Will The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Support Windows Hello???

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
it's like asking if your DVD player would support Bluray when it first came out.
It's a new feature, it requires new hardware, therefore surface (pro) 3 won't support this feature. newer products (except for low budget probably) will.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, unfortunately not! Windows hello requires an infrared camera or an iris scanner, which the SP3 does not have! The SP4 will most definitely have it! :)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why not.

*Windows Hello requires specialized hardware, including fingerprint reader, illuminated IR sensor or other biometric sensors.

Making Windows 10 More Personal and More Secure with Windows Hello

A camera, regardless of whether its illuminated IR or not, can be used as a biometric sensor. If you don't believe me, just ask the US Military. They've been using them for years in biometric face recognition.

Android has been using the front facing camera to do face recognition for years. My Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note II both had it and those phones were manufactured 3 years ago.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would think it should work with existing cameras. Now having said that, the advantage of the new hardware they are talking about is that it is supposed to be awesome at actually identifying your actual face and not a picture of you. So companies might not really deploy it without fancy new hardware.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
True. That was one of the problems with it on Android. I actually used a picture of myself from 20 years ago and it still unlocked my phone. Android fixed that issue by incorporating other things like looking for movement such as eye blinking. I really didn't use facial recognition all that much though. Mainly because the added security didn't provide enough benefits over reduced convenience. Yes, I know that we have to sacrifice a bit of convenience to get more security. I'm security aware enough to have a screen lock with at least a PIN, I'm just not that concerned about unauthorized access to my phone to warrant using facial or fingerprint recognition devices just yet. Neither of which will protect you if your phone is hacked from an internal security hole, like inadvertently downloading and installing an app designed to break into it. Which the chances of happening on a Windows Phone is less than and Android and even an iPhone.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Windows Hello requires depth sensing. Otherwise, it's not safe like all the current facial recognition systems which can be tricked by photographs or by videos. Even the advanced facial recognition systems now can be bypassed by showing a video of the person. I'm not going to touch Windows Hello at all if a basic webcam will be sufficient because webcams can be easily tricked.

Windows Hello will use a system similar to a Kinect camera.

Current finger print readers will work with Windows Hello. But those are mostly on Thinkpads and other Lenovo devices.

monstervinvin

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone can "HACK" or Trick the system to at least give us the taste of Windows Hello using a normal camera.
IDC if it's a little unsafe since I only want to use it for myself :>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss