During reboot, gets stuck at "Surface" logo for a long time

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this start happening some time since Windows 10 build 9926, not sure exactly when it was. There have also been a few firmware updates since then so who knows the cause.

When I resume the machine from sleep, sometimes the WiFi is limited. The only solution when that happens seems to be a shutdown & restart. (Don't get me started on why MS uses the crappy Marvell Wi-Fi chipset in their flagship machines and umpteen firmware and driver updates still haven't made it work right)

While it's restarting, it displays the Surface logo for two or three full minutes before the progress dots ever begin twirling.

Question 1: WTF is it doing? (WTF is a technical term meaning "Please explain politely what")
Question 2: How do I make it behave normally?

Pierreken

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the same long waiting time during boot but it does not always happen. I thought it had to do with my dual-boot setup on my SP3 (Win8.1 and Win10 b 10240). Are you running dual-boot? Do you have this on every reboot/cold boot?

I don't have the Wifi problem (at least I haven't noticed it yet) so I can't really help troubleshooting that.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It's a firmware bug, that if you have the keyboard in the "passive position" (meaning folded back) and you reboot, it delays the startup.

The work around is, One: flip the keyboard back forward in the active position, then reboot. Two: disconnect the keyboard, then reboot.

I have been round and round with MS support on this issue, going no where. As they stated "We can not recreate this issue with the systems we have". But I was able to go to a local MS store and recreate it on half the floor models. Unfortunately the MS store floor models are managed systems, and I could see that half of them were running older firmware, that doesn't have this problem. The other half (with this issue) did have new firmware.

We need MORE people contacting MS support about this issue, so they might get off their collective butts and fix it. When you contact MS Support, make sure you tell them which SP3 you have (i3, i5, i7, disk size) and which firmware version you are running.

P.S.
I've gone through 3 systems (exchanges at the request of MS techs) to figure out this issue. Each time, a brand new system (older firmware) had no problems. But as soon as the newest firmware was installed, this issue came back.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's a firmware bug, that if you have the keyboard in the "passive position" (meaning folded back) and you reboot, it delays the startup.

The work around is, One: flip the keyboard back forward in the active position, then reboot. Two: disconnect the keyboard, then reboot.

I have been round and round with MS support on this issue, going no where. As they stated "We can not recreate this issue with the systems we have". But I was able to go to a local MS store and recreate it on half the floor models. Unfortunately the MS store floor models are managed systems, and I could see that half of them were running older firmware, that doesn't have this problem. The other half (with this issue) did have new firmware.

We need MORE people contacting MS support about this issue, so they might get off their collective butts and fix it. When you contact MS Support, make sure you tell them which SP3 you have (i3, i5, i7, disk size) and which firmware version you are running.

P.S.
I've gone through 3 systems (exchanges at the request of MS techs) to figure out this issue. Each time, a brand new system (older firmware) had no problems. But as soon as the newest firmware was installed, this issue came back.
You may be on to something there. I do indeed use the device almost exclusively with the keyboard folded back, only flip it out when I need a key that doesn't exist on the virtual keyboard or I need to type something quickly and accurately, or need a mouse pointer.

I just tested rebooting with keyboard disconnected, twice, and it booted quickly, around 4 seconds on "Surface" before the dots started spinning. Plugged the keyboard back in and it's 3 minutes.

I will open a support ticket at Microsoft on this issue, thanks!

EDIT: After a *LONG* chat with a MS rep on Surface Support, basically verifying that I had already gotten the latest firmware and applied it correctly, the guy let it slip that this is a "known issue" that will hopefully be resolved in a future update. So I guess I'm stuck with the workaround of disconnecting or folding the keyboard forward before rebooting.

Last edited:

Rainmarie

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I had the same issue and it prevented me from getting regular updates. What my Dad and brother did on my Dell Inspiron was to get the latest drivers for my BIO through the Dell website and they had to update it through Safe Mode because of the same issue you guys are reporting. Windows + R then type "msconfig". Then guess what I wasn't set to normal boot. When Dad changed it to normal boot, then the problem was solved and now I can get normal updates. Mine was a combination of both and it drove me crazy. Be careful with the BIOs however as you may already know. I'm sure that could be the problem that with this preview many may not be aware of is it is set to that startup mode and not normal mode. That should solve the issue. The other thing you can try is troubleshoot your computer. I hear there is a built in troubleshoot, but I haven't tried it, but your best bet is to check your drivers and your startup and that's almost a sure fix!

Rainmarie

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Again I repeat please check that you have selected "normal startup" under configuration. That should hopefully fix the issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb