MS has become an absolute embarassment!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought that was buying a tablet when I bought Surface. Now I get this kluge that is neither tablet nor competent laptop. Worse, with Windows 10, it now has fewer features than when I bought it. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT THAT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have personal experience, and it wasn't good. I no longer have Bluestacks installed.

I have never even gotten Bluestacks to work in the first place! Every machine I've tried it on said that it couldn't install because of graphics requirements. I never really needed it; just wanted to play with it. I didn't waste more time on it.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
LOL, "I'm going to show Microsoft by spending MORE money for an Apple product that does less."

Enjoy.

Do less for more $. Really? Because it integrates with Office, is able to split the screen like I am now doing with SP3, and drag and drop between the two windows. Additionally, MS already said they were integrating OneNote with it as well.

So yeah, whatever, I'll be doing the SAME office type applications on a device that if there are issues, are fixed quickly and painlessly.

I am not an Apple fan by any means. I use Android for my phone and have this SP3 for work. But as I said, I'm tired of the same BS every single year from MS.

And your comment is EXACTLY why people are fed up with them. Instead of acting like a clown or going after the company I mentioned, perhaps if everyone else felt the same way, and there are PLENTY that do but are afraid or don't want to say anything, because God forbid we might be wrong about the investment we made into the SP3.

Tired of the charade. I've got the $ to spend, so I'll spend it on something that just works.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
But you know what - check out the Apple support forums too. For a company that writes its own OS for its own hardware - a controlled and limited subset of hardware - it still has a TON of issues.

All computers have issues no matter who makes them or writes the OS. Good luck switching, you will find similar or different frustrations no matter where you go and whatever you run.

Really? I had a MacAir, 2 different versions, for almost 4 years. I NEVER had an issue one time with any of them. Not once.

I LOVED the look and idea of the SP3. When it came out I was convinced that this was the machine for me. Taking notes was one of the bigger deals for me. Perfect.

3 different SP3's later for replacement, constant overheating issues, battery problems, crashing of OneNote in middle of note taking, pen not being recognized, wifi being broken, and I am DONE. I'll NEVER trust another MS device again. Ever.

And again, my daily driver is an Android phone. I don't like the iPhone. But why do people buy Apple products? Do you know why?

Sure they have little issues here and there. But they don't last long because when Apple fixes something via updates, THEY FIX IT. They don't BREAK IT MORE.

it's amateur hour at MS. I feel like they are interns in a summer job and Apple are experienced seasoned pro's.

I don't really care too much for Apple MacAir's in terms of design and the OS itself. Not a huge fan. BUT I NEED SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I perform tech support and have no issues on 58 conversions. Actually, I'm impressed with with the upgrade process and how many different machines are covered effectively.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Ever seen a case/product with 100% satisfaction and flawless operation? Need I say more?

No.Never..but I have never seen so many of the same types of problems on a machine that was a full 14 months old, then a change to new updated software in Windows 10 that made the experience WORSE.

FACT - MS had a full year to iron out the issues on the SP3 and had not resolved many of the major issues most were experiencing.

I had to return 3 units to get one that worked. 3. Talk about wasting my time.

In my time with MacAir, I never returned 1 in 4 years of using it. So you trying to tell me I am the "exception" to that? It took 3 to get the HARDWARE right than another 9 months to try and get kinks worked out of the software, only to see an "upgrade" to 10 which seemed to make things work less AND now how long until they get the bugs worked out of the this one?

Put it this way - I spend $$ on new tech..all the time...I would have GLADLY plunked down more $ on a SP4 had this one not given me so many problems. I suspect there are many more like me that feel the same way.

Apple releases new phones, for instance, every 6 months and many people upgrade to the next iteration despite their "older" model working just fine. I upgrade every year to a new Android phone because IT WORKS. If there were massive problems I would abandon it or at least not upgrade.

Tech companies count on people like me. MS blew it..period. They had a chance to make their mark get take back lost market share to Apple and Android and they blew it.

Tired of making excuses. I did everything to give this a chance..I WANTED SP3 to succeed so I could get my company switched over (I am responsible for making the call on that), but now, ZERO chance that will happen. That's 47 users that would have had SP4's in the very least that now will not. And my company is TINY in comparison.

Half baked half assed attempts like this kill credibility.

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Before tossing ANY Wifi device check and see if it's not your Gateway/router. Try changing the channel from auto to 5,6, or 11. I thought it was a bad up date on my L1020 messing up Wifi till I got a Roku TV in the same room. After changing the gateway's channel to 6 my WIfi would always stay strong. The reason was that my neighbors routers would bump heads with mine if they're using the same channel causing my signal to not be as strong.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Really? I had a MacAir, 2 different versions, for almost 4 years. I NEVER had an issue one time with any of them. Not once.

I LOVED the look and idea of the SP3. When it came out I was convinced that this was the machine for me. Taking notes was one of the bigger deals for me. Perfect.

3 different SP3's later for replacement, constant overheating issues, battery problems, crashing of OneNote in middle of note taking, pen not being recognized, wifi being broken, and I am DONE. I'll NEVER trust another MS device again. Ever.

And again, my daily driver is an Android phone. I don't like the iPhone. But why do people buy Apple products? Do you know why?

Sure they have little issues here and there. But they don't last long because when Apple fixes something via updates, THEY FIX IT. They don't BREAK IT MORE.

it's amateur hour at MS. I feel like they are interns in a summer job and Apple are experienced seasoned pro's.

I don't really care too much for Apple MacAir's in terms of design and the OS itself. Not a huge fan. BUT I NEED SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!

I'm really not sure how was your experience with Apple and really hope you could be better with your future iPad Pro.
But man, my experience with Apple is full of bugs after each update on my iPad Air 2... Yep, my Air 2 only work "good" out of box, after that, every official updates from Apple are full of bugs and issue.
Now I'm here looking at my iPad and trying it decide if I should update to iOS 9.0.2 or not... Previous updates caused my iPad to overheat, crashing apps, crashing UI, slow down speed...

So... yah, compare the current iPad Air 2 with my ultra old surface RT, the surface RT is the one that work, not iPad. And I don't expect that.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to see a comparison between manufacturers of device returns, reasons for returns, repeat returns and customer satisfaction rate.

MorganRW

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
When I upgraded to W10 on my work laptop, I too had problems with networking and other issues. Everything for me was fixed when I reinstalled a clean full install instead of the upgrade. It seems issues inherited from earlier OS versions just get passed along so starting over fresh fixes a lot of ills. Of course you have to reinstall Office and other programs but I found that those applications too ran much better so it really is worth it. Personally I saw the RT Surface as a toy since it was not the full OS. I also saw S1, 2, and 3 as something new and figured they would nail it with the 4th gen. If I were to pull the trigger on a Surface, 4 would be it. As far as those on here touting Apple as the promised land, don't be so fast to jump. I just sat next to a guy at the game yesterday who complained that his shiny new 6s was eating battery and crashing all the time. I also loved hearing an iFan tell me that the iPad Pro is a "game changer". Yes if strapping a keyboard and adding stylus support to an iPad with essentially the same OS as the current iPad/Phone is a game changer then I don't know why MS even bothers with the Surface line. This is tech people. Every platform has it's problems and limitations. I guess I have been lucky as I rarely have had a problem that I or tech support could not fix. For the people who complain that every device they have doesn't work, I have to wonder if they are doing something or changing something they shouldn't be changing. Or adding software or registry cleaners or such that are not necessary and cause more problems than they solve.

kevgallacher

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I have had the SP3 since release and don't have these issues at all.
There is sometimes a few bugs or what not after an update like WiFi issues but I usually just clear my temp files, clean the registry then restart to fix these, usually sorts it. I have had a few lock ups but restarting it sorts it. The device gets warm during heavy use, especially with games and HD video but nothing I would think of as overheating, the fan noise is probably the worst part. Battery life seems a little weaker since moving to win 10. But I still get a solid 5+ hrs of web browsing, not the 9 hours that MS claim but what device does? The worst thing about Surface Pro's is the keyboard, I have problems connecting it sometimes. The same thing happened with SP1.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Do less for more $. Really? Because it integrates with Office, is able to split the screen like I am now doing with SP3, and drag and drop between the two windows. Additionally, MS already said they were integrating OneNote with it as well.

So yeah, whatever, I'll be doing the SAME office type applications on a device that if there are issues, are fixed quickly and painlessly.

I am not an Apple fan by any means. I use Android for my phone and have this SP3 for work. But as I said, I'm tired of the same BS every single year from MS.

And your comment is EXACTLY why people are fed up with them. Instead of acting like a clown or going after the company I mentioned, perhaps if everyone else felt the same way, and there are PLENTY that do but are afraid or don't want to say anything, because God forbid we might be wrong about the investment we made into the SP3.

Tired of the charade. I've got the $ to spend, so I'll spend it on something that just works.

You know what I'm not going after Microsoft? It's because you're the EXCEPTION. My sister's first and only Surface Pro 3 has had no defects. I've had my 920 almost 3 years, not had a reason to send it in. As for my comments, they're 100% accurate.

"spending MORE money"

The Surface Pro 3 and iPad Pro start at the same price. However, the iPad Pro's keyboard is $40 more than the SP3's Type Cover. Also, the SP3 comes with the Surface Pen, but you have to pay another $100 for the Apple Pencil (if you need a Surface Pen separately, it's half that price). So, you're paying an extra $140 for the iPad Pro.

"an Apple product that does less"

Of course, your definition of that is incredibly stupid. Your comeback is "I can use Office and two apps." You can resize windows on a SP3 in more than just two ways. You can do 4-way snap on W10, or you can have something other than a 50-50 split if you go with 2 apps. Snapping and resizing on W10 is MUCH more flexible than what iOS does. Oh, and don't forget that you aren't getting anything and everything Office has on iOS without that Office 365 subscription. You can get a non-365 version on Windows (I have 2007, since it works fine), and then you have full Office without needs to pay annually to access it.

Now, there's more to a computer than Office and two-way multitasking. The SP3 is an x86 device, enjoying all of the benefits of x86 support. You can put Steam games on the SP3, if you're so inclined (granted, you don't want anything too crazy, as it's not built for high-end gaming). You can throw on things like code compilers, if you're into software design. You can get the full versions of things like PhotoShop. You can get access to things like a Control Panel, Task Manager, the full File Explorer, and so on with a SP3.

Don't forget that with the SP3, you also get a full USB port. You also get a microSD slot. So, you can do things like add storage and use external HDDs. You can use a wired mouse or keyboard. You can get a Logitech multi-device wireless receiver and pair a better mouse and keyboard to the SP3. You can plug straight in to a printer. You can grab a flash drive and throw stuff on it for friends. You can plug in a headset to talk to people in semi-privacy. You can do all kinds of things with a USB port.

If you're trying to argue that the SP3 CAN'T do more than an iPad Pro, then you should just head over to iMore and ask for a glass of the Kool-Aid there. Disputing what I said shows you're not seriously interested in intelligent discussion or thought, you just want spoon-fed technology and how to do everything.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to argue that the SP3 CAN'T do more than an iPad Pro, then you should just head over to iMore and ask for a glass of the Kool-Aid there.

I agree with your post for the most part, but the fact that the SP3 CAN do more than the iPad Pro doesn't mean that it will be used in that way.

My VW Jetta will probably go over 100 MPH, but I've never had it over about 75 MPH. In the same way, anyone I've seen use a Windows tablet didn't use it for more than could be done with an iPad or Android tablet. And, often their experience is not as good because the OS is not designed for touch and a small screen.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your post for the most part, but the fact that the SP3 CAN do more than the iPad Pro doesn't mean that it will be used in that way.

My VW Jetta will probably go over 100 MPH, but I've never had it over about 75 MPH. In the same way, anyone I've seen use a Windows tablet didn't use it for more than could be done with an iPad or Android tablet. And, often their experience is not as good because the OS is not designed for touch and a small screen.

Yes, no, maybe.

For a lot of people, that might be the case. For the majority, it's possible. However, my mom spent the last couple of years on an iPad Mini and ditched her laptop. She recently picked up the Yoga 3 because she needed something functional for doing real work, like typing papers. MAYBE the iPad Pro can fill that need. However, give the insane price of the thing, even banking on it for that is rather silly.

As for W10 and touch, I think it's decent. It's not PERFECT for touch, but you can easily argue that iOS isn't perfect for non-touch input as well. I haven't had much of a chance to use W10 via touch, but in the time I was upgrading some SP2s to W10 at work, I didn't have any troubles. The only part where it seemed that going with touch might be a rough go is working with something like Excel or PowerPoint. However, that just leads me back to my point about a SP3 over an iPad Pro all over again--I can just throw on the Type Cover and use the trackpad, or I can use the USB port to connect a mouse. With an iPad Pro, that's not an option. You can get by, but I think that an iOS device is going to be slower and a bit more clunky/clumsy for such activities.

Where W10 isn't elegant for touch, you can go with non-touch input. In iOS, you're rigidly forced into an awkward mix of touch input and a keyboard, and there's nothing you can do, as iOS doesn't give you mouse support (at least, via USB; can it use a Bluetooth mouse?).

Novanglus

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I've been a Mac user since my Mac Plus, probably before any of you here were born. I've seen it all come and go. I had the original iPad, the 2, and currently have two Minis. I had an iPhone 4 and 5. When Windows 8 came out, I laughed and laughed at what a terrible piece of crap the kludge of a UI was. Then 8.1 came out, and it got a little better. The 10, and it became apparent to me that MSFT had finally awoken. The company seems focused to me now and their products are improving be big leaps. Because Windows Phone was so far behind, they were essentially giving away Lumias, so when it came time to add a line for my law practice, I got a 920. Pretty nice phone. Lagged the iPhone pretty massively. No apps. Felt like an alpha product. But the came 10 mobile insider. Since then, I dropped my iPhone and bought dual sim 640 as a placeholder for a dual sim 950XL. I like where MSFT is headed. I also bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro when 8.1 was out and hated it. Piece of crap, but with 10, it is like a brand new machine, And it absolutely smokes my two iPad minis. The UI is more responsive and browsing most sites is considerably faster. So, once I started to see how well MSFT was doing at pushing their one OS vision, I come here and read all the whining and moaning about MSFT. I find it downright hysterical. MSFT is becoming the focused company and Apple is the one losing their way. How many OS's now? WatchOS, tvOS, iOS, OS X.... I'd look before you leap, because trust me, as an Apple defector, Apple is doing plenty itself at driving customers away.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, no, maybe.

Pretty much the idea I was trying to convey! I know that overall the Surface Pro is more capable, but acknowledge that the capabilities aren't often fully utilized.

I guess I would kind of look at it like WP fans talk about their phones: they mostly acknowledge that iOS and Android have more capabilities, yet at the same time say that their WPs do as much as they need. It is often the same people arguing opposite directions, depending on which device they're talking about.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much the idea I was trying to convey! I know that overall the Surface Pro is more capable, but acknowledge that the capabilities aren't often fully utilized.

I guess I would kind of look at it like WP fans talk about their phones: they mostly acknowledge that iOS and Android have more capabilities, yet at the same time say that their WPs do as much as they need. It is often the same people arguing opposite directions, depending on which device they're talking about.

It's kind of similar, but not quite. The WP limitations are on the developer's end. The iPad's are an architectural limitation that CANNOT be resolved. If Astoria and Islandwood work out on W10M, then the apps will potentially flood the market. The only solution for app shortages on the iPad Pro are to either hope every developer wants to go recode a decade-old application for iOS, or the person has to buy a second device.

The other difference is price. Windows Phones have typically been cheaper than their iOS alternatives, with maybe the ICON and 1520 as exceptions (and even they might have been $50-100 cheaper than the competing iOS flagships at the time). The iPad Pro pairs its permanent deficiencies with a higher price tag than the more-functional competition. I mean, sure, I don't do high-end gaming on my PC, I rarely fire up the older stuff. I don't do CAD or PhotoShop work, either. However, there's something to be said about having the OPTION to use such things, and that is also true in the WP app deficiency discussion. But, again, there are ways to improve that. The iOS-x86 thing can't be fixed by a port. It requires a total rebuilding of the software. Steam isn't going to be showing up on iOS, but we might see Snapchat on Windows 10 Mobile.

AWD4416

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I think there are way too many people expecting too much from the devices they purchase.

Doing complete OS update with a limited set of compatible hardware is hard (i.e. Apple). Now imagine doing that same upgrade with virtually an infinite number of compatible hardware (i.e. Microsoft). The rule of thumb for OS upgrades has always been and will always be to do a fresh install for best results.

The problem I see is that most people continually refuse to learn about their tech and cry about it when things go wrong. Professionally its great for me as it keeps me employed but sometimes I have to speak up on behalf of said tech to clear up the BS.

Ultimately don't be caught up on being a fan boy and jump ships if you must. The grass is always greener :wink:

Below is some of my personal experience with tech that I think was great/terrible.

Fail list:
Win Vista - WTF
HTC Touch Pro 2 - MS dropped support for Win Mobile 6.x, I went down with the ship :cry:
Samsung Epic 4G - took almost a year for Froyo, no support afterwards
iPhone 4s - 5g Wi-Fi never really work right before it was replaced by a 5s
Mac Book Pro Early 2006 - No support for OSX 10.7 or above
iPhone 5s - Random lockups on software up to iOS 8
Win 8 - WTF part duex
Samsung ATIV S Neo - dam I hate this phone

Win list:
Palm Treo - My first smart phone and it was really great
Win Mobile 6 - it was great at its time
Win 8.1 - a great start, I was actually upset when I saw the first Win 10 preview
OSX + iOS - great combo if you go all the way :winktongue:
MS Band - awesome device if you use it for realz
Samsung ATI S Neo - Win Phone 8.1 is great (still hate the phone)
Surface Pro - great product
Win 10 - finally the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention