Where is USB-C?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I was really excited about both the SP4 and Surface Book announcements... until I realized that USB-C seems to be nowhere in sight?

Why on Earth would they leave that out? I have been stuck on a USB2 laptop for a lot of years, and it has made moving data painful many times. I want to invest in a top of the line new computer, and I thought one of the new Surfaces would be it, but now I am wavering. I realize USB3 is pretty fast for transfers... but why limit the device to that?

And I was really hoping to be able to charge my Surface or my new phone with the same charger.

Frustrated, because these devices were so close to what I wanted and are just missing one feature I was looking forward to. If I'm going to spend a ton of money on a new computer, I really want it to include the newest USB tech... there's no adding it later. :-(

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
USB-C is just a new plug though, I thought? No faster than any other USB plug at 3/3.1 speeds. Also, nothing much will use 3.1 speeds as that'd take a v. fast SSD which seems of limited usefulness in an external drive context.

Heck, my Yoga2 doesn't even get great USB3 speeds, probably due to the mobile CPU.

USB3 will solve your problem. USB-C doesn't sound like it'd help to me.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is supposed to be capable of being faster. Like you said, storage devices may not have advanced far enough to utilize any extra speed though.

To me, it's a bit more about power and convenience for now. As I said, you could bring a single charger that could charge either your phone or the Surface. I also love the fact that you don't have to insert the connector right side up. The smaller size would be of benefit to a tablet as well... I found it very strange that Panos specifically said the only reason they didn't make the SP4 thinner was because of the USB port... when using USB-C would have solved that issue (though there is of course value to having the legacy port style as well as USB-C, so that you don't need an adapter). I also don't particularly care if they could have shaved another mm off anyway, but the point is it seemed strange he said that when there was another option.

I am definitely hesitant to buy another laptop that I would like to get five years out of and have it come with last generation USB. I did that last time, and have been unhappy about it the last few years. I'm not sure we even know yet what USB-C may be used for in the future... I'd like to be able to use it if something comes along though.

MetalxAssassinx

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I was also sad about the same topic, it is not about how fast it is but the features in it.
So first of all, many phones and televisions and monitors and many, many other gadgets will use usb type c.
It is not only reversible and smaller, but it will also be able to stream up to 4K, transfers way faster and charges faster.

Still, Microsoft did really a great job on these devices, it is not a deal breaker for me, but it would have been nice to have it all.

Edit: Oh and forget to say, would pick that magnetic charger everyday if they forced us to charge from a usb port.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I believe it is supposed to be capable of being faster. Like you said, storage devices may not have advanced far enough to utilize any extra speed though.

To me, it's a bit more about power and convenience for now. As I said, you could bring a single charger that could charge either your phone or the Surface. I also love the fact that you don't have to insert the connector right side up. The smaller size would be of benefit to a tablet as well... I found it very strange that Panos specifically said the only reason they didn't make the SP4 thinner was because of the USB port... when using USB-C would have solved that issue (though there is of course value to having the legacy port style as well as USB-C, so that you don't need an adapter). I also don't particularly care if they could have shaved another mm off anyway, but the point is it seemed strange he said that when there was another option.

I am definitely hesitant to buy another laptop that I would like to get five years out of and have it come with last generation USB. I did that last time, and have been unhappy about it the last few years. I'm not sure we even know yet what USB-C may be used for in the future... I'd like to be able to use it if something comes along though.

Nah the other guy is right.

USB A/B/C are just form factors. USB 3.0/3.1 are protocols/standards.

Surprising how so many people who want USB C don't know it is just a cosmetic change.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Nah the other guy is right.

USB A/B/C are just form factors. USB 3.0/3.1 are protocols/standards.

Surprising how so many people who want USB C don't know it is just a cosmetic change.

But it's not just cosmetic. As I have said many times, my issue isn't with speed... I want universal power compatibility and the convenience of not having to orient connectors. Those are not "cosmetic" differences.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
But it's not just cosmetic. As I have said many times, my issue isn't with speed... I want universal power compatibility and the convenience of not having to orient connectors. Those are not "cosmetic" differences.

There aren't many USB C type connections out there right now. The only thing I know that has them are some MOBOs, Macbook, and the upcoming Lumia Phones. So which of these other devices do you have? Cause as it is right now it wouldn't give you much universal power unless you one or the other.

It's nice to have for future proof, but in 2 years it would probably be a bit more common.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
USB type C has the same transfer speeds as it is USB 3.0/3.1; but it supports reversible connectivity and I believe up to 100W so in theory can be used for charging and connecting to screens, etc...
But as of now there aren't a lot of USB-C devices so i'd rather have the regular USB. What they could have done was one regular USB and one USB C. I think the next generation (I know SP4 isn't out yet but the next generation is already being developed, Panay even said so during the presentation) will most likely use a USB C for charging. C will also allow them to make the device thinner I believe

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I want USB Type-C to have one single standard for charging all of my Microsoft devices. Why have an event where every single device has a different charging port? It makes no sense. And for me it is a deal breaker on the SP4. I will get a Dell XPS 12 instead, because they actually have a clue about making devices with standard ports. Microsoft just released a very confused lineup of devices, no continuity at all, and not using standards, but proprietary ports. There really is no excuse for it. The Surface Dock should have used USB Type-C support USB 3.1 Gen 2, it would have accomplished the same thing.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How many usb 3 c devices do you currently own? Probable answer is none.

The Pro 5 will feature USB 3c.

P.s. The Sp4 charger has the extra USB slot to charge USB 3c after buying a cheap cable.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
How many usb 3 c devices do you currently own? Probable answer is none.

The Pro 5 will feature USB 3c.

P.s. The Sp4 charger has the extra USB slot to charge USB 3c after buying a cheap cable.

This is a silly excuse. There is no reason why new devices shouldn't have it. It is the future, and yet Microsoft is choosing to go with proprietary connectors to lock you into paying extra on their docks. It is not a decision that Microsoft has done here for the consumer. The whole point is I want to be able to charge all of my devices with the same chargers. This is why the Dell XPS 12 is superior in my mind. It allows you to use the whole range of 3rd party ThunderBolt 3 docks and accessories, plus universal charging.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
There is some method to their madness for keeping the mag charge port on the SP line. Mainly because it isn't just a power port for charging. It's a bus connector for the docking station(s).

I too would have liked to seen a Type-C USB port on the SP4, if they included a dongle adapter of a Type-C to a Type-A female. Granted, it would be something you have to carry around, and possibly lose.

I do agree with the others that the Type-C connector isn't quite everywhere, and that Microsoft kept the Type-A for compatibility, which in reality is a smart move on their part. Possibly with next generation they will lose the Type-A and go all in with the Type-C, as more and more devices come out with the Type-C connector.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
There is some method to their madness for keeping the mag charge port on the SP line. Mainly because it isn't just a power port for charging. It's a bus connector for the docking station(s).

I too would have liked to seen a Type-C USB port on the SP4, if they included a dongle adapter of a Type-C to a Type-A female. Granted, it would be something you have to carry around, and possibly lose.

I do agree with the others that the Type-C connector isn't quite everywhere, and that Microsoft kept the Type-A for compatibility, which in reality is a smart move on their part. Possibly with next generation they will lose the Type-A and go all in with the Type-C, as more and more devices come out with the Type-C connector.

The dock could have easily used a Thunderbolt 3 port using Type-C connector. I think the real reason is to lock consumers into the expensive 1st party accessories. At this point, I don't think we will ever see a non-proprietary docking port from Microsoft. This is a real shame looking at the cool eGPU docks Intel and others have been demoing. It's disappointing that Microsoft has chosen greed with accessory sales over better functionality and choice for customers.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The magnetic power port was also designed so the cable would cut away if someone comes along and walks by and trips over the cable at Starbucks without making the Surface go flying to the ground with it. With a USB-C power port, the cable would unlikely detach and would fling the Surface to the ground, no? It does seem strange to not include a 2nd USB-C port (you still need a full sized USB port for current gen flash drives, etc.). But honestly, it doesn't seem a deal breaker to me. I would imagine someone is going to release a nub converter that converts a full size USB to USB-C the size of a Logitech Unifying Receiver, which is just a small nub that barely sticks out.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The magnetic power port was also designed so the cable would cut away if someone comes along and walks by and trips over the cable at Starbucks without making the Surface go flying to the ground with it. With a USB-C power port, the cable would unlikely detach and would fling the Surface to the ground, no? It does seem strange to not include a 2nd USB-C port (you still need a full sized USB port for current gen flash drives, etc.). But honestly, it doesn't seem a deal breaker to me. I would imagine someone is going to release a nub converter that converts a full size USB to USB-C the size of a Logitech Unifying Receiver, which is just a small nub that barely sticks out.

The magnetic connector is certainly nice for tripping situations, as the USB Type-C will not quick disconnect like that. But I think the loss of functionality is too great. If you were to get an adapter from Type-A to Type-C on the one USB port the Surface does have, it won't support any of the new features like 10Gbps transfer, USB Power Delivery, Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort, etc. For me, the two biggest ones are charging of the device via Type-C to have continuity with the phones and Thunderbolt 3, which would allow eGPU docks to be connected for playing games.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the main thing here is, "Will use USB c"

They WILL. By the time USB c really hits the Surface Pro 5 will be out. Personally I'm SICK TO DEATH of having to buy new cables for things so USB 3 is perfectly fine to me.

Carlos Munoz4

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I know I am being very sarcastic but really Microsoft? I just watched them show off their new Lumia 950 phones, ok pretty cool. I like the idea of being able to connect my phone to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use it like a PC, very cool I get it. Then as I'm watching them show off the Surface Pro 4. OK I am expecting the most popular hardware that MS makes to be at least as update tech wise as their less popular phones. Nope, not going to happen with this generation of device. You'll have to wait to purchase next year's model to get that technology on the device. Wow, kind of let down since I was eyeing getting a new laptop, and MS keeps pushing how the Surface Pro is a laptop replacement. Well I guess it won't happen this year MS, maybe next year I'll get sucked into getting one, but not this year.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I think the main thing here is, "Will use USB c"

They WILL. By the time USB c really hits the Surface Pro 5 will be out. Personally I'm SICK TO DEATH of having to buy new cables for things so USB 3 is perfectly fine to me.

Also next year MS will update the Surface Dock to have a USB-C and keep the Surface Connect port for backwards compatibility. That way if an existing SP3/SP4 dock owner needs a new one, they can get it & be future-proofed once they buy a new Surface.

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
What are you talking about? it's not an accessory you have to purchase, the charger comes with the device, so I'm not seeing where greed factors into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo