issues with wireless display adapter

alvinwooley

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Anyone having issues with wireless display adapter? mines wont connect or doesnt show on the tv when it says it is.

Im also having issues with bluetooth its not seeing devices while in discover mode

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Try doing a soft reset first. That should clear up your issues. As for the display adapter, check your firewall and check if you have any virtual wireless adapters installed. I had installed ReadyNAS Remote a while back and it installed a virtual wireless network adapter. Once I removed it, everything worked great.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have had the best results by connecting in this order:
1. Plug adapter into USB
2. Plug adapter into HDMI port
3 - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - switch to HDMI input. The adapter will not be discoverable until it is on the correct input. When it is, you will see a Microsoft splash screen on your tv/display
4. Swipe in and choose device, add a wireless display

Hope this helps

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have had the best results by connecting in this order:
1. Plug adapter into USB
2. Plug adapter into HDMI port
3 - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - switch to HDMI input. The adapter will not be discoverable until it is on the correct input. When it is, you will see a Microsoft splash screen on your tv/display
4. Swipe in and choose device, add a wireless display

Hope this helps

Yeah sorry, step 3 isn't true. its broadcasting and sending to HDMI no matter what your tv is doing, the device only needs power applied via the USB to operate. the input of your display isn't important.

As mentioned, it will be a Bluetooth issue, or a virtual network adaptor installed - like oracle virtual pc - which is preventing it from being used.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah sorry, step 3 isn't true. its broadcasting and sending to HDMI no matter what your tv is doing, the device only needs power applied via the USB to operate. the input of your display isn't important.

this isn't true either. The Microsoft wireless adapter will not "boot" until you switch to the correct input. The easy way to test this is to have the TV on a different input. Plug in the adapter. Wait 5 minutes. Then switch to the input that the wireless adapter is on. It will still have the same boot time even though you waited 5 minutes.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Btw. I just realized you can't "soft reset" a SP3. At least not like you soft reset a phone.

Anyway, is the problem with your SP3 not seeing the wireless display adaptor, or is it a problem on the TV end? When it is plugged in and the TV is set the HDMI input that the display adaptor is in, do you see the wireless display screen on your TV? If not, if you have another HDMI input port try that and see what happens. You could also try it on a different TV or HDMI monitor. If it doesn't work on another TV you may have a defective wireless display adaptor.

If your TV is recognizing it and your SP3 is not, then that is where check your firewall and the drivers on your SP3. You can also try toggling airplane mode. That will turn off WiFi (and Bluetooth) and back on. And like I said previously, check to see if you have an virtual wireless adaptors installed on your SP3, some apps/programs will do that, for me it was ReadyNAS Remote. If you do have a virtual wireless adaptor, try disabling it first, if that doesn't work uninstall it.

Do you have any other Miracast enabled devices at home? Like a smart phone. Android or Windows Phone (I'm not sure if iPhone/iPad will work). Try connecting to the wireless display adaptor with that. If that doesn't work, then it is possible you have a defective wireless display adaptor.

As for Bluetooth. Toggle Airplane Mode or turn BT off then back on and see what happens.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
this isn't true either. The Microsoft wireless adapter will not "boot" until you switch to the correct input. The easy way to test this is to have the TV on a different input. Plug in the adapter. Wait 5 minutes. Then switch to the input that the wireless adapter is on. It will still have the same boot time even though you waited 5 minutes.

Sorry, I should have clarified; it doesn't need to be the selected input to be transmitted to, but it does need to be plugged in to both HDMI and USB.

don't know about this 5 minute boot time. mines ready within about 10 seconds of turning my tv on.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I only used 5 minutes as an example. What I'm trying to say is you need to be on the correct input for the wireless adapter to boot.

If your wireless adapter is on hdmi 2 but your TV is tuned to hdmi 1, you will not be able to connect to the device because it has not booted up yet. You will not be able to connect to the adapter until the TV is hdmi 2 because it will not be ready to connect until you set the TV to HDMI 2.

To prove that, you can do either of 2 things: 1) you try to connect to the wireless adapter when the TV is tuned to a different TV input than what the wireless adapter is connected to. OR 2). if you know that it takes 10 seconds for the wireless adapter to be ready, then if you wait longer than 10 seconds, it should be ready regardless of the tuned input. But it's not. It will always take 10 seconds and that 10 seconds does not begin until you switch to the correct input that the adapter is connected to.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I struggled when i first got my MS Adapter. Turns out it was a firewall feature for external connections [outside of your network, which is what the adapter does, creates it's own wifi connection] that needed altering.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I only used 5 minutes as an example. What I'm trying to say is you need to be on the correct input for the wireless adapter to boot.

If your wireless adapter is on hdmi 2 but your TV is tuned to hdmi 1, you will not be able to connect to the device because it has not booted up yet. You will not be able to connect to the adapter until the TV is hdmi 2 because it will not be ready to connect until you set the TV to HDMI 2.

To prove that, you can do either of 2 things: 1) you try to connect to the wireless adapter when the TV is tuned to a different TV input than what the wireless adapter is connected to. OR 2). if you know that it takes 10 seconds for the wireless adapter to be ready, then if you wait longer than 10 seconds, it should be ready regardless of the tuned input. But it's not. It will always take 10 seconds and that 10 seconds does not begin until you switch to the correct input that the adapter is connected to.

Might depend on the TV model too, I have no problems connecting to the wireless adaptor no matter what input is selected on my tv. its a Samsung series 6 smart tv - so about 5 years old.

I even tested it last night :)

not trying to prove you wrong, I guess there are plenty of scenarios.

back to the issue at hand, has it been solved? and what was it?

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Something I do find with wireless display adapters is that if your connected but screen is black. Open the Display Properties page in the Intel Graphic Adapter software and change the refresh rate from 30 hz to 25hz and screen will appear on your display. I think it is a HDMI/HDCP issue with the HDMI on the display. I have this issue with several Miracast display adapters and the Intel Drivers

Rob Nickolls

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my Surface 3. I tried every suggestion I could find and it showed connection, black screen and then disconnected. This showed up after Windows 10 preview build 10166. I ended up opening device manager in control panel and deleting the video driver which forced a reboot, After booting and restoring the video device automatically the display adapter worked as before. Wish I had tried this first...

ploypailin

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I have plugged in my microsoft wireless display adapter, pressed the hdmi 2 button and up pops the splash screen. In windows 10. I search for apps and the display f9 adapter comes up. I press connect and it starts to search, failed to connect comes up and a screen at the bottom reads
Conflict found Wireless display and wi fi access point are on different wi fi channels, you can try reconnecting to your wireless display if performance is disgraded. I have searched you tube with this info and nothing comes up, HELP PLEASE

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
i had an issue with mine.

i held down the button on the display adaptor for about 30 seconds and reset it to factory.

then i set it up again. hasnt been a problem. might be worth trying that!

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have plugged in my microsoft wireless display adapter, pressed the hdmi 2 button and up pops the splash screen. In windows 10. I search for apps and the display f9 adapter comes up. I press connect and it starts to search, failed to connect comes up and a screen at the bottom reads
Conflict found Wireless display and wi fi access point are on different wi fi channels, you can try reconnecting to your wireless display if performance is disgraded. I have searched you tube with this info and nothing comes up, HELP PLEASE

How is this issue fixed?

earthdr

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
All these suggestions are just wild goose chases. Microsoft made a device that simply won't work with a huge number of fairly recent computers. Why they don't just admit it in these useless threads, I don't know? Some manufacturers will tell you if your device is compatible with MS Display. That should be your first search.:angry:

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
All these suggestions are just wild goose chases. Microsoft made a device that simply won't work with a huge number of fairly recent computers. Why they don't just admit it in these useless threads, I don't know? Some manufacturers will tell you if your device is compatible with MS Display. That should be your first search.:angry:

Mine works perfectly with all my devices.

Aaron Sanders2

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Do you know the radio frequency of your wireless network (i.e. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)? My experience with this error with my Microsoft Wireless Display led me to discover that the adapter operates at 5Ghz, and my network was configured for 2.4Ghz. Once I enabled 5Ghz on my network and connected to my network at that frequency, I was able to connect to my display adapter and the error message went away.

I think the wireless adapter in your device can only work at one frequency at once, so if you are connected to a network at 2.4Ghz, you cannot connect to the Wireless Display Adapter at 5Ghz at the same time. A first step you could take is see if you can connect to the adapter while not connected to any networks.

Aaron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077