Surface Pro 3 Questions

ar-7

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to the forms and doing some research on the Surface line. I am thinking of going from my MacBook Pro/iPad Air to the Surface Pro 3 or the 4 when that comes out. I have some questions about the Surface i'm hoping someone can answer.

First, while I own a Mac and iPad I am by no means an Apple die hard. I have an Android phone and have no problems using different systems.

I am thinking about switching to a Surface so that I have all of the capabilities of a PC with the portability of a tablet. There are also times I wish I could use a stylus on my MacBook for work.

Here are my actual questions.

- Are apps/software optimized for the screen?

This is one thing that is great about the iPad. I find the screen aspect ratio much more natural to use vs the Android tablets.

- Are there limitations?

One thing that I hate when on my phone or iPad is being limited. Examples: can't create a new label in gmail, having to use the mobile version of a website, etc. The Surface Pro 3 gives you real capabilities and not a light version that you sometimes feel like you get on a phone/tablet?

- How is the keyboard/trackpad?

I really like the keyboard/trackpad on the MacBook. How does the one on the Surface type cover compare?

- How is the performance?

The latest version of Windows I have used is Windows 7. How is the performance on a higher end Surface Pro?

Any feedback is welcomed. I'm going to be browsing some old threads too.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First of all, good to see your considering the alternatives out there.

1) Some win32 apps will have issues with the DPI scaling, modern apps will be less an issue.

2) Pretty much every review raves how much travel the keyboard has given it is extremely thin, I recall Linus from Linus tech tips exclaimed "the keys feel like they have portals underneath them!"

2a) The trackpad some would say its nowhere as good on the macbook however that is subjective at best so your better of checking it out in store for yourself.

3) The Surface Pro 3 runs windows 8.x, which is brilliant for touch and I would recommend watching some tutorials on Windows 8 if you find it too different. I'm sure you'll be fine as the learning curve is not as steep with 8.1 as some make it to be.

4) If you find the full screen start-screen difficult to get used to, you can download classic shell which is free and you can have it like Windows 7. I personally wouldn't recommend it on the Surface, as it makes more sense on a desktop PC without touch.

5) Also you can set the Surface to boot straight to the desktop via taskbar properties.

6) The battery performance would really depend on which cpu sku you get and what you run on your machine.

One key thing to note is that the Surface series are top heavy by design which is alleviated by the kickstand and you may find issue with typing on keyboard on your lap if your one to hulk smash your keys whilst typing - which will cause the type cover to jiggle, jump and a flex a little. However there is a Power keyboard cover for the surface which would help however it is only a keyboard for other surface models (power is only supplied to the Surface 2, Pro 1 & Pro 2 - Power Cover for Microsoft Surface | Surface Power Cover).

Also here are the short cut keys for Windows 8.x

Keyboard shortcuts - Windows Help

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The power keyboard works on the pro 3, you just need to do a windows update. The keyboard is the same size as the type cover 3, but in a smaller package so it doesn't cover the whole screen.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The power keyboard works on the pro 3, you just need to do a windows update. The keyboard is the same size as the type cover 3, but in a smaller package so it doesn't cover the whole screen.

They need to update the support page :grincry: lol... as people will think it doesn't (I did too until your post) and get rid of it.

Always wondered why they never made the power cover for the Sp3...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as your second question goes ( about mobile limitations)

The surface pro 3 is a FULL BLOWN PC... So you will be running full PC desktop apps...Yes the windows store currently is pretty much full of the basic Simplified apps that you find on ios and android devices (because that wat its supposed to be here in windows 8.1, and android and ios like apps store)...but the thing about the surface is, you don't have to use that store unless your want to play a quick endless runner or some simple calculator app..you have a regular desktop and can go and download PC applications from the web and install them to your SSD just like on a MacBook...and your websites will be the full desktop versions not the small mobile versions, so going to Gmail.com, you will be getting the FULL PC experience.. The Surface is a FULL PC

ar-7

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I need to get to a store and actually use one but I like what I am hearing so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos