SP3 Type Cover making cracking sound

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the magnet part of their Type Cover makes a cracking sound when bended? It's not a huge problem, just wondering if I'll have to replace it in the future. It still works, but it doesn't sound intentional.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Is this the magnet attaching the type cover to the tablet or the other one?

It's between the keyboard and the large magnet that props up the keyboard (so you can hear it every time the keyboard is propped up or moved around in any way while connected to the Surface). It's more like a popping sound.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just took mine off and shook it vigorously, including moving the magnet section back and forth. The very slightest of sound was made, and that sounded like the keys moving a little. No noise at all from the magnet section. I'd say you've got something broken loose, might be worth taking it into a MS store and see if they'll give you an exchange.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine sounds like there's two seperated parts inside the cover, and their rubbing against each other is making a scratching sound. It's not from the keys.

This may sound silly. But what color type cover is it? I went to get a replacement cyan type cover and the Microsoft store rep said that the cyan type covers were all being recalled, so they pulled them off the shelves. He didn't know exact details, just mentioned that they were breaking easy.

And yes, I think it's kind of weird that Microsoft would pull the cyan type cover for the SP3 and not any of the other colors.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This may sound silly. But what color type cover is it? I went to get a replacement cyan type cover and the Microsoft store rep said that the cyan type covers were all being recalled, so they pulled them off the shelves. He didn't know exact details, just mentioned that they were breaking easy.

And yes, I think it's kind of weird that Microsoft would pull the cyan type cover for the SP3 and not any of the other colors.

It's the black one.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well there goes that theory then.

I have the blue one now and I when I moved my keyboard while is connected I can hear a faint scratching/clicking sound. But it doesn't sound like anything is broke. Just a faint sound that is barely (for me) noticeable. There are ribbon connectors/cables in the hinge area and they are designed with some leeway to allow the keyboard to be bent all the way back. That scratching/clicking sound could be those cables sliding to be able to move with the keyboard hinge.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine makes that sound too. Like I said previously, there are ribbon cables inside. There has to be some play in them. I not, you would not be able to bend the keyboard back without breaking.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine makes that sound too. Like I said previously, there are ribbon cables inside. There has to be some play in them. I not, you would not be able to bend the keyboard back without breaking.

My Surface RT touch cover never made this sound, and my SP3 type cover didn't make this sound until recently. I used it a lot as a tablet for a while, so it was flipped on the back several times, and there was never any cracking.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got a new cyan type cover and it also made a cracking sound. It is brand new, not used. Both my blue and cyan type covers make it. Like I said, there are ribbon cables in the hinge and the "cracking" sounds just like ribbon cables being bent. So unless it is actually affecting the function then you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound good. Mine is a quiet as a (non-squeaking) mouse.

My Surface RT cover was like that, and as was this cover the first couple of weeks. It's fine though, I take it off when I use it as a tablet anyway. If it breaks, I'll send it back to them, but I plan on getting a SP4 cover if it has a larger trackpad anyway :p

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
My Surface RT cover was like that, and as was this cover the first couple of weeks. It's fine though, I take it off when I use it as a tablet anyway. If it breaks, I'll send it back to them, but I plan on getting a SP4 cover if it has a larger trackpad anyway :p

When's the Pro 4 going to be released anyway?

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
When's the Pro 4 going to be released anyway?
The rumor mill has said a major announcement from MSFT will be in October, and the guesses are Pro4, plus the new flagship phones. I saw one that suspected a miniXBox console as well, but an article on Linkedin this morning quashed that.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
The rumor mill has said a major announcement from MSFT will be in October, and the guesses are Pro4, plus the new flagship phones. I saw one that suspected a miniXBox console as well, but an article on Linkedin this morning quashed that.

I hope that a power covers going to be released!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I hope that a power covers going to be released!

I'm not sure a power cover is needed. At least not with the SP3 or possible SP4. I had a power cover for my SP1 and though it did extend my battery life significantly, the weight made it almost not worth it. Even with Windows 10, I'm getting pretty good battery life on my SP3.

I would like to see a Chiclet style keyboard though. I believe they work better and have a better feel to them. My opinion though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss