I always felt like my Surface Pro 2 was built like a tank. Much more sturdy than the SP3 or S3.

But the other week, I had it on the passenger seat and through a series of actions, the machine ended up falling off the car seat and hitting the pavement. My mouth gasped as I saw it fall for what seemed like eternity. Smack right on the concrete parking lot ground. I was praying no damage as the SP2 is my favorite PC.

Luckily, no scratches (I have a skin on it) and no problems with it. It just keeps on tanking along. It's be a tough battle between the SP2 and Panasonic's Toughbook...
    RTGent likes this.
    07-05-2015 10:13 PM
    I always felt like my Surface Pro 2 was built like a tank. Much more sturdy than the SP3 or S3.

But the other week, I had it on the passenger seat and through a series of actions, the machine ended up falling off the car seat and hitting the pavement. My mouth gasped as I saw it fall for what seemed like eternity. Smack right on the concrete parking lot ground. I was praying no damage as the SP2 is my favorite PC.

Luckily, no scratches (I have a skin on it) and no problems with it. It just keeps on tanking along. It's be a tough battle between the SP2 and Panasonic's Toughbook...
    What sort of skin do you have? Make and model?
    07-13-2015 09:12 AM
    I just got a cheap skin from DecalGirl. Nothing special about it. I like DecalGirl because it's easy to customize with my own designs and it comes in glossy or matte. Used to be a huge matte fan but have gotten to love the glossy kind. But I had to use a skin because that black scratches fairly easily.

Their Surface Pro 2 skin fits great. Their Surface 3 skin doesn't fit so great. Never tried the Surface Pro 3 skin but hoping it fits better than S3.
    07-15-2015 07:35 PM
    what scares me is not whether it breaks, but what to do once it does actually.
    onlysublime likes this.
    07-15-2015 07:51 PM
    what scares me is not whether it breaks, but what to do once it does actually.
    I know. I dread breaking any computer. It's especially dangerous with a tablet body or ultrabooks since it's hard to take out the SSD. At least with an older laptop, all it took was a screwdriver to remove the door to swap drives. But miniaturization requires sacrificing some things. That's why I'm so happy that Surface machines come with a full-sized USB port. Makes a huge difference not to have dongles connected and to not depend on fragile microUSB.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-17-2015 01:46 PM
    I absolutely love my SP2. I have a few pre-existing scratches on the chassis, however my Urban Armor Gear works great to protect it from further damage. Glad to see yours is doing well after her tumble.
    07-19-2015 11:19 PM
    That's simple: as with my Lumia 1020, I'd be online immediately shopping for a mint SP2. I lost my first device yesterday: a Kindle Fire HD7. I'll wait the weekend to see if it turns up, probably at the restaurant where I left it; if not, I'll be looking to get a replacement of the same excellent unit on Monday.
    08-07-2015 08:10 AM
    I'm running a naked SP2, except for the always-attached type cover, but I use it rather gently and still less frequently than my every-day/everywhere RT. I've dropped both devices, but only on carpet or wood, and they both still look new, except for some fraying on the RT's touch cover. I wouldn't care much about scuffs or scratches, but I need their still-industry-best functionality and portability critically, and greatly appreciate those original Surface "tank" designs and sizes.
    08-07-2015 08:27 AM