SP3 with windows 10 hot and the fan don't stop

rotiv85

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experience heating problems after the update to windows 10?

The fan keeps rolling, even in simple tasks. With 8.1 almost never I hear the fan and the heat was normal..

Anyone with this problem? And know how to resolve?
Thanks

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have this problem too. I found several bugs and problems all over.
First; after sleep System & System Interrupts uses %30 CPU power and it causes heat and fan noise.
Second: Edge browser uses too much CPU, produce heat & noise.
Third: Unexpected = Localhosts (10 / 16 / 18) service uses at least %30 CPU power.

Terrible battery life is a bonus.
Windows 10 is still beta. I bought SP3 because I believe M.S has the software and the hardware. I expected smooth experience on this device. The truth is; SP3 is just a PC needs a lots of maintenances and time to work properly.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea..... my SP3 was unusable without the power cord plugged in. Battery died in less than 3 hours with what used to be normal use (W8.1 was all day use).

I finally gave up and went back to W8.1 :( I really do want to like W10, but it's just not happening, yet. Maybe after a few updates.)

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm suffering the same issues, surface gets really hot sometimes and battery is pretty terrible since upgrade.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
There is a thread on this, people complaining about overheating, fan gonig off quickly, the upper right side getting hot and massive battery drain. had this issue as well, it went away with the last update on preview and came back a few days later.

Looked in my task manager and something called "wsaapx" was using about 20% of my cpu constantly, i rebooted and it came up again but eventually went away and my sp3 stopped overheating quickly. so i check for that everytime i boot now to make sure, but that seemed to be the problem for me. If i turn on my sp3 and do nothing, i shoudl be at 2-3% cpu usage and if browse, it should be probably 5-10%. So 20% is quite a bit for doing nothing. This task seems to be related to the windows store sbased on my search.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I solved some of the problems to installing latest firmware update from : https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-for-surface%3Fos%3Dwindows-10&token=mR3-L2__

Download SurfacePro3_Win10_150723_0.msi and install it. It solved system & system interrupts problems for sure. Service Host problems are gone too. But I have a problem with Windows Audio Graph Isolation. It uses cpu when I listen or watch something.

Thanks so much!! This solved the problem immediately on my SP3.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I solved some of the problems to installing latest firmware update from : https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-for-surface%3Fos%3Dwindows-10&token=o4krYY5j

Download SurfacePro3_Win10_150723_0.msi and install it. It solved system & system interrupts problems for sure. Service Host problems are gone too. But I have a problem with Windows Audio Graph Isolation. It uses cpu when I listen or watch something.

This worked like a charm. I suppose it is to be released with the rest of the Tuesday updates.

With all that beta testers, you would think this issue would be resolved before the launch.

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
This worked like a charm. I suppose it is to be released with the rest of the Tuesday updates.

With all that beta testers, you would think this issue would be resolved before the launch.

Yeah right :) Windows 10 is kinda very fast released. Actually this firmware update is the old one. From 23/07/2015. Windows 10 upgrade mess it up somehow. Don't know why or even when :) But refresh it solves :)

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue return after refreshing the firmware? I shut down my SP3 overnight, fired it up this morning and heard the fan kick in. Checked task manager and System and System Interrupts are up to their old tricks again - using a lot of CPU power.

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue return after refreshing the firmware? I shut down my SP3 overnight, fired it up this morning and heard the fan kick in. Checked task manager and System and System Interrupts are up to their old tricks again - using a lot of CPU power.

It happened to me too. This System and System Interrupts job is checking hardware signals. If there is a problem for example with your power adapter or your USB keyboard these guys start to work. So when it happened to me I suspect my power adapter and unplugged it. Mades no change. Unplugged Touch Keyboard and Bluetooth Mouse also didn't make difference but waiting for a minute everything unplugged they did disappear.
It has to be a driver problem on Windows 10. Because it happens some time to time. If there are a real problem it has to be happen ever time I plug the problematic "thing". Let's try to unplugged your 3th party devices one by one and check if they are gone.

rotiv85

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I solved some of the problems to installing latest firmware update from : https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-for-surface%3Fos%3Dwindows-10&token=AVkP0OxB

Thanks, it solve my problem at the moment. Hope it stays that way.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This problem comes back intermittently for me. Generally a restart of the SP3 fixes it. I haven't found anything that seems to cause it yet. I thought it was maybe the touch keyboard, but it doesn't seem to be.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I had just noticed this update waiting to be installed last night. Seems to have stopped my fans, I also am hoping it stays that way...

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
This problem comes back intermittently for me. Generally a restart of the SP3 fixes it. I haven't found anything that seems to cause it yet. I thought it was maybe the touch keyboard, but it doesn't seem to be.
Yeah I know it comes back to me as well. I also saw my first BSOD. Apps are also crashes. Especially Instapic and Store. Battery life sucks. 3 or 4 Hours max.
This is what I do to get more perf and less heat / noise so far:
  • Disable Bitlocker
  • Disable Superfetch
  • Disconnect any Micro Sd-Card
Nothing works. And also I just restore to windows 8.1 using Surface Pro 3 firmware directly from M.S support and then reinstall Windows 10. Really painful process. Now I just give up. I start using it as an expensive tablet. I start using my Macbook pro again for coding and developing. I have SP3 I7 - 256GB version. I believe I7 is not a good choice to fit that slim machine at least for MS engineer.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just go back to windows 8.1 then and wait a while for more updates rollout for Win 10. They're still working on making things work better.Because Microsoft is "betting the Farm" on Windows 10.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just sorted both my SP3 and my wife's Surface Pro overheating problem thanks to another user (Will credit later when I have more time).

I found that Runtime Broker was always running at over %20 in task manager (Hey Cortana, run task manager).

Head into settings, system, notifications and turn off "show me tip about windows".

My fan stopped almost immediately :smile:

The same command showed no overheating or mass CPU usage on my Stream 7 or desktop, so it looks like a Surface problem.

Credit for Xankazo for this thread:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/371571-rutime-broker-taking-up-10%-cpu-constantly.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb