Surface Pro 3 with free type cover worth it?

Matthias Verboven

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

I'm on the fence of buying a Surface Pro/Macbook Pro for college this September.

I now found that I can get the SP3 i5/256GB model with a free type cover and Miracast dongle for 1299 euros.(almost the same price as a Macbook Pro)

My question now is: is it still worth getting the SP3 with the SP4 on the horizon? The deal lasts until the 1th of June, so convince me as to why the SP3 is better than a Macbook Pro.

Thanks all! :)

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If you will be using it for school, then being able to annotate notes while in class will be immeasurably more useful than toting around a MacBook. You're timeline is a bit tight though because you will be starting school in the next few months. So we don't know if the SP4 will even be out when you start school.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
GET IT!!!
Actually it depends what your using it for, if you don't need the additional power id get a Surface 3, I've got the Pro 3 (i5 256gb) and in hindsight I now wish id got the Surface 3
Also if you haven't got office yet it'll be worth getting Office 365 University, as its way cheaper than Office 2013

Matthias Verboven

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies :)

I've been researching a bit more and a big multimedia store(MediaMarkt in Belgium, much like BestBuy), will be doing a VAT free week starting this wednesday. That means I can get the i5/256GB model for only 1075 euros(type cover not included) :D

I'm going to do a bit more research on the SP3 and will let you know if I bought it or not.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I swear the SP3 was designed for students. Last semester everyone in my class was envious my SP3. It was sad to have someone that JUST bought a MacBook, then see me work with my SP3, then look at their MacBook, and shake their head, and say "Had I known about the SP3 I would have bought it instead."

Even better was my instructor, at least every other week he would ask me to stay behind after class and ask me questions about the SP3, and ask to try it out. By the end of the semester he said he was definitely going to get one.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I personally think that the Surface should be THE device that everyone has.

i have a surface 2. the only reason that my surface 2 is not my daily drives is that my employer gives me a laptop that i have to use.

but when i get home. i only use my surface, it is so portable in a very nice way. i usually remove the type cover and use it freely, the kickstand is the most important thing that each tablet must have. the reason is when you are in the bathroom, kitchen or any where with water involved, you can easily make it stand (without worrying that it might get wet - as it requires so little space to stand) and watch youtube, movies, or anything without getting it messed up. this will happen naturally i even didn't realize that i do this only lately.

sometimes i wish my surf​​​​ace 2 is broken to justify buying the 3. :)

andreqms

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just finished uni. I used the Surface Pro 3 as my notebook for the whole last year. It's brilliant! Someone asked me to share solutions for questions at the end of the semestre and I could just 'print as PDF' or share the whole notebook with this person.

Now I use it for my internship. From 10am to 5pm, the battery has just 5% at the end of the day, but I work programming with my SP3. I'm using the USB port everytime. And if I need to take notes, I can still use it. I bought the Dock Station (I use it at home), so I carry the charger everytime, but I just used it one time.

Cannot wait for Windows 10 to come out, but I would not install it in beta stage since I need all functions and baterry working 100%.

I can say that this device is perfect! =D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes