Surface Pro 3 & WP vs Ipad & Iphone

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Having a discussion at work about using the Surface Pro 3 and a Windows Phone vs. Ipad/Iphone.

Tablets and phones are being used more and more - and I am not suggesting they replace desktops. But why use the combination of the Surface Pro 3 & WP over the Ipad/Iphone

Since the work locations heavily uses Windows 7, MS Sql Server, MS 2008/2012 servers, Outlook, Office and SharePoint, it seemed like a good idea. But I can't really find any advantage.

The Surface Pro 3 has a use slot and a full OS. But for with cloud storage, USB is not that relevant. Full OS, well the Ipad gets office and a host of other apps. Apple also enjoys the UI of choice.

WP has MS apps but they seem to have less features than Android and Apple.

Is there better integration with Office, Outlook, SharePoint with a Surface? Is there an advantage for better hardware (i7 vs whatever and Ipad uses)?

Why get the MS combo over the Apple combo?

Since I don't use an Ipad or Surface, but would like to hear some opinoins.

Yes, I want a surface...

Mr. V

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Surface Pro 3 would be better than any other tablet, since it runs full Windows, not a mobile OS. However, one wouldn't need to use a Windows Phone with a Surface Pro 3. The companion phone could just as easily be an iPhone or Android.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I've used a Surface Pro 3 since release day, and it replaced my Surface Pro 2. I've also used almost every combination of laptop/tablet/phone you can imagine (MBP + iPad; Dell XPS 15 + Asus VivoTab Note 8; you can begin to see my drift). Surface Pro 3 HANDS DOWN beats these combinations. I have it attached to its dock at my desk, pushing the internal screen and two daisy chained 2560x1440 display port monitors and it rarely breaks a sweat (of course, no hardcore gaming - but if you're looking for that you should be visiting Alienware). Yes, it is a little larger than an iPad as a tablet (at least an Air; the first three generations of iPad not so much), but I'm not shackled to TWO devices. I use mine with an iPhone 6 Plus, so that cuts down the need for an ultralight anything. Even with the Type Cover it is not much bigger than the new MacBook, but has a real processor (sorry Core M - you're stuck between full Core and Atom), touch screen and pen to boot. Skip the WP - with all of the Microsoft software on my iP6+ it is a joy to use with my SPro 3. MS Office is nice on the iPad, but just a shadow of its desktop self on the SPro 3.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Like Laura says, the SP3 is a better choice. As for phone, I have the Icon and it integrates really well with both my SP3 AND HP Desktop. The Microsoft apps for WP are just as good as the Android and iPhone variants. With that said, Microsoft is truly has the best cross platform integration. So, if you already own an iPhone or Android, then you will have no issues using OneDrive or Office.

As far as usage, my SP3 has replaced a 17" Dell laptop, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and an Acer netbook. I can work on images and even video (though video editing can make it chug a little). While my daughter is in ballet, I've let her friends doodle with it. And my daughter can even practice handwriting or do some of her homework on it. Things that I could not do on my Note 10.1 or a laptop.

I don't have the dock for it. I've considered it, but I have a desktop for my heavy lifting needs such as video editing. Storage isn't a big problem. I have the i5/128GB model with a 128GB microSD card. I also have Office 365 Home with unlimited OneDrive storage. The stuff I use most often are available offline, so I don't always need an internet connection to work on them. When I'm out and about, I see MacBook users plugged into an outlet (which limits where they can sit); although I carry a power adaptor in my back pack, I rarely use it, because the battery life is really good.

The final upshot is that when Windows 10 is released, it is a FREE upgrade and will allow for even better integration between devices. That was Microsoft's hallmark back in the day, and I really like how it's going back to it roots of providing cross platform compatibility with its products.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
fwiw I just went his route earlier in the year.
my desktop died and my 'dumb' phone was ready to be replaced by a smart phone.

the SP3 (with dock) replaced the desktop and my laptop.
I went for the WP nokia 930 as I wanted a 5" screen and thought MS integration might be "simpler"

some things/experiences:
  • very happy with the SP3 (as a desktop and laptop replacement, as well as a tablet) except for lack of support on things that don't work properly (external hard drives via dock etc)
  • usually purchase of an app is good for phone and SP3 - ie single purchase
  • phone is robust/stable but occasionally annoying with lack of apps - not a deal breaker for me.
  • some MS apps on phone are annoyingly deficient (Calendar etc)

do I get better integration with a WP rather than android or iPhone? dunno, haven't tried the other options, but am happy enough. I went for WP cause I read android is more prone to bloatware and virus (being open) and iPhone just appears to be bad value for $ and the UI isn't as customizable.

will I change?
  • W10 might be good or bad. won't be rushing in to upgrade. some rumours W10 is a backward step on the tablet, but probably won't know til final release.
  • might change from WP if/when lack of apps stops me being productive or just gets too annoying.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, office isn't as good on windows phone yet as it is on iPhone, most of the Microsoft apps are better on iPhone than windows phone. Sometimes they even come out first on iOS.

I use iPhone 6 plus and a surface pro 3. It works great. I use iCloud to sync my contacts and calendar to my iPhone, and outlook 2013. It's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue with Office on WP is the fact that I can't reply to an email and attach an Office document to it. I have to create a whole new email by going into OneDrive and select the file to share. That is THE most important thing I think Microsoft needs to fix in its WP Outlook client. Otherwise, Office on WP works very well.

As for the SP3, because it runs the full version of Windows, Office 365/Office 2013 are just like a conventional laptop or desktop. Office 2016 Preview is out and I'm running it on my desktop, but not on my SP3, so I don't know how well it works on touch enabled devices.

I like my SP3/WP setup. Windows Phone is more secure that Android and more customizable then iOS. I especially like Office Lens and OneNote on WP. As Windows 10 is released, I'll have Cortana support across all my devices.

Microsoft is definitely moving in the right direction with its cross platform support.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried your iP6 with an Ipad for comparison? Just curious

To be clear, office isn't as good on windows phone yet as it is on iPhone, most of the Microsoft apps are better on iPhone than windows phone. Sometimes they even come out first on iOS.

I use iPhone 6 plus and a surface pro 3. It works great. I use iCloud to sync my contacts and calendar to my iPhone, and outlook 2013. It's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss