Microsoft releases the pro 4 and offers a trade back program like they've been doing til now.

Keep us (me) updated on how it is. I'm seriously considering it.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Of course, I'll get my hands on it on Saturday, expect an overall review on Tuesday and a decision two weeks from yesterday, it arrived on Wednesday at like noon so two weeks should be enough to abuse it sufficiently without actually breaking anything.

RedVagabond

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I got my refurb i5 256gb today in the mail. I've only seen them at Best Buy before this, but it looks pretty brand new. I checked it out, poked and prodded it, and the only thing that i foresee giving me problems in the future is the kick stand. One of the hinges looks like it has some excess glue on it and gives a little more wiggle than the other when opening the kick stand from that side. It's my guess that the hinge was brought in as a repair, and they just exchanged for a new one to whoever brought it in.
I'm getting a case for it that sort of provides it's own stand, so hopefully I won't overuse the one on the surface. Other than that it seems legit. Battery is at about 70% after me setting it up and messing around with it for a few hours doing some pdf/oneNote stuff, surfing the web, and downloading a couple apps. Pen also works great, and the keyboard has given me no issues.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Well I finally got my hands on the surface today and it looks pretty good, practically new, no scratches on screen or anything, the kick stand in particular is a bit difficult to open, nothing wrong with it, but I thought it'd be easier to move through the angles. Still good though. The only thing that worries me is that during setup I got a blue screen saying a restart was needed, just once during my ten minutes playing with it, don't have Wi-Fi atm so can't do much else, hopefully it doesn't happen again or any updates missing will fix it. Till now I have no regrets, aside from the purple type cover that is, they ran out of red, but that's just eh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720