GRRRR SP3 Video Quality......GRRRRRRRR

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So I've discovered my first reason to seriously get freaked out with the hardware configuration of my Surface Pro 3....

I've had my SP3 for a year now and (hard to believe but it's true) I've never used the video recording function.

Today I was asked to video a meeting at work. Normally I'd use my Lumia 1520 but I happened to have my SP3 to hand and thought I'd give the video recorder a go.

Big mistake.... never again....

The video quality is ok at best, but it's the noise caused by the fan that's the biggest problem. I had the device plugged in. I mention this because I suspect that the fan usually kicks in more frequently when the machine is on charge.

The fan kicked in about a minute into the video and for the next 10 minutes there's a very, very loud hissing sound throughout the recording. It's so loud that it nearly totally drowns out the voice of the person I was recording. It's a constant hissing sound, a SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise throughout the video.

How on earth did this make it through quality control? Surely the guys at MS must have ran into this problem when developing the machine. Did they just decide to let it pass anyway?

As far as I can tell this is a pretty serious design flaw that essentially makes the video recording feature a non starter.

Disappointing Microsoft.... really disappointing :eck:

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
So I've discovered my first reason to seriously get freaked out with the hardware configuration of my Surface Pro 3....

I've had my SP3 for a year now and (hard to believe but it's true) I've never used the video recording function.

Today I was asked to video a meeting at work. Normally I'd use my Lumia 1520 but I happened to have my SP3 to hand and thought I'd give the video recorder a go.

Big mistake.... never again....

The video quality is ok at best, but it's the noise caused by the fan that's the biggest problem. I had the device plugged in. I mention this because I suspect that the fan usually kicks in more frequently when the machine is on charge.

The fan kicked in about a minute into the video and for the next 10 minutes there's a very, very loud hissing sound throughout the recording. It's so loud that it nearly totally drowns out the voice of the person I was recording. It's a constant hissing sound, a SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise throughout the video.

How on earth did this make it through quality control? Surely the guys at MS must have ran into this problem when developing the machine. Did they just decide to let it pass anyway?

As far as I can tell this is a pretty serious design flaw that essentially makes the video recording feature a non starter.

Disappointing Microsoft.... really disappointing :eck:

The camera is so bad it shouldn't be used for anything. I can live with it always being out of focus, but the quality beyond that is also bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos