What don't you like about it so far? I found two.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The finger print scanner is only available for black cover, (according to the microsoft order page)

And

the pen's eraser is on the top again, I hope they make us use the side buttons again. It's faster that way.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I'd love it if there was an option to Magnesium back plates. Seems to be a trend. Aside from customization I'd love it if the 550 had the ultra sensitive touch function of the 520.

longlifexs

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The pen only has one button and that is the right-click button (the upper one on the current pen). The erase button was replaced by the eraser on top. I'm not too happy about that - it might look fancier but the current button functionality is great for me as it allows switching between inking and erasing quickly.
I hope they will add other colors for the fingerprint-enabled covers later on. Although I'm probably just going to upgrade my SP3 to a SP4 which has the Hello camera anyway...
I also wonder if the hold-top-button-for-Cortana pen functionality can be enabled for the current (SP3) pen - it seems it could only require a simple software update.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Biggest gripe I have is no pen tilt recognition. After 4 generations you would think we'd have this by now. It's one upper hand the Apple iPad pro has! =P
I rather pen tilt than the eraser on top.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
One of the thing I prefer is the eraser back on top. I prefer turning my pen around to erase just like I would with a pencil. The Surface pen from the Surface pro 3 should work with SP4 so if you don't like it you could always get that one (although I don't know if it can invoke Cortana with a long push and it has less levels of pressure and non-replaceable tips)
But like you said, i'd like to see the fingerprint scanner on the other coloured covers. I know the camera supports windows hello on SP4, but fingerprint adds a second method and those coloured covers look so nice :) I'm impatient to see how the new teal option looks!

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Biggest gripe I have is no pen tilt recognition. After 4 generations you would think we'd have this by now. It's one upper hand the Apple iPad pro has! =P
I rather pen tilt than the eraser on top.

Tilt only works well with small brush sizes, if its bigger than the tip, it won't seem natural. So I'd still prefer the Surface Pen. Estimated to run for at least a year versus 12 hours. Have you seen how you're supposed to charge the Apple Pencil? It looks ridiculous. Surface Pen also have an eraser that feels like a real eraser. The Surface Pen also have swappable tips, and the tips serve different purposes, one feel like you're using a brush, the other a pencil, etc.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
The pen is on the left. Most people are right handed, so it seems to me that it would be sensible to be able to stick it on the right side.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The pen is on the left. Most people are right handed, so it seems to me that it would be sensible to be able to stick it on the right side.

i actually noticed that too, but there's a reason for it to be on the left.. when you put the tablet in portrait, the left side goes on top and the pen goes on top also.

coocooman3

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
The way the volume buttons are oriented. Didn't get a chance to check if they swap up and down depending on orientation. Have that set up on my phone and its beautiful

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One of the thing I prefer is the eraser back on top. I prefer turning my pen around to erase just like I would with a pencil. The Surface pen from the Surface pro 3 should work with SP4 so if you don't like it you could always get that one (although I don't know if it can invoke Cortana with a long push and it has less levels of pressure and non-replaceable tips)
But like you said, i'd like to see the fingerprint scanner on the other coloured covers. I know the camera supports windows hello on SP4, but fingerprint adds a second method and those coloured covers look so nice :) I'm impatient to see how the new teal option looks!
I'm kind of the opposite on the pen. It's considerably more inefficient to emulate an old fashioned way of doing things. A few minutes of sketching can get you used to the button method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans