Surface Pro 2 - why do I have high CPU usage after disconnecting Cover?

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro 2 - High CPU usage after disconnecting Cover

I've posted this question on Microsoft's community forum, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try here too.

I have a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10, and I use the Power Cover. Every now and then the mouse in my Power Cover stops working properly (that has happened to me with all the Type Covers and Surface tablets I've used, so it's not peculiar to my device). The way I usually fixed that is by disconnecting the Cover and connecting it again, but since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I've noticed that after I disconnect the cover my CPU usage shoots up due to three processes, namely "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process", "Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) (15)" and "System". Collectively they cause my CPU usage to go above 50%, which then causes my Surface to warm up. The only way to return it to normal is by restarting the tablet. The firmware for my Surface Pro 2 is up to date, as are the drivers for my Power Cover. Is there any way to fix this issue permanently?

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Surface Pro. High CPU usage with basically the same processes you are talking about (Network Restricted (13) instead of (15)). My CPU usage is around 60-70% at idle. I came home to the fan blowing away this evening and about a minute ago it just fixed itself. Weird. Please respond to this thread if you have any more information. Maybe it was a bug in the cumulative update?

Jonathan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise