Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10. How Ca I Fix It?

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10

I am only posting this here to see if any of you have had this problem with your Surface Pro 3's since the Firmware Updates and Windows 10 Install...

There is an increasingly large thread about these issues at the Windows Support Community (but none of Microsoft's staff seem to be helping the issue at all) - and most commenters believe that it is hardware issue.... These problems only started happening to me after the 9/15 firmware update to the Surface Pro 3 (admittedly, the update didn't take after the first 5 tries - but on the 6th try - it took and then messed everything up).

Here is the gist:

While going to use your Surface Pro 3 (mouse input, pen input, touch input) the mouse cursor inexplicitly flies to the corners of the screen and likes to right-click over and over again like your computer is possessed by an interdimensional demon.

At first I thought it was a problem with the Surface Pen, because I'd go to use it on the screen, and it would keep flying to the upper-right hand corner and start "right-clicking" and showing the context menu over and over and over again. This would happen without the pen even touching the screen.

So then I put the pen away and just tried my bluetooth arch mouse. Guess what? Same exact behavior.

I turned the Blueooth Arch Mouse off, turned off bluetooth on my Surface Pro 3, and then tried to use the mouse on the touch cover... Guess what? Same damn thing.

Next I unplugged the type cover and decided to just use the touch screen... Same thing. Scrolling wouldn't work - the "touch point" would continue to either go to the upper-right hand corner, the upper left-hand corner, or the lower left hand corner.

Scouring the forums, many have argued that this is an issue with certain types of lights and radio interference, so I have moved my Surface around the house and around a coffee shop to no avail.

I have formatted my Surface and reinstalled Windows 10 and all updates. Still no luck.

I have used different mice and different keyboards - no luck. Sometimes it doesn't happen and sometimes it's all that happens.

This is ridiculous. Anyone else having these issues on here? I'm gonna have to send this to Microsoft and ask for a new one if this keeps happening. At this point, I'd imagine that I'd get more work done on iPad Pro than the Surface Pro 3.

The track pad doesn't work, the pen doesn't work, the touch screen doesn't work, and all external (bluetooth and usb) mice don't work! What are we supposed to do?!? Use the Keyboard and Learn all the ALT commands?!? HELP!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ce-pro-3/2446849e-9a9d-4a03-821f-14ac9011141f

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10

SP3 - Win 10 - I do not have this issue
I will admit it seemed a bit slow to respond a few times just after the upgrade to Win10, however the firmware update fixed my issues.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10

I'm sure you've checked this, but it sounds like the mouse / touch sensitivity is cranked to the max, so the slightest mouse / touch command is interpreted as a much bigger movement. But what's weird is that you're seeing it using the type cover, BT mouse, etc. I'm guessing this didn't happen prior to the FW / Win 10 upgrade?

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

So...this just started happening to me after yesterday's update...nobody else is having this problem?

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

I have the same issue.. 1/3 of screen, up and down in a straight line. Demon obsessed touch inputs... It stops when I turn of the touch display. In my case I relate this to the screen burn issue. I wrote about that few minutes ago.

dfongus

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

I am having similar problems. Random ghost clicking in the top right corner, and sometimes any input results in the right click function. As well, my fingers are not registering with the screen--only the pen or touchpad will work. Has only been occuring after updating to windows 10, and has been increasing in frequency and disruption recently. No idea what causes it; problems come and go at will.

z l

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10. How Ca I Fix It?

Surface Pro 4 with Plugable-DP connected to a 4K display. Mouse intermittently behave erratic. Unplug and re-plug does not solve the problem. Found out that the mouse can work normal by accident with the type-cover disconnected. It has to be the internal driver conflict when both devices are connected..

Nickie06

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 Erratic Mouse, Pen, & Touch Screen Cursor Behavior in Windows 10. How Ca I Fix It?

Same issue and it is driving me cray cray... Did you find a solution?

corbinmarius

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site

This Surface Pro 3 is the most expensive and the worst computer I bought in the last 10 years.
I have a 10 year old Toshiba that still work fine but the Surface pro 3 has been a pain.

The screen started detaching itself from the frame. Turned out to be the battery that was inflating from the heat and pushing the screen. Solution, I took out the battery and connected it directly. I could replace the battery but would have the same problem down the road. Now it runs cooler at about 140 to 160 degrees.

Then the cursor started moving around the screen by itself. I tried everything that is recommended on this site and Microsoft site. disabled the touchscreen, the pen, added a foil under the mouse and a few other things.
Finally it seems that updating to Windows 10 has solved it. After 2 days the cursor has not started to jump yet.

Can you imagine a 10 year old Toshiba (paid $700. then for it) works fine after 10 years and a 2 year old Microsoft Surface Pro (paid $2,700.) is dying....
Which brand will I buy next?

tdoswald

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site

Finally, Someone described properly. Taken over by Interdimensional Beings. The IB theory is better than anything else I have seen. I reformatted, reinstalled. I even bought a new Type Cover figuring the early version wasn't good.

IB causes the mouse to stop working, jump rando around screen, mostly top right and center. I see some ghost mouse pings (quick circle pops) and the Action Center keeps flying out.

My issues comes up when docked with the Type Cover on and the Surface Dock connected to my external Dell monitor via a MD Port to DVI connection.

Seems most prevalent when first docking to the Suraface Dock.

Wired and Arc mouse show the same behavior.

For now, I have been one day without issue since only docking without type cover.

I do note that one MS post said to make sure Windows Update happens with Type Cover installed.

Also just bought the MS Dock (I know glutton). and will try that.

-TD

Martin Smith12

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site

Finally, Someone described properly. Taken over by Interdimensional Beings. The IB theory is better than anything else I have seen. I reformatted, reinstalled. I even bought a new Type Cover figuring the early version wasn't good.

IB causes the mouse to stop working, jump rando around screen, mostly top right and center. I see some ghost mouse pings (quick circle pops) and the Action Center keeps flying out.

My issues comes up when docked with the Type Cover on and the Surface Dock connected to my external Dell monitor via a MD Port to DVI connection.

Seems most prevalent when first docking to the Suraface Dock.

Wired and Arc mouse show the same behavior.

For now, I have been one day without issue since only docking without type cover.

I do note that one MS post said to make sure Windows Update happens with Type Cover installed.

Also just bought the MS Dock (I know glutton). and will try that.

-TD

This 100% describes what my Surface Pro 4 is doing. Very annoying. I'm thinking of holding a seance. Or maybe taking some compressed air to make sure nothing is trapped under the keyboard.

vigidr

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site

This 100% describes what my Surface Pro 4 is doing. Very annoying. I'm thinking of holding a seance. Or maybe taking some compressed air to make sure nothing is trapped under the keyboard.

Hi, I'd like to share my experience with a similar issue: In my case the curser suddenly started jumping to right top corner every so often. The Surface 3 Pro was on a desk when I visited a friend, where this problem occured. I took the Surface off the desk, on my lap, and it stopped.

I've put it back to desk (almost same position), and it occured again. This leads to a suggestion that it must be something outside the Surface. Indeed, moving a lamp a bit more far away solved this. So it was about an electric field of a lamp.

So, if anyone reads this, having a similar issue, you should check your evnironment for running electric devices, and move them away from your Surface.

coraphise

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I'd like to share my experience with a similar issue: In my case the curser suddenly started jumping to right top corner every so often. The Surface 3 Pro was on a desk when I visited a friend, where this problem occured. I took the Surface off the desk, on my lap, and it stopped.

I've put it back to desk (almost same position), and it occured again. This leads to a suggestion that it must be something outside the Surface. Indeed, moving a lamp a bit more far away solved this. So it was about an electric field of a lamp.

So, if anyone reads this, having a similar issue, you should check your evnironment for running electric devices, and move them away from your Surface.

Lovely thought, and glad it worked for you. However, I doubt this is my issue unless I'm the one generating said electric field. I have this phantom ghost touch issue at my desk at home, in my rocking chair, at the church during boy scout meetings, at my friends place while gaming - mine sadly isn't an issue with electric fields.

I've had this happening for a long time, since somewhere after updating to Windows 10. I've seriously considered downgrading to Windows 8.1 to "fix" this, but I don't think it will honestly. I'm convinced mine at least is hardware or firmware related.

Not that I recommend doing this, but I can press hard where the phantom touch occurs and it will stop for a while. How long varies.

So, back to searching for a fix I go. If I find something I'll post back.

coraphise

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Lovely thought, and glad it worked for you. However, I doubt this is my issue unless I'm the one generating said electric field. I have this phantom ghost touch issue at my desk at home, in my rocking chair, at the church during boy scout meetings, at my friends place while gaming - mine sadly isn't an issue with electric fields.

I've had this happening for a long time, since somewhere after updating to Windows 10. I've seriously considered downgrading to Windows 8.1 to "fix" this, but I don't think it will honestly. I'm convinced mine at least is hardware or firmware related.

Not that I recommend doing this, but I can press hard where the phantom touch occurs and it will stop for a while. How long varies.

So, back to searching for a fix I go. If I find something I'll post back.

Like I said... I'll post back. :)

I FINALLY had enough of this ghost touch business and just kept searching. I came across another post online that utilized a Sony calibration tool to fix the issue. I'm not sure of the cause, but it seems to be a mis-calibration and this took care of it for me.

The utility as I said comes from Sony, UNOOTH-P0112513-1082.EXE, linked below.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVF14N13CXB&upd_id=9338&os_group_id=27

As the instructions say, READ FIRST then act. When they said disconnect everything, I did. I held the tablet in my hand with no keyboard for the actual process of running this utility. I saw a command window with a bunch of "In progress" messages scroll by, and it closed. I waited to make sure something else wasn't going to happen, shut down my tablet and waited a minute or so before turning it back on. The page doesn't say "wait 30 seconds" or anything specific, just shutdown and turn it on. My delay was from being distracted. :)

My screen now seems to function as expected; I can actually utilize the full touch screen again and as of right now, about 30 minutes post install of the fix, I have not seen any signs of a ghost touch.

Because I'm a big fan of giving credit, I followed through this chain:

https://www.lovemysurface.net/phantom-touches-on-surface/
Comment by "Dale" on Jan 7, 2016, 7:01 PM

https://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-3/348806-5.htm#post3343907
Comment by "DALEcz" on 12-16-2015 at 9:32 AM

He called out the file UNOOTH-P0112513-1082.EXE which I searched for since he couldn't link when he posted that; the search lead me back to Sony's site as indicated.

Hopefully this will help anyone else still experiencing this issue if other suggestions haven't helped.

Returning to being a big-time lurker now... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo