Surface Pro 2 New Owner

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi All :)

Just wanted to sign up to a forum where i can chat about all things surface as i'm a new owner of one. I picked up a Surface Pro 2 for what I thought was a good price to replace my iPad Mini and am just waiting for it to turn up.

Wondering how the batteries in these things hold up? That's kinda the only thing I'm worried about with it being 2nd hand!

Cheers

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your upgrade and welcome to the site. First, if you'll notice, you posted this in the Surface Pro 3 section. If you move back one, you'll see the Surface Pro 2 section of the forums. Doesn't really matter though as most info pertains to all PRO models.

Good luck with your new device! Yes, you've found one of the best forums to chat about it here. We're all big fans of the Surface line, and there's many knowledgeable and helpful members here that are always willing to answer any questions you may have.

Let us know when it arrives, and when you get time, let us know how you like it, what software/apps you might use, and if you plan on installing Windows 10 on it.

Cheers!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All :)

Just wanted to sign up to a forum where i can chat about all things surface as i'm a new owner of one. I picked up a Surface Pro 2 for what I thought was a good price to replace my iPad Mini and am just waiting for it to turn up.

Wondering how the batteries in these things hold up? That's kinda the only thing I'm worried about with it being 2nd hand!

Cheers

Most consumer-grade devices retain 80% of the original capacity after a few years. My SP2 can still get through a day (barely), although I'd leave it more up to Windows 10 than the batteries

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
-Ed Boland
Awwww my bad! Wasn't paying attention, will ensure I post in the correct sections next time :)

That's great to hear! I really like to dig deep into my devices and really find out what they can do! So I'll probably be tapping into the knowledge that everyone here has at some point.

Sure! I'll definitely do that! Not sure what apps are actually available these days on the Windows app store...Been using the iPad and my MacBook for so long now that I've not really touched a windows device other than the odd Windows 8 and 10 VM.

One thing I did want to ask is am I okay to just use the bootable Windows 8 ISO that I have to re-install the OS on it when it comes...? It doesn't need a specific version or ISO does it? It's a legit one too from MSDN so I'm sure I'll be prompted for the Windows 10 upgrade (that is supported on the surface Pro 2 isn't it?)

-jojoe
Phew! Good news again :) sure I'll be a tad let down as my iPad could go a week on one charge but then again it was pretty limited with regards to software and apps so I'll sacrifice that battery life for more functionality :)

Edit: Have a few accessories coming for it too as it only comes by itself with the charger and nothing else. Have a glass screen protector coming and also a snugg sleeve for it too. Eyeing up decals for it too ;) hehe

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

One thing I did want to ask is am I okay to just use the bootable Windows 8 ISO that I have to re-install the OS on it when it comes...? It doesn't need a specific version or ISO does it? It's a legit one too from MSDN so I'm sure I'll be prompted for the Windows 10 upgrade (that is supported on the surface Pro 2 isn't it?)
You'll want to use the restore function to restore the OS. Yes, the Surface tablets have a specific Windows SKU. And yes, the Surface Pro 2 supports the Windows 10 upgrade as well.

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Ahhh see the device comes with an Italian version of the OS with an English add on pack.

Whats the best way for me to reinstall but with a full English OS by default on it?

Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Had a look online and according to a guide on XDA forums the SKU is simply an X64 Windows 8 PRO one...It's not specific to the tablet itself, it's the same one as can and is installed on a laptop/desktop.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't have surface but have other windows tablet.

I also have an iPad here. As fellow customer I was thinking that windows tablet was going to replace my iPad but I was wrong.

They both entirely different thing not even close. It's like comparing bicycle with motorcycle both has 2 tired but different.

iPad gave me great entertainment and social media experience while my windows tablet greatly support my academic. I'm rarely bring any books these days and only bring both tablet and my laptop around campus.

Sometimes I'm becomes forgot how to write LOL. My aspire P3 doesn't come with it.

My colleague call me gadgets geek but it's not because I'm staring at them all the time but because I carry them around. In fact it's convenient to have multiple devices here.

Until lot of apps come around I think iPad still do it's job but my P3 do everything great.

But it's really suck when coding lol

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a look online and according to a guide on XDA forums the SKU is simply an X64 Windows 8 PRO one...It's not specific to the tablet itself, it's the same one as can and is installed on a laptop/desktop.
Oh yeah, the PRO models are just like a laptop or any other PC where you can install the standard OS. It was the Windows RT models like my previous Surface 2 that have a special SKU that I was thinking of.
Anyway, have you installed Windows 10 yet?

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Oh yeah, the PRO models are just like a laptop or any other PC where you can install the standard OS. It was the Windows RT models like my previous Surface 2 that have a special SKU that I was thinking of.
Anyway, have you installed Windows 10 yet?
Ahhh cool! That makes sense 😊 and it hasn't come yet 😔 I thought I'd have it by the weekend and then I found out the seller was currently in Romania and that's where he sent it from!

I was wondering about Win 10 yanno... All the threads on here about it on the SP2 seem to be saying how it heats the device up and drains the battery! So may stick with 8.1...which would be a shame 😔

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I love my Surface Pro 2 machines! I can't live without them. Definitely my go-to machines out of my 2 desktops, 2 SP2, 1 S3, and 1 Acer S7.

Battery life in Windows 8.1 is pretty good especially if you turn down brightness and turn off Bluetooth. Battery life in Windows 10 right now is pretty terrible. And Windows 10 will run the machine pretty hard even at idle. One of my SP2 machines has a clean installation of Windows 10 and the fan is running so often and the CPU is hot. So luckily my main SP2 stayed Windows 8.1 because 8.1 is mature and stable. My secondary SP2 is Windows 10.

sheppy1

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
It came today and it's in mint condition! All my accessories are here too 😊. Installed my glass screen protector right away! Just reinstalling the OS now

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'll agree my SP2's battery life took a hit after Windows 10, but it's not running warn or anything. Thankfully MS know about it and are looking to improve battery life with the next update in November

Cain69

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Run a battery report. It will tell you where you stand.
Can't give you link because I have low number of posts... but search windowscentral.com-->search: "generate-battery-report-windows-10"

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Run a battery report. It will tell you where you stand.
Can't give you link because I have low number of posts... but search windowscentral.com-->search: "generate-battery-report-windows-10"

Yeah you type in powercfg -batteryreport into the command prompt. I generated a report five days after upgrading and the usage time had decreased from 5 hours to 3? :S yikes. Luckily, it still (barely) makes it through the day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET